StromTrooper banner

Help with a sick wee-strom

1710 Views 12 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  cahser11
Hello everyone!

I just became a proud owner of an 08 650 yesterday! I love the bike, but an issue with it, and i am hoping you guys can help.

I picked it up yesterday and i knew it had been sitting a while without use. It had an almost full tank of gas that was stale. I emptied the old gas and put in some new stuff. So it took it out this morning, for my first extended ride and found that its not running good.

The problem is that the engine starts fine and seems to be fine for about 10 minutes. After that, it starts to get really sluggish, and choke out. It appears that its being starved of fuel or air. I could not go above 60 this morning, and was only able to limp home about about 25 or 30 mph.

I have done several things to try and fix the issue. I have replaced all four spark plugs. Same thing. I have put sea foam in the gas and ran it with mixed results. IE, i was able to get her up to 80, but still chokes out at slow speeds and sluggish. :headbang:

I figure the bad gas might have something to do with it. Maybe clogged fuel injectors? Any thoughts?
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
188 Posts
My first thought was run some Seafoam, and clogged injectors. I would probably pull them and soak them in something that won't harm them. Maybe have them professionally cleaned, then do a TB sync. Just some random thoughts. :fineprint:

· Registered
50 Posts
Congrats on the purchase, hope you get it figgured out.

Seems like a weird problem...I'd try and run at least a couple tank-fulls through it. You gapped the new plugs, right? Air filter OK? I bought an '85 Yamaha Maxim a couple month ago that ran like sh*t. New plugs and gas, and you could see the exhaust turn from white to blue to clear.

If you still think it's the injectors, I once used these guys (witchhunter.com/) to clean some 30 yr old fuel injectors. They'll tell you what your flow was before and after cleaning...

· $tromtrooper
2,395 Posts
My Wee once became increasingly erratic and nearly unrideable over several days. I tried seafoam, fresh gas, etc. The fresh gas seemed to help a bit, but not for long. Barely made it to the local Ducati shop for help.

Turns out my problem was a clogged drain line - the one at the gas cap that goes through the tank and empties underneath. It caused water to back up and drain into the tank. They said there was so much water in there (i had washed the bike earlier) that parts of my fuel pump were starting to rust.

Ran great when I got it back, and has done so ever since. This reminds me, I should blow out that line next time I'm fiddling with the bike.

YMMV

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats funny that you should mention that. I was checking out those hoses last night and moved that clamp with my finger. When i did, water rushed out of one of the tubes. About two ounces i would guess. Im wondering if there is just a lot of water in there still?

· Registered
714 Posts
You might have an issue with the gas tank venting. The crappy gas could have plugged that up.

When it gets into an episode, stop and open the tank filler. Try running the bike again. IF this is the issue, you can cheat the vent to get home by putting a sliver of old pop bottle between the gasket and sealing surface- the sliver will allow air to get inside.

I would not suspect water in the gas though. It would always run bad, and probably not at all- water does not burn.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update:

Thanks for the help guys. Here is the new info. I did take off the tank and drain the fuel. There was water in it! I drained the tank completely, and let it set in the hot Texas sun for about 2hours. Bone dry... I put it all back together, and ran it again. Considerably better! :thumbup: It still does not have the power it should though. Going to get suited up for a more extended test later. I will you guys know what happens.

· Premium Member
432 Posts
Update:

Thanks for the help guys. Here is the new info. I did take off the tank and drain the fuel. There was water in it! I drained the tank completely, and let it set in the hot Texas sun for about 2hours. Bone dry... I put it all back together, and ran it again. Considerably better! :thumbup: It still does not have the power it should though. Going to get suited up for a more extended test later. I will you guys know what happens.
I would guess you had water sitting in the bottom of the tank below the point the fuel pump pumps. Once you started moving the bike around, the water mixed enough with the gas in the lower part of the tank that it gave you problems.

You may also want to check the air box for any signs of mouse or rat damage to the filter. If a mouse was to chew a hole in your filter it would be very bad for the engine. You can use a small piece of hardward cloth (wire mesh) to fashion a guard over your air intake. Tie it on with a couple pieces of cord to the inside of the air box. This will keep the critters out.

· $tromtrooper
2,395 Posts
Update:

Super! Do keep us informed.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Resolved!

Hey guys! After some time sweating, cussing, and 80 bucks the issue is resolved. :thumbup: I took the injectors to a local place that did a complete cleaning and she is humming along quite nicely. Thanks for all the help!
:hurray:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.