StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, decided to sell my tourer, a 1996 RF900R, and gonna grab up a V-Strom 1000 14-15. Like the 14 Tan ones.....
So anything I should look out for??? Found one with SW Motech skid plate and crash bars, levers, hand guards, tank bag and a Corbin seat with back rest. 1300 miles. Whats a good price. At a dealer and they are asking 8400. Any ideas?

Keeping my 99 TL1000R an my 02 GSX-R1000, so want some adventure and this is it. Like the 1000 as same motor as the TLR, so I know it and what its capible of.

So owners... opinions please.... and thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Welcome aboard !!!
As far as what to look for? First off get the fastest color Tan. If buying used look for the standard has it been abused / maintained well thing. Make sure accessory electrical farkles have been done properly. Check to see by VIN # that all recalls have been taken care of. Be careful of what you read. Although websites can be a plethora of knowledge, a lot of it can be very subjective and opinionated. What someone else perceives as a major problem or flaw, others can live with no problem. I have a 2014 Vee2 in fast Tan. I have owned 5 V Stroms now, and this one is by far the best one yet. Buy it, Ride it, enjoy it !!! and welcome to the club.

Attachments

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Crazy, the one I am looking at is, of course, TAN!!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Welcome Mike, from another Oregonian. Red is faster, haha. But seriously that bike for $8400 sounds like a good deal - the SW Motech parts are good quality. I bought my 2014 (Red, haha) a month ago and it's a hoot. I've spent quite a bit on accessories - centerstand, skid plate, Barkbusters and bags.. so you would be ahead of the game. Cheers.

·
Premium Member
4,218 Posts
I am impressed with all the interest in the V2 this year, it seems to have grown in popularity, as it should, it's a great bike.

The Old Vee was kind of a sleeper too I understand, but over time it became a hot item and still going strong today.

Congrats on your new bike Mike.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Enjoy the new bike, it's a Peach. Don't worry about all the noise coming from the engine
At idle, it sounds great underway. Black is best.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
I would shoot for 8K but at $8,400, I still like the deal. And, you have $1,000 worth of accessories, all nice stuff.

You do hear of some incredible deals, here and there; however, what matters is what they are going for in your area. I live in CT and really hunted (for months) for a good price on a V2. The best price (for a 2014 V2) that I could find was $10,600 OTD. So, I bought it. I still like what I got at that price.

So, for $8400 you get a hardly used V2 with expensive accessories to boot. I'd buy it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for this info. I was not able to get the bike with all the goodies, as it was in CA and they were gonna have me pay 6-700$ in sales tax... ouch.

Found a 14 Tan in WA (same long a$$ drive, just north...LOL) with some goodies, Crashbars, hand guards, Kaoko throttle lock, and only 3372 miles, and got out the door for 6500. oh, and a TOuratech tank bag. I am happy. Its clean, a few scuffs, but in good shape.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Thanks for this info. I was not able to get the bike with all the goodies, as it was in CA and they were gonna have me pay 6-700$ in sales tax... ouch.

Found a 14 Tan in WA (same long a$$ drive, just north...LOL) with some goodies, Crashbars, hand guards, Kaoko throttle lock, and only 3372 miles, and got out the door for 6500. oh, and a TOuratech tank bag. I am happy. Its clean, a few scuffs, but in good shape.
That's almost half of list price for a barely uses motorcycle. I like that deal!

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
$6500...wow great deal but I do feel for the seller...took a huge hit.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Moto7, do not feel too bad... It was a Harley Dealership...LOL! I really think they give super low $ on trade in's and then really don't want Non-Harley bikes on the floor, so they cut them out... They did try to sell me "up" to a harley.

Bad part was they also had a 1 million-th Anniversary edition white and blue/red GSX-R1000..... I REALLY wanted that too.....

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Ugggh, imagine what the poor bastage got on trade when he bought his new Hog? Ouch.........

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep... running that through my head, probably not much over 5K, and I am sure they made that deal as long as he gave them MSRP on the Hog.... just makes me cringe... but I got a heck of a bike for 6500 I believe.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good buy with all the extras. Welcome, I'm a new owner also. had mine about 2 months now. Love it.

·
Premium Member
4,218 Posts
Yep... running that through my head, probably not much over 5K, and I am sure they made that deal as long as he gave them MSRP on the Hog.... just makes me cringe... but I got a heck of a bike for 6500 I believe.
The V2 didn't look right parked next to all the Hog's at the bar, assuming it made it that far. When you see one broken down on side of road, smile and wave as you ride past, it may be the former owner.

·
Registered
617 Posts

Mike,
Congrats on the tan find! And with some nice add-ons. Sounds like you done very well. Pics?

Now come on over to Enterprise in June and we'll compare tans.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/2017-wallowa-valley-adventure-jamboree.1189299/

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
DUDE.... not sure on time off of work, but I ust e-mail that to my friends.... looks like a mildly organized impromptu motorcycle ride interrupted by some fun nights around the fire...LOL

·
Registered
617 Posts
This will be my fifth year at Enterprise. Great folks and great riding. Maybe look at next year if this year doesn't work.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
For sure.... Looks like an absolute hoot.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts