StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody! I looked for the intro forum, however I could not find it. I have been strongly considering a V-strom for a year or two now. This made me feel comfortable posting here to introduce myself as well as pick a few brains.

Currently I am on a SV650 naked. I love her get up and go attitude but my body can't really keep up with the places she wants to take me. I am super familiar with the 650 drive train and maintenance and would love to stay in the same family.

I have considered the 1000 for a brief period of time. I don't like what they want to do to you with insurance. I also ride two up a lot and feel that the extra weight of the 1000 would make journeys a little more exhausting. If you feel otherwise please state your case. I am willing to listen.

First and foremost I am here to learn. I will give the FAQ a real hard go, but I am not afraid to ask questions so you will probably hear back from me.

Nice meeting everyone and greetings from Philadelphia and SVrider.com

-Fil-

·
Registered
488 Posts
Welcome..I just added a Wee to my collection a few weeks ago.. I knew your name looked familiar too

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome. They look like a hell of a bike. I am worried mainly about leg positioning, suspension, and two up comfort. It's mostly me on the bike from september to April, but in the summer the gf goes everywhere on my bike.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I have considered the 1000 for a brief period of time. I don't like what they want to do to you with insurance. I also ride two up a lot and feel that the extra weight of the 1000 would make journeys a little more exhausting. If you feel otherwise please state your case. I am willing to listen.

-Fil-
According to Suzuki, it's a 40lb difference. That's not much when you're under way, IMO. If you're riding 2-up a lot, I'd give the Vee further consideration.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feed back. How are the rear and front different from the sv in terms of suspension. will I have to upgrade any? or will stock handle me just fine?

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Stock suspension is ok. The 19" front helps quite a bit on rough surfaces. many upgrade with fork brace, springs and other fork enhancements, and aftermarket shock - just like the SV....

I rode an SV back-to-back with a guy on some back roads in ME last year. It was a lot harder riding. BTW, he has since purchased a DL650.

·
Registered
488 Posts
It's much better than stock SV.. I'm about 220 and it works good enough for me at the moment.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
40LBS isn't much of a issue,both bikes are over 300 LBS lighter than my old cruiser, the seat height might be. A Vee is taller, and for a tall person like myself, just about perfect. The Vee's insurance isn't much more than what I was paying, about $50-a year, and I'll save more than that on gas milage! Both are great bikes, you really can't go wrong with either one. Cheers-BB

·
Registered
9 Posts
SV vs DL

I realize this is a month out and the purchase/trade may have already occurred but here's my $0.02. I found my SV to be a great bit of fun for the short hops and 20mi. commute- snappy response and good smooth road handling capabilities. Now with 50k mi. on my Wee I wouldn't go back. Better ergos (me 6'-0" and 175lbs.), handles the rough stuff better, tons of after market accessories, much better range (on a tank full), and looks that really do grow on you....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Go Big- Go Vee

Here's my 4 cents (adjusted for inflation) worth. I have rode all 3 bikes we are discussing here. My brothers SV 650 (we did a 350+ overnight on the PCH), my friends Wee, and the Vee (which I bought) I really like the SV but since we are trying to help you with your decision, VEE vs Wee, I will only comment on those. The Wee is a fine bike. In my opinion it is much smoother than the Vee and as others have stated it is 40 lbs lighter. However if you are going to do a lot of two up riding you may want the benefit of the extra ponies the Vee provides. To me (and I'm no Tech-Head as a lot of our members are) the chassis look the same. As far as insurance goes, I just renewed my policy for my Vee. One year full coverage $305.00 through Progressive. Yes that's one YEAR. States may vary of course. I hope you can use this info in making your decision. Which ever you choose ( Vee or Wee) I know you will be happy with it. And by the way, you couldn't find a Welcome Forum because there isn't one. I found that out the hard way as well.:confused: And finnally, Welcome:D

Ace

1 - 12 of 12 Posts