StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't lose my keys very often. But I am planning to do a couple week trip next month and I would like to hide a spare key somewhere on the bike.

I'm thinking maybe duct taping it to the inside of the fairing?

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
817 Posts
if I told ya, I'd have to nix ya....:beatnik:

·
Registered
22,238 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
I keep mine in the tank bag or top case
I always camp so I'm not worry about someone steeling it.
The fairing sounds like a good spot how about a zip tie , I wouldn't trust the tape.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I keep one set in the ignition and another in my pocket and another at home, but the idea of around the next sounds ilk a good idea.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I used to keep a spare key set in lockable hard luggage and a luggage key duct taped inside the fairing. Carrying two key sets, each in different pockets, is all I do now.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I have a spare in my tank bag, hidden on the inside under the bottom foam. I also keep a key in my wallet which is always kept in a zippered interior pocket of my jacket(s) when I ride. I lost my ignition key once during a camping trip, and found it 3 months later when I unrolled my tent on the next trip. The wallet key saved my bacon.....

·
Registered
160 Posts
I just put an extra key in my shaving kit. I don't think anyone would want to steal that!

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have a spare in my tank bag, hidden on the inside under the bottom foam. I also keep a key in my wallet which is always kept in a zippered interior pocket of my jacket(s) when I ride. I lost my ignition key once during a camping trip, and found it 3 months later when I unrolled my tent on the next trip. The wallet key saved my bacon.....
Hey that's a good idea, I mean, as opposed to my spare key which is clipped to the key clip hanging right inside my tank bag.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I keep a spare for both the bike, and topcase in the cell-phone pocket of whatever jacket I've taken on the trip (I never leave my jacket hanging over my bike when I stop for anything - it's always with me).

If I lose the *main* key, AND the spare, I deserve to be stranded...

However, I *did* think of something else recently while getting a couple of spares made.
The spares are cheap if you use the standard ilco x241 suz18 blanks. Problem is they're not long enough to start the bike, because of the depth of the ignition well. HOWEVER, it's very simple (I've done it) to either grind or Dremel the corners off the lower left and lower right of the key "head." It will now fit into the ignition well.
All that said, I plan on hiding one *unmodified* key (that will not work the ignition, but *will* unlock the seat) somewhere accessible on the bike. Then hide a *modified* spare that *will* work in the ignition, duct-taped to the underside of a seat bracket, under the locked seat.
If you're still with me, that gives you a two step process (assuming you know where both keys are), to actually get the ignition key out from under the locked seat -- something very unlikely for someone uninformed to connect the dots.
Hopefully, going through the process to get the spare won't be a daily event... What I like about it, is you don't have to carry your spare around, and it's forgotten, until you need it...

·
Administrator
16,795 Posts
I have a sleeve pocket for my jacket, spare key goes in there. Otherwise I would say a tank bag or someplace inside of a top case or side case.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I put all three keys (adv bike) in a waterproof container like one for 35mm film....(camping store)....and wire tied it inside the left lower side of the fairing...if I look down while seated on the bike, just to the left of the forks, there is a small cubby/shelf that it fits into just fine, I can see it but unless you are specifically looking for them, you will never find them...this message will self destruct eventually....

·
Registered
554 Posts
Spare keys hanging on a hook, or maybe in a drawer, somewhere in the house - I can't remember. God help me if I lose my keys when I'm on a ride. Maybe I should rethink my strategies.

Escape the cage!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Even if I covered my eyes when I read the post?
:yesnod:..............

I use a magnetic key holder and stow it under fairing-ignition/seat key.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I keep a spare for both the bike, and topcase in the cell-phone pocket of whatever jacket I've taken on the trip (I never leave my jacket hanging over my bike when I stop for anything - it's always with me).

If I lose the *main* key, AND the spare, I deserve to be stranded...

However, I *did* think of something else recently while getting a couple of spares made.
The spares are cheap if you use the standard ilco x241 suz18 blanks. Problem is they're not long enough to start the bike, because of the depth of the ignition well. HOWEVER, it's very simple (I've done it) to either grind or Dremel the corners off the lower left and lower right of the key "head." It will now fit into the ignition well.
All that said, I plan on hiding one *unmodified* key (that will not work the ignition, but *will* unlock the seat) somewhere accessible on the bike. Then hide a *modified* spare that *will* work in the ignition, duct-taped to the underside of a seat bracket, under the locked seat.
If you're still with me, that gives you a two step process (assuming you know where both keys are), to actually get the ignition key out from under the locked seat -- something very unlikely for someone uninformed to connect the dots.
Hopefully, going through the process to get the spare won't be a daily event... What I like about it, is you don't have to carry your spare around, and it's forgotten, until you need it...
:sleep: :wink5:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts