StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I used a 50' x 1" roll of black ceramic exhaust wrap to do my pipes last week. I was able to do them all the way back to the black heat shield. The pipes have to come off to do this job. Sorry but I forgot to take a pic of the pipes before I put 'em back on. One pic is from underneath the bike.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Well, whatever floats your boat.

Cheers!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I guess Cindy Crawford should put a burlap bag over her head to hide the mole.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What's the purpose?

How do you wash dirt/grime out of that?
Believe it or not wrapped pipes are supposed to help a motor run cooler and increase HP slightly. Some bikes actually have to be re-jetted afterwards I'm told. It can also be used on bikes that have an issue with heating up a rider. The wrapped pipes throw off alot less heat making some bikes much more comfortable to ride in hot weather.

As far as washing it goes I'll repeat myself again: I didn't buy a Strom to give it baths and polish it.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Believe it or not wrapped pipes are supposed to help a motor run cooler and increase HP slightly. Some bikes actually have to be re-jetted afterwards I'm told. It can also be used on bikes that have an issue with heating up a rider. The wrapped pipes throw off alot less heat making some bikes much more comfortable to ride in hot weather.

As far as washing it goes I'll repeat myself again: I didn't buy a Strom to give it baths and polish it.
These reasons seem logical for high performance applications, but not on a V-Strom.

Questions:

Was the motor running hotter than it should before you installed the wrap?

Did you increase HP after you installed the wrap?

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts

My dear,
I don't wash my V often either, mostly the headlights.

But I don't think that I'd like to have a 'trap' for 'gunk' (eg. mud, tar, etc.) on my header.

I am not condemning you for wrapping your pipe. It's your bike you do with it as you please. If it makes you happy, then that's cool. If you think it's an improvement, that's cool, too.

Have a great day!

And hum along with me, "'enerythe8th I am, I am...she was married seven times before, and every time to an 'enery, 'enery..."

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
These reasons seem logical for high performance applications, but not on a V-Strom.

Questions:

Was the motor running hotter than it should before you installed the wrap?

Did you increase HP after you installed the wrap?
I did it because I could. I've read alot about the benefits of wrapped headers so I thought I'd try it. I've sold pipe wrap kits to several customers but couldn't really talk intelligently about the installation process so I decided to install one on my own bike. The most important trick is to get it wet 1st. No, the bike was not hot and I had no issues with heat. I don't know or really care what the HP is or was although if it gains one or two then that's ok with me too.

·
Registered
186 Posts
won't your wrapped headers hold a lot more humidity and start rusting?
The stainless should be ok. Odd question from a guy with your avatar, though...;)

I read somewhere that wrapping, and similiarly, ceramic coating also increase engine efficiency. Maybe you'll see a fractional fuel mileage increase, which would be a good thing.

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I plan on doing this myself. Where did you get the wrap...and how much was it?
I'm a Parts Unlimited dealer. On page 120 of the '09 Street Bike catalog is Moose Racing exhaust wrap. A 50' x 1" roll in tan is # 1861-0339 @$41.95 and black is # 1861-0340 @ $49.95. There are several different products out there. I think most or all are ceramic cloth, not asbestos. You will need some Stainless steel tie wraps or hose clamps to secure it. It's also easier to work with and get it tight if it's wet.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
what's wrong with my avatar? i park my bike outside, i ride it 350+ days a year, it snows the other 10 or 15 days. you think parking it outside will make it rust?

the only rusty bikes i see are the ones kept under a bike cover, that's why i asked about the header wrap...
i didn't know all stroms had stainless headers...
Daffy, do you post while riding? For as many posts as you have you can't possibly ride "350+ days a year". How about some pics...you must have more than one pic of you're Strom?

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
won't your wrapped headers hold a lot more humidity and start rusting?
I'm trying to figure out how something that gets to several hundred degrees on a regular basis can 'hold moisture'. Where's Mortaine when we need him?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Kick:

Do you still have the ceramic wrap on your headers? I tried this trick several years ago on a two stroke expansion pipe (CR500), but not for performance. I wanted to see if it would quiet the bike some (it did, but it also discolored the pipe so I removed it).

Anyway, I still had the ceramic wrap leftover and wrapper it around my Wee-Strom exhaust, more out of curiosity than anything else. I just took it up to the gas station and back (5 miles r/t). The tail end of the exhaust gets hotter it seems, but I couldn't tell you if the motor ran cooler or better yet. I'm just concerned about the heat from the tail end, especially with factory luggage on that side. Perhaps it's too much for a Wee...

Any advice from the collective?

Z

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I guess I'd make a lousy scientist cuz I have no idea about before and after temps re the existing exhaust gasses. The wrap is still on and I have no intention of removing it. I do know that the exhaust gasses are having a very hard time melting my ammo cans.

Kick:

Do you still have the ceramic wrap on your headers? I tried this trick several years ago on a two stroke expansion pipe (CR500), but not for performance. I wanted to see if it would quiet the bike some (it did, but it also discolored the pipe so I removed it).

Anyway, I still had the ceramic wrap leftover and wrapper it around my Wee-Strom exhaust, more out of curiosity than anything else. I just took it up to the gas station and back (5 miles r/t). The tail end of the exhaust gets hotter it seems, but I couldn't tell you if the motor ran cooler or better yet. I'm just concerned about the heat from the tail end, especially with factory luggage on that side. Perhaps it's too much for a Wee...

Any advice from the collective?

Z

1 - 20 of 21 Posts