StromTrooper banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
SUCCESS!!!!! Again many thanks for @larolco, @Grimmer, @Solo for all your suggestions. You were all correct, I removed the Throttle Body (well I did not take it apart, just disconnected 2 wires to be able to move it out of the way). Then I had better access to the thermostat, hoses and unions. I took everything apart and cleaned it really well. Then assembled everything again, I put the O-rings in the hole instead of the union piece and then pushed in the union and tightened the screw while holding it in place).

The final result: NO LEAK :) :) :)

Filled everything with new coolant and went for a short ride to test everything. As I was expecting, radiator fan never kicked in. When I saw 4 temp bars on the display I pulled over and shorted the fan to make it start. I returned home and now I'm just waiting for the new fan temp sensor to arrive, Hopefully that will fix that issue.

One more question: Do I need to drain the coolant again before removing the sensor? Is it possible to try to remove it and put the new one as fast as possible? I was thinking to do that instead of draining the coolant.

Again, many thanks to all you guys for taking the time to leave your comments and answers, they were really helpful!

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
The coolant will run out as fast as water down to the level of the sensor. Technically you could try it, the only problem would be the mess and any thread locker you may have wanted to use won't stick too well with the threads wetted by coolant.

If you don't mind the mess or care about any thread locker, the only risk will be the possibility of cross threading since you are frantic to get it threaded.

You could do a controlled drain through the drain plug until the level is below the sensor (assuming it is near the top) without draining the whole system. Perhaps even recover and reuse the coolant (if you can keep it clean).

·
Premium Member
2,833 Posts
Glad you got that part sorted out and happy I could help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Problem solved. I followed @Grimmer advice and did a controlled drain, it was easy enough. I removed the radiator cap and I was able to calculate the level by watching the coolant as it went down the radiator. Replaced fan switch sensor and O-ring, refilled everything and went for a ride... radiator fan kicked in as usual and temp bars remained at three even after some heavy Mexico City traffic jams. Many many thanks to @larolco, @nvr2old, @Grimmer and @Solo for all your messages, they really helped me! Now I notice some drops of either brake fluid or forks oil going through one of the front calipers... but that will be addressed in a new post when I have the time to start checking on that. Stay tuned :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hey, I am a little late to this party but its exactly the fix I am putting in today.
I got my o-rings yesterday :)

I was wondering if you guys suggest useing any lube to install the orings? Something to get them to slip into place properly?

I understand they fit into the hole in the cyl and the hose fitting is then installed.

Thanx

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Dale. I didn't use any lube when installed the o-rings. It's been more than a year since that fix and bike is running perfectly with no leaks. Good luck with your fix.

·
Registered
Vstrom dl1000
1 Posts
2009 DL1000. The front cylinder connector hose split. part number 6 in the cooling diagrams, it's the small maybe 2 inch long hose that goes from the thermostat assembly to the front cylinder. Was able to reach in from the left side and remove the split hose but am not able to install the new hose, there just isn't enough room to work with because of my big hands.

Short of removing the rear throttle assembly, anyone have any ideas? I thought of putting an ad in the local paper to find a mechanically inclined 6 year old with small hands, but thought I'd ask here first.

My last resort is to trailer it to the stealership and have them do it.
I measured these hoses and they appear to be just regular 3/4” id radiator hose- gates or equiv. I’m replacing mine soon because I’m doing a coolant change out and my fan switch was bad so I’m gonna replace some of these hoses while I’m in there they look like they’re tough to get out but I’m gonna do it anyway if anyone needs extra hose let me know I have 6 feet of the stuff I can send you enough to make to connect your hoses for bucks ea plus shipping. No need to spend 25 or 30 bucks each from the Steeler ship same thing with temps which you can just get one that meets the spec for about 10 or 15 bucks on Amazon.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts