StromTrooper banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have abbot 350 miles o n my 09 Vee and I have noticed a spot of oil on the floor under the bike. After a good look I have found a drip of oil coming off a fitting on the front cylinder above the starter. The manual says it is the cam chain tensioner...

It says that it should be tightened to 16.5 ft/lbs but without removing the cooler I cant get a torque wrench on the bolt. I put a 12mm wrench of it and it did turn an 1/8" maybe.

Is this something that is an issue with the Vee and do you think I should take it in under warranty?

Mark

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
If it is in warranty, you can take it in. You need to figure out how long it will be gone and if it is worth it to you. Sometimes proper torquing will stop the leak but sometimes a new washer is needed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I changed the oil in my 09 1000 last night and noticed a drip in the same place (front cyl. cam chain adjuster). I am leaving for 2 weeks in Montana today and don't have time to take it to the dealer. The allens and the adjuster are tight so not sure why it is leaking. I will keep an eye on it.
Gary

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Harley stickers....oh I get it. I guess my Harley must be made by Honda, it has no leaks. None. Zero. Dry as a bone. Not even a damp spot.

But, I have fixed 3 oil leaks on my superVee. And a coolant leak. And a fuel line leak....all from places well and often documented on this site by others.

The Harley sticker is a great idea though, it helps resale value and will make ladies all hot and bothered when you ride up.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
My bike developed the same problem on the ride to Boise. The bolt was a bit on the loose side so I tightened it. We'll see how it goes from here.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Harley stickers....oh I get it. I guess my Harley must be made by Honda, it has no leaks. None. Zero. Dry as a bone. Not even a damp spot.

But, I have fixed 3 oil leaks on my superVee. And a coolant leak. And a fuel line leak....all from places well and often documented on this site by others.

The Harley sticker is a great idea though, it helps resale value and will make ladies all hot and bothered when you ride up.
I like it. My 2006 Road King has never used a drop of oil. Come to think of it my Dyna and Sportster never used a drop either.:thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts