StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering converting my 05 Wee to an HID low-beam to save some watts.

If anyone has done this, please tell me about the product you used, how the install was and if you like the product/results.

I'm also considering LED taillights and conspicuity lights (ditching my beloved Motolights). Any input is helpful.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I used this HID kit about a month ago. About $90 shipped via DHL from Beijing. http://tinyurl.com/y9chaz9 (same set that Roy used.)

I took the cowls off and spent the better part of a morning installing it (although I did a few other things at the same time). It took a few hours to wire it up, dress the mess, and secure everything. I'm very happy with the results and wouldn't go back to halogen.

It's important to get the digital slim ballasts because of the small size, because they draw less power than the large ballasts and because the lamps start up right away.

It's not strictly plug and play. I modified the provided harness slightly to fit the bike since what they give you is really designed for a car. Essentially, all I had to change was to lengthen the wires to reach the battery. You do NOT have to cut any of the bike's wiring.

·
38,048 Posts
HID headlights are especially good for those who ride with heated gear. The 35W HIDs draw less power than 55W halogens, are brighter and do not dim when the heated gear is on. My headlights used to look like they had modulators on as the Heat-Troller cycled the heated gear a portion of every second. The HID lights are steady when fed anything from about 9-16V. I really like the 4300 degree color temperature type. It provides the most light and is only slightly bluer than stock lights.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
HID headlights are especially good for those who ride with heated gear. The 35W HIDs draw less power than 55W halogens, are brighter and do not dim when the heated gear is on.
According to Phillips, all HID lights labeled as 35 watts are actually 39 watts and full-sized ballasts draw another 8 watts each. I could not find a power spec for digital ballasts, but would expect them to draw about half the power. A ballast is essentially a power transformer and the digital ones are akin to switch-mode power supplies -- much more efficient.

·
38,048 Posts
According to Phillips, all HID lights labeled as 35 watts are actually 39 watts and full-sized ballasts draw another 8 watts each. I could not find a power spec for digital ballasts, but would expect them to draw about half the power. A ballast is essentially a power transformer and the digital ones are akin to switch-mode power supplies -- much more efficient.
35W HIDs with slim ballasts appear to draw an actual 40-44W from what I've read. All I can say is my voltmeter has never provided such steady numbers or allowed so much heat to be provided before.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
35W HIDs with slim ballasts appear to draw an actual 40-44W from what I've read. All I can say is my voltmeter has never provided such steady numbers or allowed so much heat to be provided before.
Those power figures make sense to me, Pat. And my results with voltage readings and heated gear match yours. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am looking to save some power to run a pair of Solstice VisionX lights, heated grips, and a Tourmaster heated vest. I am considering either HID conversion or EB low beam kill switch. After reading thisw thread it seams that the actual 10-12 watt savings per light that you get from the HID conversion don't measure up to the 55w savings that you get from killing one of your low beams. If I put manual switches on everything then I would have the most control over my piwer consumption.

Any thoughtso

·
38,048 Posts
I still have a headlight cut out switch. The HIDs allow much better night riding, especially with the brightness not cycling when a Heat-Troller is used. The HID kit isn't a whole lot more expensive than a dual headlight relay kit and includes a headlight relay.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
If I want/need more power for heated gear, I can still pull a headlight connector, but I'm fine now with heated jacket and heated grips. So far, I haven't tried the heated boot liners.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I am looking to save some power to run a pair of Solstice VisionX lights, heated grips, and a Tourmaster heated vest. I am considering either HID conversion or EB low beam kill switch. After reading thisw thread it seams that the actual 10-12 watt savings per light that you get from the HID conversion don't measure up to the 55w savings that you get from killing one of your low beams. If I put manual switches on everything then I would have the most control over my piwer consumption.

Any thoughtso
I installed the Solstice 10W LED's (2x) and the EB low beam cutout. There are times I have ridden at night not realizing for a while I had only one low beam on, that is how bright the Solstice LED's are. You'll end up with a lot of switches if you want to be able switch everything.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I still have a headlight cut out switch. The HIDs allow much better night riding, especially with the brightness not cycling when a Heat-Troller is used. The HID kit isn't a whole lot more expensive than a dual headlight relay kit and includes a headlight relay.
My understanding was that HID's really do not like to be cycled on and off? I use an HID light for scuba diving, it can not be cycled on and off rapidly. Are these HID's you use different in that regard?

·
38,048 Posts
When I turn off a headlight. I turn it off for a long time, basically all day. The cycling is about the heat troller cycling every second, not the light. The draw does not drop the voltage to the light below 11V and the light is fine down to 9V.

·
Registered
517 Posts
When I turn off a headlight. I turn it off for a long time, basically all day. The cycling is about the heat troller cycling every second, not the light. The draw does not drop the voltage to the light below 11V and the light is fine down to 9V.
Ok, got it. Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just pulled the trigger on the VME HID conversion kit. The price is a little higher than listed at the beginning of the thread. This might have to do with the value of the dollar, or they might have raised the price. $140 including shipping to California. I'm going to pair it with EB low beam cut out switch.

Now All I have to do is figure out how to remove the tupperware. I'm sure there is a link to the correct order somewhere.

I'll keep you all posted on the install.

·
38,048 Posts
http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,1418.0.html shows how the plastic rivets work. There are seven in the chin piece under the headlights. There are also two screws, one in each front vent. Take the chin piece off and the screws in the front of the side cowlings the the chin piece covered are now exposed. Take out all the screws plus two more rivets in the piece across the front of the gas tank and there is only a plastic spear head penetrating a grommet at the inside top to separate. With the side cowlings off, separate the large electrical connector under the rubber cover and take out two screws holding the front frame to the main frame and the whole front end comes off. http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,8644.0.html covers the installation of lots of goodies, including HID headlights.

·
Registered
708 Posts
My understanding was that HID's really do not like to be cycled on and off? I use an HID light for scuba diving, it can not be cycled on and off rapidly. Are these HID's you use different in that regard?
and with these bulbs i believe the element moves to change from hi/lo unlike an incandescent which changes the filament being used so the hid's don't cycle, it just physically moves the bulb position

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
and with these bulbs i believe the element moves to change from hi/lo unlike an incandescent which changes the filament being used so the hid's don't cycle, it just physically moves the bulb position
No, the bulb does not move. There is a shutter over the part of the lamp that hits the high beam portion of the reflector. The shutter moves.

·
Registered
708 Posts
No, the bulb does not move. There is a shutter over the part of the lamp that hits the high beam portion of the reflector. The shutter moves.
ah my mistake, i couldn't remember the thread that discussed it earlier to reference

1 - 20 of 36 Posts