StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Igh,

This morning, I decided on driving the car to work instead of the bike because I need to haul some snowboards around today. As anal as I am, before I got into the car, I took a peak at the engine oil on the bike before I left and noticed that the oil was below the empty line. Last time I checked, it was right at the F line but I have to admit, I don't check it everyday so my question is this: As dumb as it sounds, can the ambient temperature (41degrees) play a role in whether or not the oil level in the little window is accurate? Is it really possible that I burned through 2 liters of oil in just 30 days? - frick.

I know that the window it is super inaccurate if not on even ground and my bike IS parked about 6 feet away from where I usually park it (all on even ground) but when I took it off the center stand and held it up right and wobbled it around, there looked to be no oil in there.

Any help would be appreciated!!
THANKS!

P.s. 07,650, 52,000km

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Temperature has almost no effect on oil level. It doesn't take a two liter drop to clear the window but check for leaks. Burning that much suddenly seems out of the question.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, thanks for the reply GW. I park in the same location everyday for work and at home. Have never seen any oil leaking. I do drive 75 miles a day for work so perhaps on the freeway, it leaks then. If an engine were to leak, would it be more apt to leak when its running than with it's sitting in the parking lot/home?

·
38,103 Posts
Leaks are more likely when running as the system is under pressure. You didn't include your mileage in the original post. If you are doing 120kph(75mph) or so, there can be significant oil loss through the breather.

·
Registered
285 Posts
i had the same thing happen...only not that much oil.
i had to get somewhere 120 miles away quickly. i ran it at 80-85 the whole way and noticed my oil had gone from above the full line to just below the full line.
2008 650 with 17,XXX miles

·
Registered
394 Posts
Leaks are more likely when running as the system is under pressure. You didn't include your mileage in the original post. If you are doing 120kph(75mph) or so, there can be significant oil loss through the breather.

Is this loss of oil at high speed a result of the speed of riding or of the RPM ? For instance, 75MPH in 6th gear is 5500 or 6000 RPM. (or right about there).

Would running at 6000RPM in 4th at an obviously lower speed result in the same amount of oil out of the breather ?

:confused:

·
38,103 Posts
It isn't completely clear if it is rpm alone causing a finer oil mist or if a venturi effect of the air being forced through the airbox over the breather element at speed has an influence. It would behoove anyone running high speed or rpms to regularly check oil levels.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ride on the Trans Canada, and for anyone who rides on that thing during normal working hrs, knows it's slow. Ill be doing an actual 60mph (100km/h) nothing more. When there are times I can go faster, I dont go above 5000-5500RPM - seriously. I do live up on a mountain though... and go up hill for about 10km. It's pretty steep and I am unable to get up it with my 125cc cbr, haha... could THAT be stressing my engine out?

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
[...]
I know that the window it is super inaccurate if not on even ground and my bike IS parked about 6 feet away from where I usually park it (all on even ground) but when I took it off the center stand and held it up right and wobbled it around, there looked to be no oil in there.

Any help would be appreciated!!
THANKS!

P.s. 07,650, 52,000km
You check and fill your oil on the sidestand normally, right?
I think that the centrestand raises the back of the bike enough to indicate "Max" when in fact it's at the "Min" line; someone with a centrestand might confirm this.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Yea, I check everything off it's side stand. The center stand reads out inconsistently all the time - you are right. I am able to find the balance point while crouching at the side of the bike and looking into the viewing window.

·
38,103 Posts
It's pretty steep and I am unable to get up it with my 125cc cbr, haha... could THAT be stressing my engine out?
That should have little effect on oil usage. Get the oil back where it belongs and see what changes occur weekly or even daily. Check the bottom of the engine, the cam chain tension adjusters, the area around the front sprocket, the spark plugs and exhaust outlet for oil. The last two places show an oil burning problem while the earlier mentioned places are likely areas for leaks.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Will do!

The exhaust outlet is black for sure however that can't be indicative of major oil burning because even the slightest will cause the outlet to be black, no? Ill keep an eye out for your mentioned areas.

Also, I am using Royal Purple oil and I cant say I am happy with it, so I am going to be going back to the dyno oil. More oil changing intervals means I wont realize all the burning oil, right? haha

·
38,103 Posts
Exhaust soot is typical. It should be dry though. Blue smoke is another sign of burning oil.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Again... stupid potential question but, if one checks their oil 30 minutes after shut down (assuming the engine is good and warm), should the oil remain the same if they check it 24hrs later? Suzuki recommends running the engine (from cold) for about 3 minutes or so. Does the oil sneak into the oil cooler or somewhere when not in use for a while?

·
Registered
899 Posts
I know on the BMW boxers, there can be a significant difference in oil level in the window with temperature variations. The aluminum cases will expand and contract a lot in cold temps.

The other issue is whether the oil has drained out of the heads and coolers or not. I find this also with the site glass on my ST1300. On either bike, if I put it right on the center stand while hot off the road, I can get an artifically low site glass reading the next morning.

The boxer holds a gallon of oil. But the difference between low and high marks on the site glass is about 8oz. What is the difference on the DL650 between low and high?

·
38,103 Posts
Oil volume expands a little when hot but it isn't very significant. It takes a while for oil in the passages and on upper surfaces to migrate down to the sump after shut off so there will be a small difference between shut off and a few minutes later. Stop sweating the small stuff though. There is a major loss going on that needs to be pinpointed.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Oil volume expands a little when hot but it isn't very significant. It takes a while for oil in the passages and on upper surfaces to migrate down to the sump after shut off so there will be a small difference between shut off and a few minutes later. Stop sweating the small stuff though. There is a major loss going on that needs to be pinpointed.
The rule of thumb with a boxer engine is "see oil in the site glass = ride" Is that not the case with the DL650?

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
On my Vee I run synthetic also and the bike uses as much between 0 and 4000 miles as it does in the last 1000 miles (4000 to 5000 mile interval). I change mine every 5000 miles.

1/2 qt from 0 to 4000
1/2 qt from 4000 to 5000

I attribute this to the oil viscosity breaking down and its the reason I change at 5000 miles. This is an estimate only and varies some by outside temps and where Im riding. But you get the point.

On mine, centerstand and balancing bike on both wheels gives close to same level. Hot and cold are close also. My routine is check before starting then again at my first stop of the day while hot. Do not check again that day.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I think that the centrestand raises the back of the bike enough to indicate "Max" when in fact it's at the "Min" line; someone with a centrestand might confirm this.
It's not that dramatic. I use a Vortex rear stand, and it does overestimate the fill level a smidge, but not enough to matter. If I aim for slightly over the full line but still within the window, it'll be correct.

I did, however, once confuse myself when I filled it with the bike strapped down at the front with the suspension compressed. That was a more dramatic difference, so much so that when I checked it later, I thought I'd lost a lot of oil.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts