StromTrooper banner

Help- Problem installing lowering links

2967 Views 20 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Josty
It seemed so easy. Tried very hard -two of us-, even broke a socket. Can't undo the two bolts. What can I do? Can I use heat?

Thanks
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,702 Posts
Try heat only on the nuts, not the bolt heads. Somebody may have added Loctite.

· Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went to a garage today. He tried with tools and it was not possible. I asked him to try air tools. He said he might break the bolts, then I would not be able to leave.

He suggested that I buy the bolts and come back and that he would try.

I know the head is 17MM and the bolt 14MM. Does anybody know the specs for those bolts. I think they are called the cushion lever rod bolt nuts.

38,702 Posts
56.5lb-ft or 78Nm is the torque spec.

· Registered
7,576 Posts
Not too much heat. The bolt goes through greased bearings. You can replace the grease, but you don't want to overheat the bearings. Do not get the nut red, and don't even get it hot enough to melt the grease. Moderate heat will expand the nut enough to help get it off.

If the nut is just overtightened, not just glued on with red loctite, the threads or the bolt may have been stretched too far, or the threads could strip. It would be good to get new bolts and nuts on order if there is any reason except loctite.

· Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went to a motorcycle shop. They installed the lowering links and lowered the front 20 MM. They charged me an hour which I find very reasonnable.

Went for a 300 Km ride and it is much easier to get on and off the bike.:thumbup:

No problem with the sidestand.

38,702 Posts
If you have an ABS bike, you can't run a fork brace with more than a 7-10mm front drop. A fork brace is a recommended addition.

· Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you all for helping me. I have ABS but no fork brace. I chose 20 mm lowering links to be conservative.

One of my friends installed a 2 inch lowering link, then rode the Trans Labrador. His tire went trough the rear fender and he lost most of the stuff that was stored under his seat.

· Registered
47 Posts
Lowering the Vee

As long as we are on the subject, my Baker lowering links for my 1000 came in today and I have a question about getting the bolts out. Is the top bolt going to clear the exhaust junction pipe on the left side? It sure looks close. I know some have asked about putting the bolts in from the right side to make it easier if there is a next time, but I have not seen an answer to that question (I probably missed it). Any advice?

· Registered
28 Posts
Install bolts from right side?

Hi all,

I went through this drill while putting stock links back on my DL1000 - top bolt didn't want to come out until I moved the back wheel a bit until the bolt would clear the left-side exhaust.

When I was putting the stock links back the top bolt didn't want to clear the exhaust, and the bike wasn't exactly rock-solid on the jack. So rather than risk a tip-over while pushing and pulling on the rear wheel I just put the bolts in from the right side - can't see any reason why this would be a problem, but figured I would ask - 'specially since it seems like this would make more sense for ease of assembly but for some reason(?) they come from the factory the other way.

38,702 Posts
It doesn't matter which side the bolt enters.

· Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for the confirmation. Now I just need to put the forks back to stock position...

Also FWIW, the Pro-Tek LL-45 links that were on the bike are supposed to allow the height to be set to stock by using the first set of holes. When compared to the stock links I put back it was not an exact match - the first position on the Pro-tek was about 1/4 inch longer than stock length.

38,702 Posts
I would prefer the front be lowered 10-15mm below stock with the stock rear end height. It makes steering more responsive and the lower angle of attack helps prevent aerodynamic lift. Many who have tried it have declared their bikes more nimble yet more stable at the same time.

· Registered
984 Posts
Thanks

Excellent advice Greywolf. Will be doing this mod first thing in the spring before putting the bike back in service.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.