StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am very excited, my VVME HID kit came in a today early and didn't get held up at all by Sandy.

So I was trying to come up with a plan here at work so my life will be easier this weekend when I install the lights.

This is not a motorcycle plug and kit being these are made for cars but I was going to cut off the battery leds (combining the 2 grounds together into one wire and running the negative and postive wires to my PC-8 (By doing this I can cut off the fuse on the power cable.)

Here is what I think I need:

- longer bolts with nuts in case I want to mount the ballasts like johnofchar did on vstrom message board
- 3m two sided tape in case I use that as my ballast mounting option.
- extra 14g wire to extend the wires to the PC-8
- heat shielding for the wire (I have been treading the wires on the side of the bike instead of under the tank.)

Let me know if I am missing anything, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I would advise using another secondary mounting device like zip ties to go with double sided tape for your ballasts. He vibration (especially on a motorcycle) will shake them off easily. I mounted mine back to back on the top middle of he headlight frame so as not to interfere with steering and kept in a cool place.
ImageUploadedByMO Free1351706535.956248.jpg
Steering is locked in this pic fyi

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well after reading some more it looks like I will need to do the second install where you drill into the sub frame becuase I have the 2011 ABS model. question for someone who has done this: what kindof spacers did you use and what size screws etc? I am alittle worried about drilling the sub frame...

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
3M Duo-Lock works fine. I had it on the '07. I did drill through the stiffening web on the front frame of the Glee to mount ballasts where John did on his Wee. The clearance problem he had isn't a problem on the Glee.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Add another person to the list of VVME HID users. With Nobie's help I got mine installed this morning (and my PC-8 last weekend also with his help). I'm on a 2011 ABS so I also did the "drill the sub frame" to connect the ballasts up inside the front end. Install turned out pretty clean, I'm quite happy with it.

I think we might do a night ride tonight just to test them out. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts