StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 DL650A with ~8,000 miles. Tore my ACL playing rugby back in November so my bike sat for 6 months. Then I let a friend borrow the bike for about 1 month and it ran well. Sat for another month before my knee was strong enough to ride again. Started up right away, albeit weakly. Ran for one minute before it sputtered out and would not restart. Took the battery for a check and it was bad so I just replaced that, however......

Initially, it would start after sitting for awhile but died after a couple seconds and then wouldn't restart (would still crank).

Had to leave in the garage for a month due to work-related travel. New battery still showing 11.87V.

Now it will crank but won't start. I did a fuel flow test as described on the Vstrom RI forum.

My result from the flow test was ~280mL. Doesn't seem low enough to cause the issues I'm seeing. I also checked the air filter. It is dirty but not so much that it should prevent starting or cause it to die.

Any theories or previously solved similar sounding cases.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
EDIT: This is a repost because I'm a moron and forgot I had posted here before. Still having the issue but have some updates on my troubleshooting progress.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
You have some pretty old fuel in there and flooded intakes from unsuccessful tries. It also seems you never charged the new battery. Get a motorcycle battery charger to top it up or jump to a car battery. You can try opening the throttle while cranking to let in more air to get it to fire but you may need to siphon the fuel out into a car tank and get some new fuel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any recommendations on a tutorial for draining the intakes? Also, the battery was at 12V when I installed it a month ago. I think the repeated tries have drained it a bit. I have a battery tender but it just flashes red when I connect it (not charging).

·
38,103 Posts
You just open the throttle to let more air in to counter the flooding. You don't drain the intakes. You have a battery problem. A fully charged good battery will not read that low.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK so I've charged the battery (12.67V), drained and refilled the tank, and tried opening the throttle fully while attempting to start. Still ******. I'm thinking my next step is to replace the fuel and air filters. Does this seem like a logical progression or am I spinning my wheels? Am I opening a big can of worms with the fuel filter change?

·
38,103 Posts
Instead of going to the extreme of opening the throttle all the way, it works best to open it fairly slowly until the opening lets it enough air to match the fuel flow. If you are worried about the fuel flow, do a test. The following is in a DL1000 forum but the procedure is identical. I'd post a better link But I can't seem to get to the VSRI forum right now. You may have the same problem for a while.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/762651-post6.html

It can take a while to get fresh fuel through the lines. I highly doubt that filter changes will do anything unless your fuel flow check shows a low volume. You might want to take the air filter out, prop up the tank, and spray a little starting fluid in the intakes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Really appreciate the help. I did the fuel flow test and got ~280mL after 3 cycles. It's a little low but doesn't seem like it's low enough to prevent a start. I don't have any starting fluid on hand but I'll pick some up and try that.

The only other thing I can think of is bad or dirty plugs.

·
38,103 Posts
You may have stuck or blocked injectors.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Your battery sounds suspect with the voltages you have quoted.

Can you get a jumpstart off a better battery ?

"Get your battery load tested." a slow crank will not help your situation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts