StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Canberra (the capital....not that you'd know....). So I've had my 2014 1000 for around ten weeks now, enough time to get to know it and get to know the model via Strom forums (like Stromtrooper). It's been quite a 'ride' on the whole. I haven't had any big surprises, but some minor bugbears (ie things the seller didn't reveal to me) - headlight bulb had blown, forcing me to acquaint myself with instrument cluster pull a little before I would like, plus a little later finding the USB power outlet didn't work. Jury's still out on that one (why it doesn't), but has meant can't run gps which is annoying. Speedo - ridiculously optimistic.... I love the seat, love the pivot pegs, the givi panniers, the lowered pegs, the nice tall aftermarket screen, the handling, the brakes, the pull of the big motor and the sound of the Arrow exhaust. I've done the valve clearances, which was another learning curve, how to remove tank, cams etc, but came out ok.

Suspension.....sucks pretty much, so have sent off forks to Race Tech, as I ride dirt....often. Quite like the ABS offroad….hard to get to a complete stop sometimes, but you never lock the brakes up which is terrific. And traction control is terrific.

But have read about some funny bits - 'idle hammer' and clutch noise. Mine's not that loud at idle, but not great to hear about those. Some have ABS units fail, which cost $1400 to replace (!!), and really don't want any sensors to fail and have to work what the hell's going on. Air filter....new to paper....and taking half hour to access....

All in all, don't regret moving from the dr z to the big dl, for the extra range I get, but she's a very different creature in all ways. For some, they're reliable for decades....but not for all, which is a slight worry. How have others fared over time??

·
Administrator
5,027 Posts
Welcome Gerard. Your V2 is generally very reliable and you will be impressed with the kms that you can now comfortably achieve - the DRZ is not renowned as a touring machine. There are no outstanding issues with the bike. You WILL find the big DL more of a handful on loose surfaces but your dirt bike experience, plus suspension upgrades and suitable tyres should see it shine.
I imagine that the change must mean that you intend to travel further from home. Happy adventures.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, Gerard. WRT the USB complaint, I trust that you have already had a look at the fuse? From what I have read on this forum, the fuse will not allow for current draw above a cell phone or GPS charging, to blow it (https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000a-2014-2016/414287-12v-socket-not-functioning.html). Also that the vibration while riding has most USB plugs / adapters failing to connect (https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000a-2014-2016/418211-keeping-items-12v-socket.html). Hope that the links that I've included can be of help.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Welcome aboard. Yeh slightly heavy for offroad but most don't do serious offroad all the time with these anyway. Great for long hauls, and fine for the dirt and rough bits as long as you remember the weight. Still loving mine. Enjoy :)

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
To change the globe you removed the dash, the power lead to your power socket is quite short and most would unplug the lead to get room to move did you plug the lead back in ???

When I got my V2 the paperwork indicated it a shop had replaced the low beam globe, a few weeks later the low beam was gone again, but it turned out to be poor contact at the globe, this caused heat and softened the female fitting loosing any spring it had to maintain contact.

If you loose low beam again have a good look at the light socket and replace the fittings it if necessary.

Welcome this is a great place to hangout and warmer than the capital....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for responses. Headlight globe still a goer so that's good (but getting that retaining spring in place is tricky first time!). Re the power outlet, I finally worked out that the issue was not power getting to the outlet unit; I took out the USB insert and put in the cigarette lighter socket powered air compressor which powered up straight away. So it was just the USB insert. Have sorted that by purchasing an Android charger cord with a cigarette lighter socket, not a USB socket.

I also worked out that the previous owner has installed what I think is an aftermarket fuse block under the seat, which is handy, as there's a couple of spare terminals still.

Forks are off with the suspension people getting Gold Valves so shall report on those once road tested.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts