StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I collected my 07 v-strom yesterday and I am really enjoying it. I have Tom Tom rider GPS, which I would like to hook up to the battery somehow. Tom Tom says it is 12v, so looking at other posts, it should be fairly easy to hook straight up to the battery. 3 questions though:

1. Where would be a safe place to run the wire? - I have tried to follow existing wiring looms but they tend to dissapear into the bike in certain locations. I don't want to run the risk of melting the wire if I place it too near the engine. Any ideas?

2. Should I fit an inline fuse to the sat nav, and what rating fuse do your reckon would be fine?

3. I've heard that there is a spare socket to allow a heated grip connection. Could I wire to this perhaps?

Any feedback would be greatfully received!

Cheers.

·
0 Posts
It's very easy to run the wires along and on top of the factory wiring harness along the left(sitting on the bike) inside of the frame. You have to raise the gas tank(not remove), and its all pretty straight forward.

Yes, put an in line fuse, 5amp, hook straight to battery.

There is a "horn" lead somewhere in the front left fairing, but it's not hard to run the wires to the battery.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Your best bet is to wire it to a switched source. This way, the TTR will know when the engine is on and turn on the TTR and switch it off when the engine is turned off. Consider a switched fuse block.

If you go with a lead direct from the battery, make sure the fuse is adjacent to the battery.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
I suggest wiring straight to battery and bypass a switch for this reason: If you want to look for something or tweak your current route when you're not moving, you can operate the GPS without having the bike switched on. The obvious downside is you could leave it on. I usually remove mine when it's parked so it's not much of an issue to me.

My .02

When I wired mine I removed the fairing and lifted the tank, ran the wire down the existing harness and used the factory cable ties where possible and added zip ties where necessary.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Definitely run it straight to the battery. The GPS draws very little power and the only time I turn mine off is if I'm going to be off the bike for 30 min or more. I had mine hooked up to a switched source at one time and I much prefer it straight to the battery.

bogey78

1 - 6 of 6 Posts