StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
did the usual search attempts and found some answers but hoping you owners can assist me further.

Wondering if any of you owners use the weather feature provided through XM radio. If so, how does it work, and is this feature additional $ from your basic XM subscription?

Looking at the online manual for the 550 I didn't see a headphone jack. I am assuming there is one and it is not soley bluetooth?

Also wondering how long the battery life is on a full charge? I again assume you can charge it and run it without aux. power.

Thanks for some quick help.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
You have to get the GXM30 antenna to get XM and weather is like $4 on top of normal XM. The head phone jacks are on the mounts them selves. You don't get mp3, voice from the Zumo unless it is on a mount.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've decided to take the Zumo 550 plunge. I'm going to get the 550 with the XM antenna and mount it on my DL650. My questions are:

Are there speakers I can put in my helmet that don't use wires?

(as I understand Bluetooth I should be able to hear the music and directions through the speakers inside my helmet, it'd be a bonus if they could be wireless. I don't want to talk on the phone, just hear the directions and music)

Speaking of which:

Will I be able to hear the XM music without any kind of amp using just the speakers in my helmet?

Will the music "dim" when directions are spoken to me?

Thanks
Allan

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
The XM weather option is next to useless. It'll give you rudimentary forecast info and temperatures. The really useful weather is XM aviation weather which will give you nexrad radar. The Zumo does not support this.

Battery life is maybe 7 or 8 hours.

Any of the bluetooth headsets like Scala Rider will connect to the Zumo, but the Zumo does not support stereo music over bluetooth.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Sounds like you haven't been to the Zumo forums.

http://www.zumoforums.com

lots of good info. I'm thinking about the 550 too and had questions about Mac software. Still on the fence tho.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The music pauses when directions are given. I tried a bluetooth earbud set. It didn't provide enough volume and the sound quality was poor. Being mono, half the Beatles are silent for example. It's battery won't last long enough for an all day ride either. Skullcandy Ink'd wired earbuds are only $10-$15 from Target et. al. and provide excellent sound. They also have external noise reduction as good as earplugs. It's really worth it to install a jack on the bike. The bike mount has a jack but the cord bounces around in the wind stream. Putting a jack near the seating position allows the cord to run inside your jacket

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I'm thinking about the 550 too and had questions about Mac software. Still on the fence tho.
Mapsource is now available in a Mac version, but the PC version comes in the box. There are Garmin utilities that will let you do rudimentary maintenance via the Mac such as uploading POI files and firmware updates. I could not get the MadMaps to work using the Mac and Garmin's Mac connectivity tool-- had to use the PC.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
You also wont get XM through Bluetooth. Only mono MP3 and voice prompts through the Bluetooth headsets.

Get a good set of headphones, I use the ER6 and a good mike like Edset if you want to use the phone. I had a complete Edset on my Arai XD and it worked great, but the speakers will not fit inside the Shoei Hornet. So I am using the Edset mic, with the ER6 head phones.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts