StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PLEASE HELP! I went to the Eastern Rend. in NC last week and had a wonderful time! :D The Strom did great! I rode it a total of 1004 miles.

Problem is, when I got home Sunday I parked the bike and was not able to ride it all this past week. My son got it out yesterday and IT WON'T START!!!! :bom_furious3:

It turns over fine but it is not firing...

Anyone have any ideas? I'm gonna try to take the tank off sometime today and see what may be going on under there...I have done that once and that can be a job.

I have to get it going SOON!! It is SOOOOOO nice here right now

·
No longer riding.
1,520 Posts
Are the guages sweeping? Any lights or other things not normal? Can you hear the fuel pump wine when you turn the key?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Check the instrument display for any oddities. If everything looks normal and you can hear the fuel pump, try opening the throttle all the way and crank it to see if it starts to catch. It may be flooded and opening the throttle lets in more air.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are the guages sweeping? Any lights or other things not normal? Can you hear the fuel pump wine when you turn the key?
Yes, No, yes.

Everything looks and sounds normal. That's what is so puzzling.

I had another weird thing happen the night before I left for the rally.

I was moving the bike, walking beside it with it at an idle, when all of the sudden there was a loud pop. Then it started running really rough. I took the tank off and LONG story short :) I found that one of the intakes (?) from the air box to the head had SOMEHOW popped out of the rubber boot on the airbox. It was of course, sucking in WAY to much oxygen and thus running real bad. I re-seated the intake into the rubber boot. The clamp was tight, I have NO idea how that thing popped out :confused: Anyway, after reseating it and retighening the clamp and re-assembling the bike, it started and ran fine for 1004 miles.

Now, as I say, it won't even fire!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
No longer riding.
1,520 Posts
try opening the throttle all the way and crank it to see if it starts to catch. It may be flooded and opening the throttle lets in more air.
This would be my next try. I have heard of this on several bikes.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
It may be flooded and opening the throttle lets in more air.

Does it?
I know that "in the old days" of carburettors fully opening the throttle or fully depressing the gas pedal was the way to start a flooded vehicle but does that still work with FI? I understand that opening the twist grip probably opens the butterfly valves in the throttle bodies but what does the FI computer do? Would it not sense the full open throttle position and try to pump in large amounts of gas to correct the mixture?

·
38,103 Posts
All I can tell you is it works. Opening the throttle takes the FI system out of starting mode.

·
$tromtrooper
845 Posts
Does it?
I know that "in the old days" of carburettors fully opening the throttle or fully depressing the gas pedal was the way to start a flooded vehicle but does that still work with FI? I understand that opening the twist grip probably opens the butterfly valves in the throttle bodies but what does the FI computer do? Would it not sense the full open throttle position and try to pump in large amounts of gas to correct the mixture?

Nope, opening the throttle signals the ECM to go to a "clear flood mode". ECM sees TPS open and crank sensor is showing low RPM so injector are not fired so that the excess fuel is cleared.

But getting back to the problem. Do as Greywolf says. Check for fuel pump noise. If you hear the fuel pump initially when the key is turned on and not while the engine is cranking check for spark. Open the gas cap up and put you ear to the opening. You can find cheap spark testers at auto parts stores that simply attach to the spark plug wire. If the plugs are not firing the fuel pump will not run. The ECM will not run the pump if it cannot fire the plugs. The pump is designed to run for a few seconds when the key is first turned to the run position to prime the system. A motor needs three thing to run, spark, fuel and compression. Let us know what you find and we'll go from there.

·
38,103 Posts
If it's been sitting for a long time, try the standard starting procedure first. Whatever imbalance may have taken place could have cleared by now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nope, opening the throttle signals the ECM to go to a "clear flood mode". ECM sees TPS open and crank sensor is showing low RPM so injector are not fired so that the excess fuel is cleared.

But getting back to the problem. Do as Greywolf says. Check for fuel pump noise. If you hear the fuel pump initially when the key is turned on and not while the engine is cranking check for spark. Open the gas cap up and put you ear to the opening. You can find cheap spark testers at auto parts stores that simply attach to the spark plug wire. If the plugs are not firing the fuel pump will not run. The ECM will not run the pump if it cannot fire the plugs. The pump is designed to run for a few seconds when the key is first turned to the run position to prime the system. A motor needs three thing to run, spark, fuel and compression. Let us know what you find and we'll go from there.
Thanks for the advice. I am hoping to get to work on it tonight. The weather here is NICE and it's killin' me to let the Strom set! :(

BTW, the fuel pump DOES do it's thing when the key is turned on. Everything sounds normal. It just isn't firing. I will investigate further tonight. I don't know how it can be flooded as it had set for almost a week before trying to start. It has never behaved like this before.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts