StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Does anyone know where I can get a hex driver that's long enough to reach up through the bottom of the fork to the bolt that holds the damping rod to the fork tube?

I've removed these to service my forks using a standard hex key, but without a hex driver long enough, I can't set these back to the correct torque.

All of the drivers I can find are quite short - see Forge Steel Hex Socket Set ½" 6 Pieces | Screwfix.com as an example.

I'm more than happy to buy a 1/4" torque wrench if needed to use one, but I can't find anything long enough :(

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Here in the US Harbor Freight has them.

Not a bolt you have to worry much about an exact torque value though. I usually just give it a light tap with an impact gun, if that's not available good 'n snug by hand is fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here in the US Harbor Freight has them.

Not a bolt you have to worry much about an exact torque value though. I usually just give it a light tap with an impact gun, if that's not available good 'n snug by hand is fine.
I'm in the UK, so not much luck here so far :)

I'll just keep doing them by hand for now :)

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Cut the short arm off a "regular" L-shaped hex key (use a HIGH QUALITY hex key) with a grinding wheel, then use a high-quality 6 point socket over the hex key.

Surely someone over there sells cheap Chinese tools of highly variable quality? As it happens, the long reach hex sockets available here in the states from Harbor Freight are excellent quality. They sell a lot of crap, too, so you have to watch it. There must be an equivalent in your corner of the world.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cut the short arm off a "regular" L-shaped hex key (use a HIGH QUALITY hex key) with a grinding wheel, then use a high-quality 6 point socket over the hex key.
I don't know why I hadn't thought of that ! I'll probably go that route.

As for buying stuff, where I live, we only have 2 physical stores that sell this kind of kit. The rest is catalogue stores or on the net. So it's hard to walk in and look for what you want.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts