StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
just wanted to say 'hi' and to introduce myself as a new 'wee' owner. I was looking for something lighter and nimbler that the BMW R100RS which I've been riding about on for 20 odd years. I test rode a DL1000, BMW F650GS (v nice but lots of dollars), another BMW which I can't remember the model of but didn't like anyway, a Honda VFR800 (not for me), a Kawasaki Versys (nice motor but didn't suit my frame) and finally a DL650. I was sold on the 650 straight away.

I've enjoyed reading all the forum messages, am REALLY enjoying the bike and looking forward to hearing from any other wee owners in New Zealand (and anywhere else of course).
Happy riding, Clive :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Welcome Clive,

The Wee is a great bike, now your fun begins. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Welcome!

I started riding when I was 14 but stopped when my daughter was born (I was 33 then) and sold my last 2 bikes. Up to that point the KZ400 was my favorite bike... it was light, nimble, and got great gas mileage. I sold the KZ to my brother and he still has it.

Once my daughter was half way though HS I decided it was time to ride again. I think being a single parent raising a teenage girl had something to do with that decision - I NEEDED A BREAK! After setting up a custodial fund, getting loaded up in insurance, and a MSF class I got my Wee! My brother actually recommended it to me and he was spot on... best bike I have owned.

About a year after that I saw a 95 VFR750 with 8000 miles on CL. I remember lusting after this bike when my daughter was young and pulled the trigger. The VFR is a great bike once you know the trick on how to ride with the clip ons. But IMHO the Wee is still a better all around bike. The Viffer is fun and the motor is AMAZING but it doesn't feel as nimble as the Wee and for some reason I never seemed as relaxed on it as on the Wee.... plus it is only a matter of time before I meet Mr. Officer to discuss my interpretation of Speed Limits with the Viffer.

You made a great choice.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Welcome to the Strom World! It is a pretty good all-around bike, and you can configure it the way you want -- some people go off-road, others use it as a commuter, others set it up as a tourer. And luckily there are tons of accessories available for the bike (I just posted that I installed some sideboxes today, which will help me in commuting and longer rides and maybe even some overnighter rides.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Welcome! I switched from a Buell Ulysses to a Wee about a year ago and love it! Such a great bike. Can't say I miss the extra 550cc's at all and its so much more capable. Plus the Strom community is a much better crowd to be a part of.

·
Registered
522 Posts
HI Clive;

Welcome to the asylum. I notice that many people here have named their Wee (pun intended). Be careful what you name it (if you do). I initially named mine after an old girlfriend from College who was (let's just say) libidinous. My wife thought that was a distinctly bad idea and I suggested for obvious (I like riding ........ ) reasons that I rename the WeeStrom after her. She thought that was a really, really bad idea. Sadly she no longer has a name.

Regardless, you picked a fun can do almost anything bike. Certainly my favorite of the all the bikes I have had in the past and of the 2 I own now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts