StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 DL1000. The front cylinder connector hose split. part number 6 in the cooling diagrams, it's the small maybe 2 inch long hose that goes from the thermostat assembly to the front cylinder. Was able to reach in from the left side and remove the split hose but am not able to install the new hose, there just isn't enough room to work with because of my big hands.

Short of removing the rear throttle assembly, anyone have any ideas? I thought of putting an ad in the local paper to find a mechanically inclined 6 year old with small hands, but thought I'd ask here first.

My last resort is to trailer it to the stealership and have them do it.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
You go in from the top.

Remove the tupperware, tank and airbox, then loosen the clamps holding the throttle bodies to the rubber intake boots. Pop both the throttle bodies loose as an assembly. I believe you'll also need to disconnect the electrical plugs feeding the injectors and the throttle position sensors (it'll be fairly obvious).

Lay the throttle bodies off to one side (no need to undo the throttle cables or disassemble anything further) then you'll have easy access to the hoses from the top.

It's a lot easier than it sounds, to be honest.

Personally, I'd also replace all the hoses while you're in there (if one fails, the others aren't far behind) and DEFINITELY replace the o-rings on the metal fittings where the hoses attach to the cylinders -- these are also well-known to deteriorate.

·
Registered
11 Posts
2007 DL1000, a few days ago bike started to drop coolant. Then it started to drop more and bike started to overheat. Based on another post I started checking the fan and the radiator fan switch. The fan does work when I short it but it didn't come on when bike showed 4 bars (it never showed 4 bars before this problem). I took it away and put it in boiling water and multimeter showed that it didn't open the circuit, so I think that switch just died and maybe that caused the fan not to start and thus the bike overheated and dropped all the coolant. Maybe then something happened to the hose or the union.

I was wondering if Axeman was able to change that hose?. Mine is leaking coolant. Hose looks fine, I replaced the clamp that secures it to the union with a bigger one and tightened it strong but after filling the radiator the leak started again.

Do you guys recommend to change both the hose and the union where it plugs in? How difficult is that?

I was able to move the throttle body a little bit away as bwringer suggested, but all I was able to try was to change that clamp hoping that would hold the leak but it didn't.

I also tried to remove the screws that hold the rubber intake boot hoping to have more room to work but I was just unable to remove them, in fact I was closer to strip them than to remove them I think.

What would you suggest?

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
Your leak is probably the union O-ring rather than the hose itself.

It's not a mechanically challenging job, just time consuming getting at it.

Follow bwringer's advice above. Remove the TB's and hang them from their cables over the side of the bike and you'll have lots of room to work (You'll need to loosen the TB boot clamps but no need to remove them. If the screws are stuck, spray the threads with penetrating lubricant. I can't remember if they are just screws or if you can use a socket on them). Change out the hoses, O-rings, and perhaps the unions themselves, though mine weren't bad. They're not expensive.

You might want to test the thermostat as well as that could be part of your overheating problem. I'm not sure if there's a sacrificial gasket in there or not but, if so, you'll want one of those on hand.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Many thanks @larolco for the input. Tomorrow I'll try it again based on your suggestions. I will try to remove the hose and the union. Is there a way to inspect the o-ring? It's not that I don't want to change it, in fact I've already ordered the parts from partzilla (it was around $50 for the hose, clamps, union, o-ring and screw), but they will take a while to get here. So I was wondering if there's a momentary hack or anything to keep riding until parts arrive.

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
You have to remove the unions to see the O-rings. Guaranteed they will fall apart if they haven't already. They will be mush and likely the source of your leak.

I think you're parked in the meantime.

It's also a good time to check your valve clearances if that hasn't been done.

You'll also need to synchronize the throttle bodies after reassembly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
@larolco was exactly right. I took apart the hose and the union (thanks to @bwringer for the detailed info), when I removed the union, I was able to see the O-ring, or what was left of it. In fact, there was almost no O-ring at all, just pieces. I tried to take them out carefully but I think some pieces made it in, I was thinking to flush the system with distilled water to try to get as much out as possible. So now I’m looking for the O-ring at the local stores and hopefully I find it. I read somewhere that it was important to use an original one since they are specially built to last the high temps. I guess that’s kind of correct since mine was probably there since forever.

Now with the final thoughts: my theory is that maybe the fan switch broke down (I took it out and tested it in boiling water and a multimeter but the circuit did not close), that caused the fan not to start and the bike to overheat and finally destroyed what was left of the O-ring causing the leak. Does that sounds possible?

Finally, could anybody point me in the right direction for that “valve clearances” thing? Is that the thermostat clearance? And also the “synchronize the throttle bodies after reassembly”??? I didn’t disconnect anything on the TB.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
On my 650 I removed the throttle bodys 4 times in 122K and the synchronizing never changed.

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just scanned quickly through the guide... it looks a little bit beyond my skills not to say time availability. I did see some videos on youtube of the same procedure, maybe I try it out. Bike will be parked the whole week anyway. Many thanks for your advice!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Following up on this issue. Today finally the O-rings arrived. I replaced both O-rings but the leak is still there, exactly were it was. I'm attaching a picture of the union and the leak. I'm running out of ideas here. I was pretty sure replacing the O-ring was going to stop the leak. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Maybe I just won't be able to avoid the visit to the dealer.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
Did you make sure to clean out all the debris and any corrosion before reassembly? Is the O-Ring seated properly?

Perhaps the union itself has a pinhole? Or perhaps the leak is coming from upstream (thermostat area)?

Did you replace those hoses as well? Are they seated and clamped properly (the hoses have a slight bend to them)? If you didn't replace the hoses, perhaps one of them has failed?

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
+1 on cleaning both pieces (fitting and cylinder head) and taking care to properly and fully seat the o-ring during installation. I would also recommend "lubricating / wetting" the o-ring with some antifreeze before you install it. Beware of pinching off a piece of the o-ring or "rolling it" as it is installed.

If all is well with the O-ring and installation, check for other leaks that just happen to pool in the suspect position (as @larolco mentioned above).

You've done the hardest parts already, don't give up just yet. It is probably something simple (perhaps they sent you the wrong O-ring?).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Many thanks @larolco and @Grimmer, I'll disassemble everything and try again. The first time I put it I did rolled it a little. I inspected the O-ring after taking it out again and it looked fine. I will do it again with more dedication and paying special attention to your suggestions. Thanks for the support!

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
There is probably some corrosion/gunk in the recess that accepts the inlet and O-Ring. Use a dental pick or something similar to scrape it out while being careful not to drop anything into the hole. Use a vacuum while scraping and plug the hole with a soft cloth.

The success of any job is in the prep work.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Following up on this issue. Today finally the O-rings arrived. I replaced both O-rings but the leak is still there, exactly were it was. I'm attaching a picture of the union and the leak. I'm running out of ideas here. I was pretty sure replacing the O-ring was going to stop the leak. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Maybe I just won't be able to avoid the visit to the dealer.
Those type of hose clamps have a pinch area under the screw. They often pinch the hose & create a leak. I don't use them.
Good luck with your fix. :smile2:

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
I just love seeing references to VSRI.
That link was one that Greywolf posted a loooooong time ago and I found with a quick search of this forum. I've never been a member at VSRI but lurked a lot.

You should buy it. :wink2: That would make JohnofChar happy and I would join.

·
Vendor
5,158 Posts
John and I conversed a lot by PM after his diagnoses was made public. He was simply overwhelmed and mostly concerned with the things all of us would be at that time. Prior to that he asked just a few if they wanted it and then took a suggestion from Greywolf to let VS have it for a $1. I was not even aware of what was happening until the deal was made and VS was not about to let it go once they had it. One of the VS guys even tried identity theft to make sure that I was not given the files. He pretended to be me in an email to IB, the second in command on VSRI. Ib was familiar with the fishing technique, saw right through, and reported to me. I reported it to the RMC ( that's how you say FBI in Canada) and VS and was told shortly later "he no longer worked there." That was my introduction to VS.

Shortly after we started VSARI, but lacked the kind of visibility to produce enough new and interesting content to maintain activity. But I learned a lot in the process. How much does it take to operate a site like this? About $30 a year in web hosting and IP address fees. How much IT tech does it take? I learned enough i my spare time in a week to set up the site and then coasted from there. The software is free shareware.

Would I do it again? In a heart beat if I thought their was the right kind of community support. One reason is ethics. We would have them. People without them would not be welcome. Might allow a few liberals, but that is it. People who also owned Harley's would have to go through probationary period, and no talk of Corbin seats.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts