StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully this is the last of my misfortunes and misadventures dealt with for a while:

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Hope it all improves for you as well! How many KMs before this? What was the cause, do you know?

Ride safe (and problem free)

Saturn 5 WARDY

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hope it all improves for you as well! How many KMs before this? What was the cause, do you know?

Ride safe (and problem free)

Saturn 5 WARDY
About 88000km. I think the stator was a byproduct of the clutch slipping and engine overreving slightly on a hot day......

Those plates have to have been wearing for a long time - and given the amount of slow riding I do with my commute I think it's likely that's what caused it.

Cheers!

·
Registered
808 Posts
Hey

I also hope your 2012 is a better run Penguineer...its been a long 2011. Come down off the mountain and catch up for coffee in the new year, it will be good to chat (or even better we should get up the mountain more often)

As for the pics, I don't have those parts on my Strom, not that I've seen so far and hopefully I won't get to. Nasty stuff.

Cheers
Trevor

·
Registered
924 Posts
Is a fried stator the ugliest thing in the world or what? :thumbdown: I've got my old one nailed up on the wall as a reminder of the most exasperating ride I've ever done. Maybe I should flick it and get rid of the bad karma.

And Penguineer where's all the friction material from your clutch? Did it really wear down that much? I'm not mechanically minded but that looks like one stuffed clutch to me.

As Mustang says, we should get up the mountain more often for brekky at the brewery, although if going up and down does that to your clutch, well...??? Maybe we could do what the Harley and Indian guys do at the yearly mountain race at Khancoban. They ride to the top and then have a downhill coasting race. A mate of mine does that with some other riders down Mt Coot-tha on his Triumph Sprint but he was mortified once when one of the road luge riders went past him.

Back to the workshop --- when I replaced the stator I just went OEM but I changed the R/R for one of the Mosfet type on the recommendation of Greywolf mainly and it's been fine so far. I'd swapped the battery earlier in the vain hope that this was the problem and not the stator, so I now have a new electrical system, and I've taken the strain off the front of the bike by fitting one of Eastern Beaver's headlight relay kits.

Let's hope we all have a terrific 2012 and we get to spend more time riding and less time repairing.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And Penguineer where's all the friction material from your clutch? Did it really wear down that much? I'm not mechanically minded but that looks like one stuffed clutch to me.
Absolutely cactus. That's only the worst of it - there's supposed to be friction material on the plates at least. There's a couple of other plates that are showing quite heavy wear, including another that's almost down to the metal.

As Mustang says, we should get up the mountain more often for brekky at the brewery, although if going up and down does that to your clutch, well...??? Maybe we could do what the Harley and Indian guys do at the yearly mountain race at Khancoban. They ride to the top and then have a downhill coasting race. A mate of mine does that with some other riders down Mt Coot-tha on his Triumph Sprint but he was mortified once when one of the road luge riders went past him.
Errr.....my game is to get off the mountain without using brakes at legal speeds(60kph) - Henri Robert Drive(road to Nerang) is a doddle, but Mystery needs more work - I've done it, but it's a bit unnerving........

I'd guess that the damage is being done with my regular commute to work - quite reglar slow downs(>20kph) due to traffic incidents, traffic lights etc - it's lasted over 2 years so I reckon that's doing fairly well for the abuse I've dished out to it.

Back to the workshop --- when I replaced the stator I just went OEM but I changed the R/R for one of the Mosfet type on the recommendation of Greywolf mainly and it's been fine so far. I'd swapped the battery earlier in the vain hope that this was the problem and not the stator, so I now have a new electrical system, and I've taken the strain off the front of the bike by fitting one of Eastern Beaver's headlight relay kits.
I've been considering the RR change and the headlight relay, but I've been stuck with this idea of not changing the base bike too much. A new battery is a possibility in the next six or so months I'd guess....the headlight relay could still be a goer......

Let's hope we all have a terrific 2012 and we get to spend more time riding and less time repairing.
Amen.

Bugger, well hope 2012 is a better year

Here,s a link for a replacement to at least one of the issues posted

Buy New Stator Suzuki DL650 V-Strom 2002-UP SV650 (03-07)
I thought the electrosport stator was higher output but less reliable? I've already crisped two stators.......

I also hope your 2012 is a better run Penguineer...its been a long 2011. Come down off the mountain and catch up for coffee in the new year, it will be good to chat (or even better we should get up the mountain more often)

As for the pics, I don't have those parts on my Strom, not that I've seen so far and hopefully I won't get to. Nasty stuff.

Cheers
Trevor
Let me know next time you're in the neighbouhood! Amongst everything else over the last year, something has happened every time there's a ride on or I've found out too late.....this year I want to do a bit more riding and get out and about!

Cheers!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts