StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have successfully installed 2 Stebels in 2 other vehicles I own (car and scooter) but yet when I follow the directions included with the Stebel as well as a extensive search of the site, when I hit the horn button, the 20amp fuse from the battery to the relay blows every time??? the leads from the stock horn are blk/blu and blk/blu (with a silver dash).... any electrical gurus out there help a brutha out ?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The first thing to check is to make sure there isn't a short in the horn itself. Connect the ground side and fused link side directly to the battery for a moment and make sure the horn works. The colors you stated don't match my wiring diagram. Are they on a short run to a connector and, if so, does the connector have a blk/w for the ground side and a mainly orange for the hot side? Put them on a test light and make sure pressing the horn button lights the light. If the test light lights and the horn works on direct battery contact, check the relay. The stock horn leads alone attached to the relay should click the relay when the horn button is pressed. There should be no continuity between either relay connector for the stock horn leads and the connectors for the battery and the stebel horn whether the relay is energized or not. The connectors for the battery and the stebel horn should have continuity only when the relay is activated. Are the relay terminals marked 85, 86, 87 and 30? If so, the stock horn leads should be connected to 85 and 86. The battery+ and one side of the stebel should be attached to 87 and 30. The other side of the stebel should be attached to battery-.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
... horn does not work when wired directly to the battery.... back it goes... thanks all.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts