StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride early and late season and the road chemicals have done a job on my fork tubes. I promise to try and get over my phobia of washing the bike and will use a corrosion preventative (probably Boeshield T-9) on the tubes after they are clean, but does anyone know how to properly clean off the corrosion already present? I do know that steel wool is a very bad option (tried it once as a youngster with bad results) but am not sure where to go from here. There does not appear to be any pitting or scaling. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!! :confused:

Attachments

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
I would try chrome polish.

·
Registered
664 Posts
It looks just a bit like there's either a hole or a reeeeaaaally deep, rusty pit in the middle picture.

Is that as it appears?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Yup, that looks like a hole. Could be the angle or the light, but it looks like a hole to me.:yikes:

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
000 or 0000 steel wool will remove the corrosion and not harm the good metal. You can use it safely on chrome as well.

Once you have it back to good metal, you can maintain it with "Nevr Dull Magic Wadding." It's a marine product that cleans metal and leaves an anti-corrosion coating.
http://www.nevrdull.com/

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
I have been successful actually sealing leaks etc by super cleaning

dressing with like 800 grit

Filling the "hole" with jb weld

Dressing down the area with block sand paper 600, 800. 1200 then metal polish

If the wiper/seal never gets there just paint that area

·
Registered
711 Posts
I would go with chrome polish first and maybe very fine steel wool if this does not work.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
They need to be re-plated. I'd ride into a local chrome plating shop and ask about that. Be sure the shop knows that the tubes need to be returned to the original outside diameter. You'll need to disassemble the forks yourself, or have someone do it for you, not the plating shop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts