StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this goes in the Service section.

Two tanks ago I had taken a long day ride to visit some friends. In the evening I filled up the tank, and immediately the bike began riding rough, but it was more than rough. The bike hesitates, hiccups, stalls, chokes itself and various other nasty things such as get 75% of the normal gas mileage.

I've ridden through most of that tank and filled it up again. Towards the end of the first tank it appeared to be running better, but after filling it it got worse.

One thing that has gone away is the choking. Before, when I gave it gas, it might actually slow down. That happened to me once in my old truck when there was water in the fuel filter. But Vstroms don't have fuel filters - and that has gone away.

Now, if not warming up or twisted throttle the bike stalls very quickly. I'm getting towards the bottom of the second tank. Should I just empty it? How will I know if the bad stuff is gone? How can I drain it?

Any other advice? This has become very annoying, and I'd like to get my old bike back.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
There is a two stage fuel filter in the tank. It's part of the fuel pump.

I've been through a couple of tanks of bad gas in the last half dozen years. The best fix is to drain the tank. That's what I did the second time. The first time I bulled my way through it like you are doing.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
I'd recommend that you drain as much fuel from the tank as possible.
How?
Siphon, pump, etc.
Add 1/2 a bottle of Seafoam and fill with good, fresh unleaded gas from a reputable station.
Run it, and repeat.

What does Seafoam do?
See the post just before you asked that question.
Of course, it's not really MAGIC, but it sure seems like it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm out of town until next Monday. I'll drain the tank and put in some seafoam when I get back.

What's the best way to drain it? Turn it over? Doesn't it have an electric fuel pump? Last time I took the tank off very little gas came out.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Sure sounds like water in the gas. You might try some HEET or similar water-remover (the maker claims that "Iso-HEET" is better). Many of the fuel treatments remove some water from the fuel system, but HEET-type products take out more water and probably do less of the other good stuff. Actually, they emulsify the water so it goes through the engine in such small droplets that there's enough gas in the mix for the engine to keep running. When that tank of water & gas is gone, refill with good gas.

·
Registered
162 Posts
One of the claims of Sea Foam is that it is a gas dryer. I would add it now and let it sit while you're gone and just ride it. I've had Sea Foam work wonders on bikes with old gas and gummed carbs...at the same time. It doesn't work instantly but it does work.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just got back. Tomorrow I'll drain the tank (has about 150 miles on it anyway) and add one of those products to a full tank.

Hopefully it will get running better.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, I put in HEET and Seafoam. It may be better, but there is still running rough problems. I'll drain the tank tonight and put in fresh gas to see if that helps.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Seafoam

I have had really good luck with this product. If condition persists after using the Seafoam then your condition has nothing to do with bad gas (my conviction).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Tanker Trucks - CAUTION

Drain the gas out of the tank by following the gas tank removal process in the manual. Once you have the fuel line removed you can let gravity work.

As for the fuel I never fill up when there is a tanker truck in the lot. Not that there is a problem with the fuel they are adding BUT when they dump 10,000 gallons it stirs up years of the accumulated debris in the stations tank. Usually that is not a problem as it settles pretty quickly but for the few hours after the station was refilled you can get some pretty nasty fuel.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Drain the gas out of the tank by following the gas tank removal process in the manual. Once you have the fuel line removed you can let gravity work.

As for the fuel I never fill up when there is a tanker truck in the lot. Not that there is a problem with the fuel they are adding BUT when they dump 10,000 gallons it stirs up years of the accumulated debris in the stations tank. Usually that is not a problem as it settles pretty quickly but for the few hours after the station was refilled you can get some pretty nasty fuel.
there was no truck in the lot.

I drained the tank into a bucket, and it looked like someone had ground black pepper in the gas. There were hundreds of little flakes peppering the ~1 gallon that was left. No water, but I'll avoid that gas station next time I need to fill up.

Right now I'm in PA visiting family, will put the tank back on and finish hooking up my new heated grips upon my return. Looking forward to both being done.:thumbup:

·
Registered
38 Posts
I seem to have picked up some bad gas while traveling through Ecuador. The problem started about two weeks ago with some major bogging on low tanks and full throttle grips. After trying some STP fuel treatment, the problem did not improve. I drained the tank this morning. I found some water in the bottom. I would guess it would amount to about a 1/4 of a coffee cup. The tank is about drained as much as I could, and now sitting outside to air and dry. Should I put in rubbing alcohol after? My old man said that would be a good idea.

I found tiny amounts of dirt and grime around the fuel pump. Should I be worried about this? Do I want to disassemble the pump to clean it and the filter?

What will be the best way to ensure all the water is out before putting the tank back on? I dont have access to HEET down here, nor a Vstrom manual.

Thank you for your time.

:headbang:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I seem to have picked up some bad gas while traveling through Ecuador. The problem started about two weeks ago with some major bogging on low tanks and full throttle grips. After trying some STP fuel treatment, the problem did not improve. I drained the tank this morning. I found some water in the bottom. I would guess it would amount to about a 1/4 of a coffee cup. The tank is about drained as much as I could, and now sitting outside to air and dry. Should I put in rubbing alcohol after? My old man said that would be a good idea.

I found tiny amounts of dirt and grime around the fuel pump. Should I be worried about this? Do I want to disassemble the pump to clean it and the filter?

What will be the best way to ensure all the water is out before putting the tank back on? I dont have access to HEET down here, nor a Vstrom manual.

Thank you for your time.

:headbang:
This is late, but denatured alcohol works better than rubbing alcohol. Water in your tank is no fun. At least you figured it out.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My bike is acting up again. It's not as bad as last year, at least not yet. It did die today however, and wouldn't start again. That was due to running the battery down from inflating a tire. Some jerkoff deflated my tire last night. He left a note saying I parked in his unmarked spot. This morning I had to run my slime pump, and that left the battery low.

Anyway, it shouldn't die or even run rough. Is there any chance the fuel pump could be the problem? Mostly this problem went away during times of warmer temperatures, and now it's back. Last year I drained my tank and have since put in plenty of seafoam. If the injectors needed cleaning it would be a steady problem and not intermittent I think.

I'm at a loss except to drain the tank again. Is there a good way to do that? Last time I turned the key on and off and let the fuel pump flow into a bucket. Then I removed the tank and turned it upside down. I'm not sure if that got all the gas or other stuff out though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts