StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have some teton aluminum pannier i got off another bike, and instead of buying a whole new luggage set for my wee, i thought I would make these work.

My question is, are the Givi racks heavy duty enough, or do I need to go with something like a happy trails rack? The Givi racks are like $100 cheaper, so I would prefer those. Any idea how tough it would be to mount aluminum panniers to these? Thanks all!

Givi Racks
Givi PL532 side case Fitment Kit for the Suzuki DL650 - Suzuki V-Strom 650. - Sport Tour Ltd.

Happy Trails
Suzuki DL650 Luggage - KLR650 & Adventure Touring Motorcycle Luggage and Aluminum Panniers

·
Registered
386 Posts
You can make the GIVIs work. They are plenty strong. Honestly, if a rack was super stout you'd mess up your bike if you crashed, etc. The racks should give first.

Twisted Throttle has a kit to fit any flat sided case to a GIVI rack. FWIW they also offer a quick disconnect rack too. I've got their racks w/Plano cases. My wife has GIVI racks with Twisted Throttle's Storm case pkg. All their SW Motech stuff is high quality.

Racks

Hardware

The Works

·
Registered
100 Posts
Another option is the SW Motech mounts. I have friends with Happy Trails, SW Motech and none of them have had any problems. The DL1000 guy made some HUGE aluminum panniers and bolted them to the SW Motech mounts. He had no trouble on a nearly 11,000 mile trip that turned around at the Arctic circle. Probably any of the three are pretty good. I think all of the SW Motech mounts are quick detachable now if that matters to you. We have another customer with just over 100,000 miles on a 1000 with large Givi plastic bags. I think his are Givi mounts. Their stuff doesn't always look very heavy but I haven't seen any problems. Happy Trails has offered very good customer support to us. When you call, you get to talk to people who know the products first hand.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts