StromTrooper banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really struggling to diagnose this problem which is plaguing my DL650. It is a 2007 model with ABS.

It has been running fine then about 6 weeks ago, it would not rev above 6000rpm, no misfire just completely flat, no power. The fuel pump was also quite noisy, certainly much more noisy than my last 2005 DL650 Strom.

First of all i thought it was fuel, and in particular the high pressure fuel filter. However before i changed this, i decided to check all the electrics. I changed the Spark Plugs, and i also contact cleaned and sealed all the electrical connectors, that i could find, and checked the coils and plug leads.

Suddenly it was running fine, so i figure that i have the problem solved, the fuel pump noise had also disappeared. It was nice and quiet agin

Then today the problem has started once again.

My thoughts are, that it is probably not the high pressure fuel filter, otherwise how was it suddenly not running above 6000rpm and then for a few weeks it was working fine?

Tonite when it started doing it again the tank was about 25% full, so quite low, and it was also much colder.Whereas for the last few days that i have been using the bike it has been quite warm and the tank has been quite full. It does not seem to like cold air or low fuel amounts,as i have noticed before this is when the problem seems to be most prevalent.

I was also told it could be a sticking SDTV?

Also i did remove last year a DATATOOL alarm which was faulty, could this be a reason ? faulty wiring?

Any help or advice gladly received this is driving me nuts.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
You said your fuel pump is/was noisey... I say it has something to do with that or a dirty fuel filter...

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it was noisy when it would not run past 6000Rpm, Then it was running fine, with a quiet pump. Now it will not run above 6000Rpm again, but the fuel pump is quiet? !!!!

What i don't understand is that if it is a faulty Pump/Filter then how was it running normally again for a while?

It also seems to be affected worse,when it is cold or when the tank is low.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
There could be water in the fuel or loose crud that builds a coat on the filter under pressure but falls off when still.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
A friend’s bike had the similar symptoms. We finally figured that it ran well with a full tank but started acting up below a third tank and deduced that filling the tank dislodged debris from the primary filter and also diluted the debris % in the tank. We ended up cleaning the primary filter and tank and bypassed the secondary filter as a solution.
Initially, just removing the tank and moving it about the garage was enough to dislodge the debris to produce satisfactory fuel flow readings which made the diagnoses tough.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Grey, that is what i am thinking either water in the fuel OR a partly blocked filter. What i find strange is that i was not working then it was working absolutely fine, then not working again. Especially after checking all the electrics, i thought i had the problem fixed.

I will do the fuel flow test this weekend, then if it is required, i will replace the high pressure filter and strainer, and clean the tank.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Grey, that is what i am thinking either water in the fuel OR a partly blocked filter. What i find strange is that i was not working then it was working absolutely fine, then not working again. Especially after checking all the electrics, i thought i had the problem fixed.

I will do the fuel flow test this weekend, then if it is required, i will replace the high pressure filter and strainer, and clean the tank.
Check out my earlier reply for a possibility

·
Registered
335 Posts
There could be water in the fuel or loose crud that builds a coat on the filter under pressure but falls off when still.
+1

Your neighbors missing poodle is bobbing around in the tank.
When it's sucked up against the fuel filter intake, you loose pressure.
If you hold your left foot up and to the north, with the engine off, the dog floats toward the end of the tank closest to the pet cemetary.

Remove the tank and clean the crap out of it. Pull off the pump section and clean out the intake screen. Hope that does it.

If not, do the filter bypass like all of us other schmucks who have had this problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts