StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stromette acquired a used Nelson Rigg SB900 saddlebag but not the instructions or tips for mounting. I'm not sure how the large velcro straps fit on the bike, specifically the 2nd (neartest tail). From most pics this strap is hidden but I'm not able to get it under the seat. Bike is 05 DL1k w/Givi V46. Any suggestions or tips here? I can't get the bags over to my buddies w/my bike so they can help me figure this out so I'm kinda stuck. :cry: I'm betting one of my Stromtroopers has the answers for Stromette. It's windy and rainy here today in Phoenix (the 150 day drought has ended!) and I kinda wanted to see how these bags did in this weather.

W

·
0 Posts
I just noticed your post. I have the same bags. I just lay both straps over the seat and attach the small clip straps to the turn signal stalk and passenger foot peg bracket. The rear strap has to be right to the rear edge of the seat. The bags work great.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wrecruiser said:
I just lay both straps over the seat
Thanks for your reply. Re both straps on TOP of the seat.... how could this work (comfortably) for a passenger?? I find it hard to believe saddlebags would only work for riding solo but I can't seem to get BOTH straps under the stock seat. Anyone able to accomplish this??

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
I tried soft bags last summer and wasn't satisfied one bit. Bought a 28 L Kappa top box and backrest pad. Worked well for small stuff and am now waiting for Shad luggage set with lots of room.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
water warrior said:
I tried soft bags last summer and wasn't satisfied one bit. Bought a 28 L Kappa top box and backrest pad. Worked well for small stuff and am now waiting for Shad luggage set with lots of room.

Hmmm, this doesn't help me w/the SB900's. My original question was about mounting them not whether or not people liked/disliked them. Please don't let this thread become a debate on soft bags.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Many apologies Stromette, I wasn't trying to start a debate about soft bags. I didn't write down my complete thought. I found the bags just to hard to try to mount with satisfaction and decided to take the top case option. Ride On.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
water warrior said:
Many apologies Stromette, I wasn't trying to start a debate about soft bags. I didn't write down my complete thought. I found the bags just to hard to try to mount with satisfaction and decided to take the top case option. Ride On.
No apology necessary; Stromette's just trying to get these dang saddlebags on correctly so they don't wind up resting alongside some cactus or something! :cry: I too have a top case (Givi V46) and am just supplementing w/the SB900's for now. Doubt it'll be on my bigger runs this summer though.

·
Registered
152 Posts
STROMETTE said:
Stromette acquired a used Nelson Rigg SB900 saddlebag but not the instructions or tips for mounting. I'm not sure how the large velcro straps fit on the bike, specifically the 2nd (neartest tail). From most pics this strap is hidden but I'm not able to get it under the seat. Bike is 05 DL1k w/Givi V46. Any suggestions or tips here? I can't get the bags over to my buddies w/my bike so they can help me figure this out so I'm kinda stuck. :cry: I'm betting one of my Stromtroopers has the answers for Stromette. It's windy and rainy here today in Phoenix (the 150 day drought has ended!) and I kinda wanted to see how these bags did in this weather.
I saw somewhere on the board that you're very pleased w/the SB900's. What was the solution that you came up with for a good install? I've been shopping around for soft luggage for the *sixfidy*. I solved the "no muffler on the left side for support" issue - ready for some good bags.

Cheers:)
Paul

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
allonsye said:
I saw somewhere on the board that you're very pleased w/the SB900's. What was the solution that you came up with for a good install? I've been shopping around for soft luggage for the *sixfidy*. I solved the "no muffler on the left side for support" issue - ready for some good bags.

Cheers:)
Paul
Hi Paul,

The answer is a resounding "YES" --I'm very pleased w/the bags. So much so that I've almost decided they will accompany me on my USA 4Corner jaunt (10,500 mi in less than 21 days) later this summer. Some of my long distance riding pals think I'm nuts for taking soft saddle bags (and not the Jesse's which have been offered to me) but I just really like the soft bags. (Maybe I just like the underdog?! :wink:) Nelson Riggs gets one of my FIVE STAR awards for products AND customer service so I highly recommend them.
As far as these specific SB-900 bags... I mount the front strap OVER the seat (where a passenger would sit) and the back strap UNDER the seat. I have the Givi mounting plate for the V46 and so I slide the lip of the strap under that plate and the rest of the strap goes under the seat. I've run the bags 2up and was able to get BOTH straps under the seat but it's easier and quicker when riding solo for me to do the front-over-seat and back-under-seat menthod. I've run these bags in ridiculously high winds, hellaciously high temps, and they have been flat out ROCK solid. A common question is do they burn or scratch the muffler or melt or disengrate into space as you're flying down the road and the answer (at least my answer) is *NO*. No scratches, burns, melting--nothing. I'm currently on the road (with the bags :) ) but I'll see if I can't find a pic of the bags mounted on my bike so you have a visual. Let me know if you have any other questions I might be able to address.

Stromette

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Let me say b/f my mailbox is inundated that the white vertical strips on the back of the bags are reflective strips that I added for additional safety reasons. Stromette is all about safety and being seen ya know. :wink: Oh, and my riding partner extraordinare's mount is a BMW R1200RT.

See, even "RTJohn" gives the bags (and the snow) two thumbs up as well: :wink:

·
Registered
152 Posts
SB 900 Bags

Hey Stromette, thanks for the prompt reply. I think I'm sold. Final question, do they come with a rain cover? If not, do they leak.

Thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: SB 900 Bags

allonsye said:
Hey Stromette, thanks for the prompt reply. I think I'm sold. Final question, do they come with a rain cover? If not, do they leak.

Thanks,
Paul
Yes, they come w/rain cover. As far as do they leak... well, I'm the wrong person to ask. You see, as hard as it is to believe, I have over 22k mi on my bike (in 24wks) and it has not seen 1 single drop of rain. (My friends joke and say it's a record of some kind). However, in an effort to be prepared for liquid sunshine I have tested the bags w/the pool hose both w/the rain covers and w/o and I'm fairly confident the covers will suffice in a downpour.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Stromette,

Did your bags come with external rain covers? I was disappointed late last summer when mine arrived with plastic stuff sacks for internal use. Otherwise, the bags have been great, though I haven't been caught in a downpour yet. I don't have any mounting hardware. I just put heavier stuff on the right side and snug it down tight to keep the left side well away from the wheel. They've been very stable, even on a 1,500-mile trip through Michigan's UP to Grand Rapids last Labor Day. If you ever want to test them in a wind, ride across the Mackinac Bridge between the upper and lower peninsulas in a high wind from the west or east. I caught a west wind of 40+ mph (or maybe even higher) on the way south. RVs weren't allowed on the bridge that day. I could see my white knuckles through my black gloves. The saddlebags, the Nelson-Rigg tailbag and the 30-inch waterproof duffle bag bungeed atop the tailbag didn't even notice.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cdnt48 said:
Did your bags come with external rain covers?.
My rain covers are external. Contact NRiggs and talk w/them re getting external covers. Their customer service is top notch in Stromette's book.

cdnt48 said:
If you ever want to test them in a wind, ride across the Mackinac Bridge between the upper and lower peninsulas in a high wind from the west or east.
Been there, done that (though not w/SB900 bags). Not as bad as parts of desert SW (like I-40 in NM). I've seen large trucks over on their sides. :shock:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Good plan. I sent them an email complaining and requesting a pair of external covers. I also have their RTB500 tailbag, which was a steal at about $52. It came with an external cover. If I wanted waterproof stuff sacks, that what I would have purchased, eh?

Regarding high winds, I logged a 600-mile day early last June riding from northern Colorado to Pocatello, ID, in crosswinds of 40-50mph, maybe higher, and with higher gusts. While unpleasant, at least I didn't have to worry about getting dumped into two of the Great Lakes!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Hey Stromette, (or any1 who knows)

I just received my set of SB-900's. I got em on the bike ok buuut.....

I get the little fold down flap on the inside to keep the bottom formed, but what is the Big three sided band for? I thought maybe it was to support and keep the form of the front-top-and back from inside the bag, but it doesn't seem to go in the bag in any configuration! How do you put these in?

Please help, anybody?

Jim

·
Registered
155 Posts

I get the little fold down flap on the inside to keep the bottom formed, but what is the Big three sided band for? I thought maybe it was to support and keep the form of the front-top-and back from inside the bag, but it doesn't seem to go in the bag in any configuration! How do you put these in?

Please help, anybody?

Jim
It's exactly as you said its for. There are inserts at the the bottom front and rear for the stiffner to go into and a flap at the top of the bag, where the stiffner threads behind. There is one problem though, the stiffner is too long so bends inwards at either the foward or rear leg (depending on which end you insert first). Some have stated they have trimmed off one end so it fits better. I have just let it bend inwards and when I pack, the stuff pushes against the bend so the stiffner holds things tighter in the bag. I put things like belts and socks in behind the bend so its not wasted space.

Be aware it does take a little bit of effort to get the stiffner inserted into bag. I actually stated to my partner that they didn't fit and I had got the wrong inserts until I finally forced them into position.

·
Registered
83 Posts

I get the little fold down flap on the inside to keep the bottom formed, but what is the Big three sided band for?
Jim
At the top inside of the bag you'll see a wide loop of fabric. Thread the band through the loop. Note that each leg of the band is a different length. The long leg goes along the inside of the side with the mesh pocket. At the bottom of each side of the bag you'll see a short pocket of fabric. Stuff the bottom end of each leg of the band into the appropriate pocket. The bag should now keep its shape very nicely.

--Mike

·
Registered
413 Posts
Thanks everyone,

I got them both threaded in. I have the "to long" side on the back side. But I'm glad to hear the one side is a tad to long because it was driving me nuts. I thought I was just missing something on the install.

" I love the smell of new nylon bags in the morning,.. Smells like... travel" ;)

·
Registered
155 Posts
At the top inside of the bag you'll see a wide loop of fabric. Thread the band through the loop. Note that each leg of the band is a different length. The long leg goes along the inside of the side with the mesh pocket. At the bottom of each side of the bag you'll see a short pocket of fabric. Stuff the bottom end of each leg of the band into the appropriate pocket. The bag should now keep its shape very nicely.

--Mike
OK going on your post I revistited my bags and you are right, one leg is ~33cm the other ~32cm. I then measured the inside of the bag and got approximately 32cm and 31cm but the longest side is the opposite to what you state. It is the side with the pen pockets.

I had one of my stiffners the wrong way round so flipped it over and put the long side to the longest side of the bag and the fit is much better. There is still a bend but much reduced.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts