StromTrooper banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
23w per bulb, or 48ish for the pair. About half the halogen draw and with far, far better light all around.
Well, you got me to order them :grin2:

If they are that much better than the Beamtechs, I'll keep them. Gotta love Amazon Prime. Delivery to your door, with great return policy.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
I use a 35W in the low beam and a 55W in the high (HIDs). Better yet is that they are independently adjustable. On low beam I'm the good citizen. On high beam I can bleach out the darkness.
This is my plan over using LED's. I just don't like the quality of light LED's throw. Have you noticed any issues with heat or electrical system overload when using additional devices, i.e. heated grips/gear, GPS, etc.?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
This is my plan over using LED's. I just don't like the quality of light LED's throw. Have you noticed any issues with heat or electrical system overload when using additional devices, i.e. heated grips/gear, GPS, etc.?
No overload at all. The HIDs are way less of a draw than the halogen lamps. I simultaneous use heated vest, pants, grips, radar, aux driving lights, GPS and music.
I have turned everything off and everything on and find no drop below 13.9 even at idle.

Like you, the down road reach of the lights matters the most to me. When I ride next to my buddies with LEDs our lights are about the same. When I flip on my HID 55w high beam it lights up an additional 6 or 7 roadside reflectors down the road.

With the HID system you do have to mount 2 ballast units. They are each about the size of a deck of cards but we have so much under-plastic space it is really simple to do. My lights are starting their 4th season on the same bulbs. LEDs are perfectly adequate and getting better every year.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I wasn't happy with the Beamtech lights. Life wasn't much, beam pattern was sloppy, and throw left a lot to be desired when compared to any car. Hikari 9600, however... damn. Great focus, lovely long distance punch on high-beam, cooling fans, and you can twist them to perfect beam pattern. $10 more than the Beamtech.

https://www.amazon.com/HIKARI-Headlight-Conversion-H8-H9/dp/B07GKKJ9M4/
I have a similar beam pattern. The light throws bright to the left and high. Good if I want to see what's in the trees over there....
Don't get me wrong, the(cheap) leds I bought are still better than halogen but I REALLY don't like the pattern. Seeing other leds which you can twist the bulb for a different pattern looks like the answer.
Got to mention that the brights with my cheap leds are excellent. The brights fill up the empty space the dims leave.
BTW- the leds I bought were $17. Don't buy those! I can use them for spares but will get better!

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Well, you got me to order them :grin2:

If they are that much better than the Beamtechs, I'll keep them. Gotta love Amazon Prime. Delivery to your door, with great return policy.
I installed the Hakira lights. Yep, big upgrade. As easy to install as the others, and as mentioned you can adjust the rotation of the bulb to ensure the low beam is level.

Definitely a better and brighter light.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I installed the Hakira lights. Yep, big upgrade. As easy to install as the others, and as mentioned you can adjust the rotation of the bulb to ensure the low beam is level.

Definitely a better and brighter light.
My Hikari lights should be here today. Unfortunately, we've got rain rain rain down here in louisiana.....?
Excited about them anyway!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Check out Headlight Revolution www.headlightrevolution.com to learn about differences in LED lighting for automotive/motorcycle applications (heavily slanted to automotive since it's a much large market). They have a youtube channel and are very good at communicating via email for any questions you might have. They are currently big on Supernova 4.0 and this video shows how they compare to HID's in actual light output and beam pattern in both reflector lenses and projector lenses. (fyi - reflectors put out significantly more light in this test) The Supernova 4.0 was within 1% of output of a 35W HID with an almost identical beam pattern. All were woefully short of the output from a 55W HID. I've worked with Anthony and he was great.
I agree: Headlight Revolution is a very good resource for information, but they don't sell individual headlight bulbs: pairs only. I emailed them, quick, <24hr response. Very pickup truck-ATV oriented lighting.
According to their website, Supernova themselves do sell led's individually:
Supernova LEDs - Supernova LEDs V3 LEDs H7 - Quality LEDs for your Car

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
I had the opportunity to use my new Hakira lights on some pitch black back country roads in PA and WV. They are amazing. Very happy with them. And I now have all the power I need to run USB chargers, GPS, and full head to toe heated gear.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I had the opportunity to use my new Hakira lights on some pitch black back country roads in PA and WV. They are amazing. Very happy with them. And I now have all the power I need to run USB chargers, GPS, and full head to toe heated gear.
Agreed! I live 20 miles out in the country. Lots of deer and little crawled. First night going home, I saw two deer from way further out than oem lightswould have.
Totally happy with Hakari!

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Anybody try superbrightleds? Always had good success with them in other lights. Seems like the 6k would be too blue on the Hikari?
I have not tried superbrights. I think my low beams are angled a tad low because I put raising links on. I almost never have anyone flashing me when on low.
The Hikari are great!

·
Administrator
5,386 Posts
Those look very impressive with the fan and heatsink INSIDE the headlight, and zero base difference to an OEM halogen making for a very simple installation.
LED headlights normally run much cooler than Halogen bulbs. It will be interesting to know how hot the headlight gets. Please give us your thoughts after you have tried them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Wow, I wish I had seen those before I ordered. Only $5 more for more lumens. Oh well, if these don't work than the higher output version is a no go too. I'll report back.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts