StromTrooper banner

1261 - 1280 of 1316 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey Rick, it's Eddie we met at Vaughan Mills a week ago. I'm visiting family in Sault Ste Marie. Plan to do the Wawa, Chapleau and Thessalon loop before heading back home. I live in Claremont (Pickering) about 20 mins from V-Tom.
Did you ride route 556 while you were up here? It's 70 km of dirt road that goes Heyden to 129. I was on it today and found it tricky with the Battlax tires. Wish I had something more aggressive.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Hi Edie! I just realized that when I was looking on your posting that it must be you (still you have Suzuki top case on your bike😀). Why you didn't mentioned you're going there? Today I was sitting at Tim Hortons when I saw you. That's really something! What a coincidence! Small world eh? I did 129 from Iron Bridge to Chapleau and Wawa 2 days ago and from Wawa back to Iron Bridge yesterday. If you want to do some off road I have nice 30 km road for you...

·
Administrator
13,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,263
Hey Rick, it's Eddie we met at Vaughan Mills a week ago. I'm visiting family in Sault Ste Marie. Plan to do the Wawa, Chapleau and Thessalon loop before heading back home. I live in Claremont (Pickering) about 20 mins from V-Tom.
...and when you were in Vaughn Mills Mall you were just a few minutes from my work.

..Tom

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Did you ride route 556 while you were up here? It's 70 km of dirt road that goes Heyden to 129. I was on it today and found it tricky with the Battlax tires. Wish I had something more aggressive.
Ranger Lake Road! That gravel stretch after Searchmont is great. I did it on Metzler Tourance's and lowered the tire pressure to around 22F/28R and it was awesome. No way I would want to turtle long that in 80/20 tires fully aired up. Pumped the tires back up in Aubrey Falls for the ride along the 129.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Ranger Lake Road! That gravel stretch after Searchmont is great. I did it on Metzler Tourance's and lowered the tire pressure to around 22F/28R and it was awesome. No way I would want to turtle long that in 80/20 tires fully aired up. Pumped the tires back up in Aubrey Falls for the ride along the 129.
I was talking to Eddie last night and the answer is yes. He did it. He wasn't very happy on this road on his still stock Bridgestone Battlax A41. If you are still in the area ride Gargantula Rd between Hwy17 and the shore of Lake Superior in Provincial Park. It's only 15 km one way and 15 back but it took me 1 hour even I was on Heidenau K60 Scout. It was fun! Are you on the way to BC now?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I found the best line was right down the middle of the road. Straights were not an issue but I had to slow down considerably when going into a turn and stick to the right. Past a few pickup trucks heading in the opposite direction that were flying around corners. Definitely would like to do that again on different tires.

Hey I did see a Black Bear cub. He was on the road but ran into the woods when he heard me coming. I was a little concerned about mama bear but didn't see her.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
I found the best line was right down the middle of the road. Straights were not an issue but I had to slow down considerably when going into a turn and stick to the right. Past a few pickup trucks heading in the opposite direction that were flying around corners. Definitely would like to do that again on different tires.

Hey I did see a Black Bear cub. He was on the road but ran into the woods when he heard me coming. I was a little concerned about mama bear but didn't see her.
I'd recommend the Dunlop trailmax Mission tires, they are AWESOME. The lugs come out over the side a fair bit like Dunlop does iwth the pickup trucks, so they really dig into the gravel. No issues at all on that road, and I was 2up. Spent 12 days with my wife exploring Northern Ontario and had a fantastic time!

Reactions: V-Tom

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'd recommend the Dunlop trailmax Mission tires, they are AWESOME. The lugs come out over the side a fair bit like Dunlop does iwth the pickup trucks, so they really dig into the gravel. No issues at all on that road, and I was 2up. Spent 12 days with my wife exploring Northern Ontario and had a fantastic time!
Thanks for the info. I've been searching for tires and came across a couple of positive reviews on the Trailmax Mission tires. Only issue is can't seem to find a front tire in stock.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Thanks for the info. I've been searching for tires and came across a couple of positive reviews on the Trailmax Mission tires. Only issue is can't seem to find a front tire in stock.
I was trying to buy them from Fortnine back in March and they had them out of stock. However during my search I found a small family run motorcycle shop just outside the GTA area that had better pricing, free shipping, etc. He said he's some kind of preferred Dunlop dealer and has access to stock before the big online stores do. Send him a call/email if anyone can get stock it's him! He was cheaper then Fortnine plus he set me up with some kind of promo for a $40 visa prepaid card, not sure if that's still on or not.

http://www.acemototech.com/
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Adrian is a good guy - been dealing with him since he was working out of his townhouse garage. Getting an appointment these days a challenge ....popular shop, wife working the counter and quotes and another mechanic aboard. (y)

·
Administrator
13,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,273
Just saw a strom in Fenelon Falls. You were north bound, I had just pulled into the tummies and we waved at each other. I have the Orange DL1050

..Tom

·
Registered
2 Posts
That was me on the blue DL 1000, I saw you too. I come from Hamilton and we were riding the Highlands for a few days. This is my first post on Stromtrooper.

·
Administrator
13,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,275
That was me on the blue DL 1000, I saw you too. I come from Hamilton and we were riding the Highlands for a few days. This is my first post on Stromtrooper.
Welcome aboard! Lots of fun riding up there!

Were you responding to my post or another?

..Tom

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been following the Stromtrooper forum for a while and saw your post when I got home. Thought I should at least respond. Lots of great roads up there; we have to travel in Ontario this summer.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
3 V Stroms today. First burgundy Wee2 in Bobcaygeon around 12.30. I was on black and yellow Wee3. Intersection 36 & ?. Next white Wee3 in Orillia at McDonald parking lot around 5.30 pm. And finally grey Wee2 with couple on it on Forks of Credit Rd around 7 pm. I think the same bike with full aluminum luggage about 20 minutes later in Belfountain.

1261 - 1280 of 1316 Posts