StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've picked up an 07 and I have a bit of a conundrum I would like some help with.

The rear shock is leaking at the shaft seal and must be addressed, I would like to pull the shock out to have a closer look but I have not found a safe way to lift the rear end to do this. I have no centerstand which seems to be step 1 to each how-to I've searched. I also have no access to rafters in my garage to hang the bike, nor bike stands. I only have jack stands and floor jacks.

I would like to get this remedied for as cheaply as possible, the bike has already failed a safety inspection and because each time costs $250, I simply cannot afford to buy an aftermarket shock at this point. I have read repeatedly that this shock is not user serviceable, stubbornly I must insist that everything is user serviceable even if I have to weld in a valve to recharge the shock, I'm able to do so. I've rebuilt many dirt bike shocks and have oil, nitrogen regulator, etc. Has anyone actually disassembled the stocker before?

·
Registered
316 Posts
The cheapest option is probably to look for a used replacement shock online somewhere.

If you have the means and the skills to rebuild it yourself then more power to you, but I don’t recall ever seeing or hearing about any available rebuilding instructions anywhere. Maybe someone else on here can point you in a better direction, though.

You still need a way to suspend the bike, though. I believe there have been guys who assembled a framework out of iron pipe and fittings which is large/tall enough to tie/hang the bike from it. Look it up on YouTube and see if you’re interested in something like that.

All the normal caveats and warnings apply here, Attempt this at your own risk, I’m not responsible for any damage, etc. :smile2:

·
Registered
15,260 Posts
unfortunately you don't mention your location. Rear shocks puke occasionally.
I had mine rebuilt by Sasquatch Adventure Power Sports, LLC Not a bd investment.
Good luck.
By the by, I rode quite a while with a buggered shock. it wasn't the end of the world.

oh, invest in a center stand it's cheap and a good investment.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
To lift you can flip the footpegs upside down and put jackstands under them.

The safety inspection must be quite detailed to notice a leaking rear shock. Where is this?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Go to Harbor Freight and buy a $40 pivoting wheel chock. Then go to the local home center and buy a 2 x 6 x 6 and two (2) 3/8" eyebolts. Bolt the eyebolts through the 2 x 6 a foot from each end then screw the wheel chock on top of the 2 x 6. Push the bike into the wheel chock and run 2 ratchet straps from the handle bars to the eye bolts and snug then down (do not bind down until you can play a "E" note on the strap) just snug. All you are doing is supporting the bike side to side and also putting a little forward tension to keep the wheel seated in the chock. Now that the bike is being held upright get in the trunk of your car and get out the scissors jack. Put the scissors jack under the engine and then put a small block of wood on top of the jack to act as a "softie". Carefully wind the jack up until the wood makes good square contact with the engine towards the rear of the bike and centerline then carefully wind up the jack until the rear suspension unloads and/or the rear wheel is off the ground.

Wheel chocks are handy to have for instances other than this. Oil changes, tire changes, space saving (an upright bike takes up less space than one leaned over on a aside stand)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Where are you located that a safety inspection costs $250 pass/fail?

If you post a location maybe someone on here is close to you and can help out getting the bike up to snuff so it will pass a safety inspection.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Canada, unfortunately only a few licensed facilities exist so the mechanics charge whatever they please. I was failed for a leaking rear shock and neutral indicator light not working last time, the mechanic was not sympathetic in the slightest.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Has anyone tried to fit a zx14 shock, or have measurements for the stocker length/spring rate? This used to be a pretty popular mod when I owned a SV650 and it appears their suspension is very similar.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
There are plenty of used oem shocks laying around. The DL1000 shock also fits the 650 although it is slightly taller. Put a WTB add here :
https://www.stromtrooper.com/wanted/

Then look at Ebay and see if you can find one. I doubt you will have to pay import fees on a used shock, but it's possible, so check Ebay.ca too.

If you have a garage or carport just run some ratchet straps to hooks on the ceiling(make sure you attache to rafter), hook them on the handles on each side of the seat and lift the rear wheel off the ground.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts