StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just trying to see a pic in a post. Got an 06 Wee yesterday after having been walking the last 6 months. Barely got it, too. Credit is a beech.

Love the bike so far. Took of the passenger pegs since I'm new to riding. It came with a few changes from the last owner; Steel braided brake lines, car horns, engine crash cage, mild handlebar rise, gear indicator, probably not the stock tires(although I'm a little worried about the sidewall cracks. Guess tires are on my list, eventually, but I'm broke now after buying gear and doing the down payment).

It's got nearly 21k on the clock and my only gripe with it so far is the exhaust. Hence why I'm here. I found a thread in which a dude put an SV midpipe on his Strom to have a greater slip-on selection. Or, well, technically, *A* slip on selection. Anyway, I needed an account to see the pic (I LOATHE websites that do this, by the way) and since I HAVE a Strom and will want advice and recommendations, anyway, I figured I'd make the account.

But, it still isn't letting me view it full size, so maybe making this introductory post will help. Also, is there a way to change my username, or was signing up via Facebook equivalent to me giving up that opportunity? Also, since I signed up with Facebook, what the heck is my password?????? ((PS, if admins can change my username, I want it to be Drunken Hamster. Or some variation thereof with either no space, a dash, underscore, 3's instead of e's, etc.))

·
Registered
422 Posts
I parked "DrunkenHamster" a couple of years ago. For sale...Paypal or personal money order only, lol

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys! So far I'm having an awesome experience with the bike! Went out for a random ride and, long story short, ended up following a pack of bikes to a meet. Stayed for a minute and looked around, but left because cops were hanging out and a lot of those guys were stunting. Plus more bikes came in and I didn't want to get boxed in and have to navigate a maze on my second day of real riding. But the whole 2-ish hour ride, the group section, and even rolling up to the meet was some of the coolest stuff I've ever done in my life! And this thing was just supposed to be cheap basic transportation for me!!

Unfortunately, though, I'm still having a problem with the site. It won't let me view the pic I want to see in full-screen mode. I'll link to the thread so you guys can see if you have the same problem.

www . stromtrooper . com/dl650-dl650a-2004-2011/67905-70%24-exhaust-system . html

Gonna have to copy+paste and remove the spaces old school style till my post count is 10.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Look for the date code on your tires. Inside a small oval will be four digits. Like say 14 11. That would mean the tire was made in the 14th week of 2011. Keep an eye on the cracks and enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Look for the date code on your tires. Inside a small oval will be four digits. Like say 14 11. That would mean the tire was made in the 14th week of 2011. Keep an eye on the cracks and enjoy your ride.
What would you say is the maximum allowable age for tires? And would the maximum safe treadwear be the same on bikes as it is for cars? (2/32 minimum)

·
Registered
431 Posts
There might be tread wear indicator bars built into your tires. Look at the sidewall just below the tread for little triangles. They point to where the tread wear indicator bars are located in the body of the tread. From the triangle look across the tread and you will see a raised bar in the groove of the tread. That is the wear limit. The bars will be located in various spots across the tread. 5 to 6 years is the life of a tire. Stored outside in the sun or being exposed to chemicals will shorten the life of a tire. It hardens, and becomes more prone to cracking as it flexes. Some info here https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/do-motorcycle-tires-have-shelf-life/

·
Registered
325 Posts
What would you say is the maximum allowable age for tires? And would the maximum safe treadwear be the same on bikes as it is for cars? (2/32 minimum)
Personally, I wouldn't go any longer than 5 years on a set of tires. 6 years might be okay for easy around town riding, but I wouldn't push it that far.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Tire Age Question

As tires age they become more and more 'hard'. Hard tires do not grip as well as fresh tires. If you ride twisty roads, the tires could 'turn lose' and put you on the ground. It also depends on the type of tires. Soft compound tires (sport) will retain grip longer than 'high mileage' tires. To determine what type you have, use Google search and input the name.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, I still don't have access to images for some reason, so I'm considering terminating this account and making a normal one. But, anyway, I got something important done today, and took my first venture onto the highway. Honestly, not as bad as I thought or was told. And there were fairly heavy winds, too. The semi-truck blow by didn't even really hit me like I was told it would, but I DID feel a little extra going by a couple of those.

Anyway, bike performed well until I had to come home in the rain. I was EXTREMELY careful, but ended up locking the rear tire twice with the break. Other than that, every bit of concentration went into smooth throttle control and shifting. When I got home, I checked the sidewall of the front tire and found 4 numbers in an oval; "3410". Does this mean I have 9-year-old tires!? Sheesh... Guess I'll have to put off the Delkevic 14", then, huh? Couldn't find any triangles or wear indicators, though, but I was mainly looking for the age and only took a quick look otherwise.

There's plenty of tread left, but the dry-rot/cracks in the sidewall combined with the assumed age is now bothering me....

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Hellofaleadin

Hi, I guess :laugh2:

Yeah David, you have 9 year old tires, so time for some new rubber.
Have fun! lots of tire threads here.

Don't worry about seeing the pics, the moderators will help you with that. Just hang around and learn, and enjoy

·
Super Moderator
4,510 Posts
.....But, it still isn't letting me view it full size, so maybe making this introductory post will help. Also, is there a way to change my username, or was signing up via Facebook equivalent to me giving up that opportunity? Also, since I signed up with Facebook, what the heck is my password?????? ((PS, if admins can change my username, I want it to be Drunken Hamster. Or some variation thereof with either no space, a dash, underscore, 3's instead of e's, etc.))
Hi David,

All things come to those who wait. I have no problem with giving you Stromthusiast +10 and therefore the ability to click on and enlarge thumbnails.

How about Drunken_Hamster? I will send details to your @gmail.com address otherwise you will not know how to log on.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi David,

All things come to those who wait. I have no problem with giving you Stromthusiast +10 and therefore the ability to click on and enlarge thumbnails.

How about Drunken_Hamster? I will send details to your @gmail.com address otherwise you will not know how to log on.
Sounds excellent. There's a sandwich/food reference in that email address, right? If not, it might be the wrong one. I kinda doubt it, though, since Facebook has the right one.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Ok Brockie. Stop teasing the Guy. Ha Ha. Perhaps take the E out and make it Drunkn_Hamster. Then it will fit on the line.

·
Super Moderator
4,510 Posts
Ok Brockie. Stop teasing the Guy. Ha Ha. Perhaps take the E out and make it Drunkn_Hamster. Then it will fit on the line.
I did not foresee that. :grin2::grin2::grin2:
David - if you wish I will remove the _ , or the e - or the ter. Whatever you wish. Let me know.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts