StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new-to-me and until-now happy 2005 DL650 has begun to hesitate at 5,000 rpm, in any gear, at any speed.

Idle is fine, around 1200-1400 rpm.

I'm still only bout 125 miles into the 2nd tank of gas, and the first tank was a little disappointing MPG wise (think it was in the very low 40s). Bike has 32,xxx miles.

I assume it sat for a while because when I bought it in June the registration on it was 2009.

What might be causing the hesitation? Where should I start? Remap the ECM? Get a throttle body synch done? Something simpler?

Your advice much appreciated.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Will it do higher rpm with a glitch at 5000 or will it not go over 5000? If not you might have a clogged fuel pump filter. See the fuel flow check and external fuel filter modification at Fuel Injection

·
Registered
22,310 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will it do higher rpm with a glitch at 5000 or will it not go over 5000?
It's the former: will do higher RPM with a glitch at 5000.

its my understanding there is a slight hesitation programed in the stock map @ 5000 rpm to meet EPA sound requirements
The hesitation seems to be new, and happens at steady throttle. Suppose it also happens while moving through 5000 rpm, but it's clearly noticeable with a steady throttle. Regardless, if what you're describing is the problem, would re-mapping solve it?

·
38,104 Posts
650s don't really benefit from remapping. Try a TBS first. Also make sure the TPS adjustment is correct showing a centered dash at idle in dealer mode like -C00. FAQ: Dealer Mode & FI Error Codes

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
650s don't really benefit from remapping. Try a TBS first. Also make sure the TPS adjustment is correct showing a centered dash at idle in dealer mode like -C00. FAQ: Dealer Mode & FI Error Codes
I'll give that a whirl, thanks for the advice, greywolf.

I know what a TBS is, but help me out: what's a TPS adjustment?

And another question (always had lots, according to my Mom), the page at the link you sent refers to attaching a jumper to read the codes. I get that it's necessary to plug jumper wires into the bike's connector, but what's at the other end of the jumper wires? Are they connected to each other? Unconnected? Is there a sandwich or an adult beverage involved?

·
38,104 Posts
The jumper is a single wire that connects the two terminals on the dealer mode connector. A paper clip works fine for a jumper. If the throttle position sensor adjustment is correct, the dash is centered at idle and is at the top at cruising rpm. The TPS is on the lower throttle butterfly an requires a security Torx bit to loosen and set the screw #8. The secondary TPS is above it and normally should be left alone. It can take close to a half a second for the proper reading to appear so wait between setting positions. Tiny movements have a noticeable effect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts