StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While cruising along at about 3000rpm, my '05 1000 hiccups or sputters every now and then. Any thoughts? It only has 16 miles on it!

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Prolly needs the Throttle bodies adjusted ...... Ask about this at your 600 mi service.. It is a common problem . .. .

·
Registered
46 Posts
Also, check with your dealer. Suzuki has now admitted there's an ECM problem that causes uneveness in the 3-4k rpm cruising speed. I was just notified after writing to Suzuki, and am setting up a diagnosis and, hopefully, cure to the problem.

H

·
0 Posts
Just purchased a used K5 with 5000miles on it. Got it for what I considered a bargain. I haven't experienced any of what your talking about. I do notice small hesitations, similar to what a big v-8 sounds like with longer duration cams/ etc. This goes away above 3500rpm. I'm thinking this engine does better from 4k on up. I find no need yet to "cruise" at 3000 to 3500rpm. I like the RPMs this engine will do. It is no slow harley.

cheers
Charles

·
Registered
213 Posts
wgm114 said:
While cruising along at about 3000rpm, my '05 1000 hiccups or sputters every now and then. Any thoughts? It only has 16 miles on it!
Get out and ride the bike. Put more miles on it and see what they can do at the 600 mile service. You might also want to try different grades of gasoline. My 02 runs best on 87 octane but yours might run better on a higher octane.

Dave

·
Registered
130 Posts
same issue

My DL1000 has same issues under 4k rpms. Asked Service Manager about it, and he said "bring it in, and we will service it, than ask if it was a warranty issue". So my $ are on the line if Suzuki declines coverage.

If anyone hears of an official Service bulletin with a commitment to warranty coverage from Suzuki, Please let us 04/05 1000 guys know.

Otherwise, I am going to try the TRE after warranty is up March 06.

Thanx, Doug.

·
Registered
640 Posts
People might get tired of saying this, but you might want to have them check the plug caps. My 650 had a similar issue. The dealer knew exactly where to look. Don't know if the caps are the same for the 1k, but Suzuki got a bad batch of them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
3000 rpm miss

I just drove home yesterday on my new '05 DL1000 and noticed the same hiccup at exactly 3000rpm. It's very consistent, so when I take it in for the 600 mile service, I'll have them fix it and I'll post back with what they find. I'd try the throttle body synch myself, but I don't want to risk voiding the warranty. Otherwise, it's an excellent streetbike with a responsive engine and roomy riding position. Sort of like a touring bike on a severe diet with a sportbike motor thrown in. I can't wait 'till it's broken in!

A

·
0 Posts
Suzuki has a new ecm update to address this problem, it enriches the mixture about 5% and cures the stumbles and lean run conditions on 05 dl1000. I got this info from a dealer in Texas where I was having my oil changed while on a trip, I rode one that had the update-couldn't believe it was the same bike! I have an 05 dl1000 but haven't had the update yet but hope to in the next two weeks, if my dealer is cooperative. The Texas dealer said to contact the regional service rep if your local dealer plays dumb, he said the rep came to his store and updated all the stroms in stock for him. (This was CycleSports in Kerrville, TX, great shop to stop by for help, directions, service, etc.-wish my local dealer was this good!)

·
Registered
25 Posts
3000 rpm miss

Here's what my dealer told me:

I had not heard of any updates for the Dl1000 (sorry to the guys on
stromtrooper!) so I called Suzuki's Tech Line for some information. The
tech-line rep that I spoke with said that there is not an ECM update
available on this model. He did say that there was a limited number of
'04 models the required the throttle bodies and throttle position
sensors to be adjusted to correct a surging problem. He recommended that
we test ride your unit to confirm the problem and then check these two
areas in case they are out of adjustment.

If you are currently in touch with anyone who states that they have an
'05 Dl with an updated ECM on it please ask them for the part number off
of it. It will be printed on the ecm and will contain five digits a
hyphen and then five more digits. I would like to compare it to a stock
ecm and see if the part number is actually different.

I'd really appreciate it if anyone with the upgraded ECM could post the part # on this forum so I could give the dealer the part numbers to compare.

Thanks for your time,
Kevin

M

·
0 Posts
I solved it my finding a teka box tuner and had him riched it a bit
cost 25$ and it runs the way the bike should when brought

B

·
0 Posts
Get out and ride the bike. Put more miles on it and see what they can do at the 600 mile service. You might also want to try different grades of gasoline. My 02 runs best on 87 octane but yours might run better on a higher octane.

My bike barely runs on 87 octane... coughs, sputters,loss of power and intake pops!! It runs decent on 89 put runs really good on 91 or higher. Not that I go here... but a very reputable service rep in my area said to stay away from BP gas. They use HUGE amounts of additives and corn gas, much more than anyone else. He said that most cars won't notice, but high compression moto engines usually will. He said that it seems to be the worst here in the Mid-West. I agree with putting on the miles and seeing how the bike improves, mine has improved as the miles rack up. :D

·
Adventure Boy®
282 Posts
Re: 3000 rpm miss

TAG-Caver said:

available on this model.
After my dealer called Suzuki USA, he informed me that they will swap out with customers reporting the flat spot at 3500 RPMs (like Suzuki Canada has been doing for some time). They call it a CDI Unit exchange, and they don't refer to it as an update so to speak, but rather a replacement of a faulty unit. Whatever, it has to be a new revision at least.

I've read a ton of posts on this issue, and I can appreciate the ideas to improve varying performance problems - but living in California and having a hiccup at 3500 RPMs - I was suspicious almost immediately that this was a problem programmed in to help the manufacturer meet emissions tests. If it wasn't a problem that a Power Commander can solve immediately then it would lead to other conclusions - but if a new FI map can do the trick that is where to look first. That's my position for this week at least - I'll let you know how it does in a few days:

DL1000K5 ECM Exchange:

Unit Out:
06G70
MGT080
F8T96274
4X18

Unit In:
06G70
MGT080
F8T96274

B

·
0 Posts
Dealer reprogrammed my FI Friday with the yosh box, +5 low end and +5 mid range as well as adjustment to low speed idle. My bike no longer sputters and wheezes, coughs, surges or intake backfires!! I can now run in any gear at any RPM and she pulls hard and smooth. The 04's and especially 05's are very lean from the factory. Basically, Suzuki is choking the big twin to death and it needs more fuel. I will go as far to say that if you simply get a properly tuned bike adjusted with a yosh or teka box, the PROBLEM WILL BE SOLVED!! If it doesn't, you probably have a bad computer or throttle bodies.

B

·
0 Posts
Re: 3000 rpm miss

Does anyone know if this "CDI Unit Exchange" will work on a 2002 V-Strom 1000? I have read that the 2003 and later V-Stroms have a 32-bit ECM instead of a 16-bit ECM. Will this difference prevent the "CDI Unit Exchange" fix from working? My 2002 V-Strom has a 3500 RPM problem similar to what is described here.

BTW, the clutch basket was replaced under warranty by the previous owner.

Thanks,
John

Sandiegoland said:
TAG-Caver said:

available on this model.
After my dealer called Suzuki USA, he informed me that they will swap out with customers reporting the flat spot at 3500 RPMs (like Suzuki Canada has been doing for some time). They call it a CDI Unit exchange, and they don't refer to it as an update so to speak, but rather a replacement of a faulty unit. Whatever, it has to be a new revision at least.

I've read a ton of posts on this issue, and I can appreciate the ideas to improve varying performance problems - but living in California and having a hiccup at 3500 RPMs - I was suspicious almost immediately that this was a problem programmed in to help the manufacturer meet emissions tests. If it wasn't a problem that a Power Commander can solve immediately then it would lead to other conclusions - but if a new FI map can do the trick that is where to look first. That's my position for this week at least - I'll let you know how it does in a few days:

DL1000K5 ECM Exchange:

Unit Out:
06G70
MGT080
F8T96274
4X18

Unit In:
06G70
MGT080
F8T96274

·
Registered
25 Posts
Update on the 3K miss.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback! Here's the resolution of my trouble. When I took my bike in for break-in service, I noted the problem and the Suzuki Tech Rep told the the dealer there was no ECM upgrade, but on some models they needed the throttle bodies and throttle position sensors adjusted. It could also be due to a partially fouled plug, so they replaced the plugs and adjusted the suspect items without success. When the mechanic called the Tech Rep again, he got a different one who was aware of "experimental" ECMs that were being given out to DL1000 owners who were complaining about the 3K miss. I got mine this past Friday and it now works perfectly. If you have this problem and your dealer insists there's no ECM upgrade for your '05, it may be that the Tech Rep he spoke to was unaware of this fix. My experience in calling Tech Support for my work related troubles is that you take a chance on getting someone who doesn't know their job or isn't willing to dig a little deeper to get a solution.

See you all later,
Kevin :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Part # for ECM

I asked the dealer about that and they said the part numbers were the same(How do they keep track of them?), but that the upgraded ECM's were a batch of experimental ones on the West coast that they had to remedy the miss on some of the '05 DL1000s. Maybe they just remapped a quantity of existing ECMs. They told me that no units were located on the East coast when they placed the order which is why it took about a week to get mine. I should have checked the P/N on my original unit just to see. Here's what's on the back of my new (good)ECM:

06G60
MGT079
F8T96273

·
Registered
44 Posts
HAVE YOUR BIKE REMAPPED!!!!! PROBLEM SOLVED- HAD MINE FIXED TODAY FOR UNDER $40!!!!! IT ONLY TAKES 20 MIN TO FIX AT A SHOP. NO MORE HICCUP AND CHUGGING AT LOWER RPM's. DONT SPEND UNNECESSARY MONEY ON STUFF YOU DONT NEED. THOSE BIKE ARE VERY LEAN ON INJECTION FROM THE FACTORY TO PASS U.S. STANDARDS!!!!!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Ok, well, here's Stromette's .02 cents...

My 05 DL1k was remapped at 400mi which provided very significant improvements; however the 3500k rpm stumble was still present and bothersome. Best way to describe it is nagging and irritating. Could I live w/it? Yes, if I *had* to for some reason. Do I want to? Hell no. Yesterday we did the 10k service which included TBS, TPS, and valve adjustment (7/8 tight). The 3500k stumble seems even more noticeable I guess b/c the rest smoothed out considerably. Frankly, I'm tired of the stumble. IMHO folks who suggest this hiccup or whatever you want to call it will go away w/more mileage, higher octane gas, TBS, changing plugs, etc., etc are simply delusional. Let me restate the IMHO part. There IS a problem and maybe, just maybe, this CDI Unit Exchange or whatever fandango name Suzuki would like to call it will solve the problem. For those of you w/the new unit plz keep the rest of us posted. FWIW, my bike is a CA model and is still under warranty.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts