StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am going to buy a vstrom very soon and not sure which to buy. I am torn between a 650 and 650 adventure, suzuki adventure pack isn't cheap, also considering a 1000. Any advise?
I have been riding motorcycles off an on for decades. I also dont want anymore heavyweight not maneuvering bikes, i sold my vtx1800 last year and was tired of wrestling a 950lb monster. I currently have a 2014 KLR650 and a 2014 Polaris Sportsman 800efi, i want something more touring oriented and more comfortable for road trips or just cruising thru the mountain twisty's where i live.
Thanks for any help

·
Registered
27 Posts
So, I am going to buy a vstrom very soon and not sure which to buy. I am torn between a 650 and 650 adventure, suzuki adventure pack isn't cheap, also considering a 1000. Any advise?
I have been riding motorcycles off an on for decades. I also dont want anymore heavyweight not maneuvering bikes, i sold my vtx1800 last year and was tired of wrestling a 950lb monster. I currently have a 2014 KLR650 and a 2014 Polaris Sportsman 800efi, i want something more touring oriented and more comfortable for road trips or just cruising thru the mountain twisty's where i live.
Thanks for any help
Go with the 1000 of you want comfort and touring, the 1000 will handle fire roads and light offroad as well. You don't want to be stretched for power loaded down with luggage and two up going through the mt.s or twisties plus it's a power house loads of fun and gobs of torque at your flick of a wrist. Plus not a ton of weight difference between the two for 350cc and 40 more hp.

·
Registered
603 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so i got an offer from a local dealer for a leftover 650 adventure for 8119.00 out the door and 0 percent financing. I know its 2 years old but still new, which will have a depreciation if i ever sell it.I could pay cash but for 0 percent why not instead of using my cash up?
Opinons?

·
Administrator
13,199 Posts
I have put a fair amount of mileage on the 650's and recently got a new DL1000.

While the new 1000 is an incredible machine and improved a lot over the 650 the 2012+ 650 is really a great machine and will do almost anything the 1000 does. Just not quite as well.

If the price works for you then it's hard to go wrong with the 650.

..Tom

·
Registered
603 Posts
Your pricing depends on where you live. My OTD price for a 2014 dl650a(non-adv) was a bit under 7800 in CT which includes 6.35% tax. I thought I had received a fair price.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your pricing depends on where you live. My OTD price for a 2014 dl650a(non-adv) was a bit under 7800 in CT which includes 6.35% tax. I thought I had received a fair price.
I am in Komifornia, the land of fruits and nuts where everything is usually twice as much...

·
Registered
603 Posts
If that includes tax, buy it before I do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I purchased a 2012 650 adventure about 2 months ago and love it. I have put about 800 miles on it in the last month or so. I ride 70- 80 mph with out any issues. I have gotten in the last 3 tanks of gas 50-54 mpg. Great bike and glad I bought it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I purchased a 2012 650 adventure about 2 months ago and love it. I have put about 800 miles on it in the last month or so. I ride 70- 80 mph with out any issues. I have gotten in the last 3 tanks of gas 50-54 mpg. Great bike and glad I bought it.
The deal is done, 0% interest 8119.00 out the door, i'll hook up my trailer tomorrow and go pick it up. I guess i know what i will be doing this weekend:driving::driving::driving:

·
Registered
402 Posts
Congrats! Hey, it's not a Harley - there's no trailering allowed here. Ride that baby home! :bom_guitarist:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, i wouldnt own a Hardly, not my cup of tea. I am only trailering it because the dealer an 1.5 hours away. I will be working in the area the dealer is in,dropping off the trailer, doing my work and then picking it up after.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WooHOo, showed up at the dealer to pick it up and he messed up, its a 2014 leftover not a 2013. Got it for 8106 out the door, 0 percent for 60 months, i put 2 k down, payments are 98 bucks a month. He also ordered me the lower cowling for 200 even delivered to my house. I feel like i've won the lottery, beautiful bike and a great deal.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have owned a looooooottttt of bikes and my '13 650 is probably the best I ever owned. If he offers a deal on a center stand get one asap. I regret not buying one first thing. You are going to love the bike.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Hey, congrats! I will say I really like my little strom and I think u will to. Lots of fun for a small price. WIN!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have owned a looooooottttt of bikes and my '13 650 is probably the best I ever owned. If he offers a deal on a center stand get one asap. I regret not buying one first thing. You are going to love the bike.
You read my mind, i put a happy trails center stand on my klr, thats the first thing going on the wee

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've got the '13 Adventure which I got new a year ago and now it has 8,000 miles on it. Every time I ride it I am impressed with how little maintenance there is, and how reliable and fun it is. I got about the same price which I was thrilled with. Now you'll get the bug for all of the things you read about on this forum, but you got the perfect bike to build on.

Congrats!

PS: check the "For Sale" section on this forum, you'll see some good deals once in a while.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts