StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, does anyone have an eloquent method for dimming the hi beam 'dash light'?

It does not dim with the panel lights and when you've got the hi beams on, it is BRIGHT!

I was thinking about putting a 'dot' of electrical tape over it, but that would be temporary, at best...

Any ideas?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Gee and I thought it was just me! I picked my adventure up Saturday and have been working nights, driving to and from work in the dark! I was experimenting with tape and other "temporary" things in an attempt to dim it a bit. Haven't figured it out yet but then it is not real high on my priority list.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Put a lower watt bulb in there so you can see it during the daytime and it doesn't bother you at night Never done it myself, but just a thought....

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Alright, does anyone have an eloquent method for dimming the hi beam 'dash light'?

It does not dim with the panel lights and when you've got the hi beams on, it is BRIGHT!

I was thinking about putting a 'dot' of electrical tape over it, but that would be temporary, at best...

Any ideas?

Yep, what I did, it's feral - being blinded by the high beam indicator is a bit extreme :).
You can't change the bulb, it's a LED soldered onto a PCB.

Congrats for being the only other L2 owner to ride at night.

I had some 3M 'black' reflective tape (Scotchlite 680, eBay) and used a punch to cut a dot of that and stick it on top, worked fine, permanent, not noticeable during the day. Be fairly aggressive, my dot is too small.

Pete

·
Registered
18 Posts
I also ride at night and found the High beam indicator to be overly bright. It is really bad when your face shield is fogged! it creates a Bright blue bloom in the bottom third of my helmet.

I was thinking of some type of film like for tinting windows.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I also ride at night and found the High beam indicator to be overly bright. It really is bad when your face shield is fogged! it creates a Bright blue booom in the bottom third of my helmet.

I was thinking of some type of film like for tinting windows.
Seriously, my dot of 3M tape over that lamp works very well, unless you look closely you can't see it. I ended up with a blue ring of light and no blooming at least.

The dot needs to be a bit larger than the 7mm diameter I guessed as even with a 1mm ring it's still bright enough to create glare on the inside of the windshield but at least it's not blinding now.

Get together with some other local riders , buy some of the black 3M film and a 7.5mm punch and whack out 100 or so ;).

Pete

·
Registered
305 Posts
I ride at night every day. At first I thought it was bright, but now I seem to be used to it. Maybe my retina has been damaged by it :)

I have thought about putting something on it to dim it down though. I actually thought about just drawing on it with a black marker pen. WD40 would clean it off if it looked horrible.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Nail polish.

·
Registered
281 Posts
A tiny round piece of black electrical would work. The h/b light does not bother me at all. Just a suggestion of what I have seen used before and it's not permanent.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts