StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got some accessories and some electrical components to install them from Jim at Eastern Beaver (who is fantastic by the way) for my bike and I was hoping to get some pointers on the electrical side of the house.

I have a powerlet socket, datel voltmeter and lascar temperature gauge on Richland Ricks accessory shelf.

I have the sw motech electrified tank ring to charge my phone

And the GI Pro Indicator.

I also bought the PC-8 from EasternBeaver.

I want the socket unswitched for power all the time to be able to charge the battery and run GPS so no problem there.

Here's my three questions:

I noticed that the voltmeter and temp gauge don't come with any wiring so I was hoping to get advice on the best way to connect those to the PC-8 and amp level?

The other question is has anyone connected the tank ring wiring to a PC-8 and what amp did you use?

Last question is connecting the GI Pro Indicator to a PC-8 and amp level? Have any of you done this?

Thanks for any help in advance, new to the wiring thing, I have directions for installing PC-8 from Jim at EasternBeaver so that is great. Any help is very much appreciated.

David

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Here's my three questions:

I noticed that the voltmeter and temp gauge don't come with any wiring so I was hoping to get advice on the best way to connect those to the PC-8 and amp level?

The other question is has anyone connected the tank ring wiring to a PC-8 and what amp did you use?

Last question is connecting the GI Pro Indicator to a PC-8 and amp level? Have any of you done this?
Fuse sizing is best done for at least 20% over the device draw yet not enough to let the wiring overheat. The voltmeter and temp gauge draw very little power. I like a fairly heavy wire on a voltmeter for best accuracy though so would probably go for about 16ga with a 5A fuse. You can run both the voltmeter and temp gauge off the same wires to save space on the PC8. A phone charger doesn't draw much either. 18ga is typical and a 5W fuse is plenty. The GI Pro attaches to a specific connector on the bike's wiring harness. It won't connect to the PC8 at all.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Okay, thanks a bunch Greywolf!

One clarification to show my ignorance, when you say run both the voltmeter and temp gauge off the same wires, does that mean to do a posi-tap off the 16ga voltmeter wire with say a different gauge wire like 18-20ga to the temp gauge?

·
38,103 Posts
I'm a solder and shrink wrap guy. With the two devices being so close together, any connection that you like will be fine. Wire size isn't important for very short runs to low draw devices. Do they have no wire at all, just screw terminals or what?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, it just came with the connectors for the temp probe but no wires, unless I lost them which I guess is possible. I have never tapped a line for wiring before so I am kind of ignorant to the rules of "tapping" and wire sizing and such. I assume that I could use a posi tap red to red and another one for black to black?

It's a push the wire into the hole and screw the screws down kind of thing. Very small holes so I am assuming use small gauge wires.

·
38,103 Posts
If you don't solder, the Posi line of connectors are probably best. Connect the red hot wires and black ground wires. Let us know how things work out.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Greywolf, everything is done, the toughest thing was feeding all the wires through the bike. Thanks for your help. The temp gauge just won't hold the wires, they keep slipping out of the terminal so I gave up on that, but everything else works great...well except the gear indicator it shows the wrong gear at times, go figure. Sockets, tankbag, gps.

Thanks for your help! I do have to figure out the wiring for the coocase because that still isn't working correctly but it's done.

David

·
38,103 Posts
Maybe you need larger wires on the temp gauge. It depends on what the connector is like. It might also help to cable tie the wires nearby, even if it means affixing something to tie to.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The screw terminal on the back side of it is very small. The screws are tiny and the smaller wires fit in there better. I had 16 gage and the really small wires that came with it for the temp probe. The smaller wires held better but still not good enough. I don't really need it so not a huge deal.

The Gear Indicator is my biggest letdown however. Being a newer rider I like the idea of confirmation of what gear I'm in. Not totally necessary but I was really looking forward to it.

Oh well did the best I could and I don't think its not working because of the install so it's more of a product thing. It works fine it just shows a gear off in the lower gears 1 when its 2, 2 when its 3 etc.

Actually, I do have the red wire running to the fusebox into the same terminal as another red wire from the tankbag (5 amp fuse) but they aren't using that much I don't think, could that be causing a problem?

Thanks again Greywolf!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay forget what I said the GIPro works perfect now!

It always helps to go back and read the directions.

I needed to change the mode to 6 gear settings for most other Suzuki models and now it works perfectly.

Great product, my apologies for blaming the product when I didn't read the directions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts