StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THIS is the kit I've purchased based on the webBikeWorld review.

The instructions are basically good enough for understanding the connections, but I need a few additional pointers for the install.
  • Where is a good ground point on the DL650? None jumped out at me as I was looking it over with the seat removed
  • What's the easiest way to route the wires to the battery? I look up under the fairings and I really just see a solid mass of wires and bike innards. Am I in for a long road of disassembly to tuck them neatly away?
Thanks
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,722 Posts
Where is a good ground point on the DL650? None jumped out at me as I was looking it over with the seat removed
Negative pole of the battery is the ONLY good ground point for something like that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,436 Posts
I've ran quite a few wires along the left side of the frame from up front back to the battery. There's a factory wire harness there already that you can follow.

I'd always run the ground wire back to the battery.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, so Negative pole for the Ground.

I've ran quite a few wires along the left side of the frame from up front back to the battery. There's a factory wire harness there already that you can follow.
I found that harness and pathway you talked about. That might be doable.

Might it be easier if I remove the gas tank? Upon closer inspection the cabling seems a little bulky to be feeding through such a tight area.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I started dry fitting everything last night to make sure that I had everything connected correctly before I started fishing the wiring harness back. Success! The bulbs fired right up.

So I started trying to fish one of the wire sets back, and got nowhere fast; I just couldn’t feel or see any passageways. Add to that, there is a relay about 1/2way down the wiring section, and trying to fish it blind through the network of cycle innards, I didn’t feel safe that I could do so without putting the wiring in harms way.

After that realization, I started the tank removal process, and am ready to pull the tank tonight after I suction out the gas with my topsider.

Hopefully this should make routing the wires much much easier and I can secure them away from heat and/or abrasion hazards as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
I'm planning on running a large(r) gauge wire from the negative terminal to the nose of the bike and using a junction block up there to run grounds to. This should allow for easier planning of future expansions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Done. Wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it might be. :cool:

I was unsuccessful in removing the tank, but managed to loosen everything enough to where I would wiggle the leads underneath the fairing. I also removed the side black pieces.

Zip-ties the excess harness wire and tucked in down behind the side panel beside the seat. Zip tied the wires at the front into a semi-bundle. Industrial Velcro'd the converter/inverter boxes [2 for each bulb] to the inside of the fairing after cleaning the surface with brake cleaner.

Final step was to tidy up the leads coming off the bulbs. I thought about using some of the corrugated split plastic tubing, but the wires were odd shaped and uneven and a little bulky, so used a couple 6" section of some 1" foam pipe insulation to bundle them up. I added 3 equidistant zip ties to keep the insulation snug, but not tight; not bunched up or squeezed looking. It may sound a little ghetto-tastic, but it looks clean, and I'm happy with the install.

The bulbs are of a 4300 Kelvin temp, so they are not blue, but a nice clean white, like a standard automotive setup, and boy do they light up the street nicely.


 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top