StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help all, just changed my filter for the second time but this time I think I tightened the filter too tight as the rubber gasket looked like it was bulging on the bottom. I loosened it up and tried again and its' still spraying fast as well.

HELP!!! Should I just put the old filter on there for now as I may have ruined the seal on the new filter?? I'd have to even go get more oil as I only have one quart left on me. ...arrggh....not sure what to do ..any advice appreciated!!

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Help all, just changed my filter for the second time but this time I think I tightened the filter too tight as the rubber gasket looked like it was bulging on the bottom. I loosened it up and tried again and its' still spraying fast as well.

HELP!!! Should I just put the old filter on there for now as I may have ruined the seal on the new filter?? I'd have to even go get more oil as I only have one quart left on me. ...arrggh....not sure what to do ..any advice appreciated!!
Nine times out of ten this happens when the old filters rubber gasket stuck to the engine block. Pull off the new filter and scrape the old gasket off the block. Put the new filters back on (doubt it was damaged) and you are good to go.. other then the mess and needing more oil of course.

-GW

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Time for a new filter.

OEM filters, follow the directions to make two full revolutions after the gasket first makes contact, watch carefully for that first contact. After market filters, the old adage of 3/4 turn after gasket contact should be sufficient, but check to make sure.

OEM filters have a different o-ring seal gasket than after market filters. One is round, the other square- just can't recall which is which.

At least is a sub-$20 learning lesson, a new filter and a couple quarts of oil. That's life.

(edit)
Oh, and like the other guys said, too, if you double gasketed. Did that once on a car, lost three quarts VERY fast. What a mess, driveway is an incline and the oil ran...

·
0 Posts
One time while changing my oil, I forgot to put the "oil fill plug" back in after filling with oil.

Take my advice, NEVER DO THAT!!!

I'm still cleaning oil spray off the wall of my garage:p

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IT was the 'ol old gasket stuck on there and I didn't notice as it was just getting dark when I did it. That'll teach me do blow off changing it til dusk so I don't lose any riding hours.

Panic set in and now I'm all better thanks to you all. I think I only lost about a quart of oil in the fiasco.

Whew...I feel like a dummy, but yes, a dummy who is only about 10 bucks and good lesson learned lol.
thanks again

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok...update on my idiocy..lol

Three cheers for living in Florida as we have ample sand here. All I have to do is go out to any corner and bucket up all I need. My driveway is also on an incline. I figure I lost about a quart and a half...and sure enough it went running downhill...all nice and hot. So all the easy access sand sure came in handy lol.

·
Registered
64 Posts
One time while changing my oil, I forgot to put the "oil fill plug" back in after filling with oil.

Take my advice, NEVER DO THAT!!!

I'm still cleaning oil spray off the wall of my garage:p
Yeap, lots of pressure. At least the funnel that was still in mine kept a lot of the spray localized. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I've forgotten to put the damn drain plug back in. I'll start refilling with fresh oil and suddenly this helluva puddle appears underneath the 'Strom. I've noticed I'm becoming really scatterbrained lately.

I've also noticed I'm becoming really scatterbrained lately.

Damn.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I have done this before.....and I am sure I will do it again. But I do try to check every filter I take off for the gasket. A bit of oil on the new seal will generally help the gasket come free.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Dont feel like the Lone Ranger

I poured 4 quarts of oil into the engine of my 60 Chevy last summer with the car in the street. Didnt notice that I had forgotten to replace the drain plug till the neighbor pointed out the oil running along the curb to the drain. Kind of embarasing then having to go buy more oil really burns you up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah...

I did that once on my Civic... scared the crap out of me until I figured it out.

Bad part was that I was at college and decided to change the oil in parking lot of Ross-Ade Stadium. I lost enough oil in the process that I couldn't drive the thing, so I had to grab my bicycle and make a run out to the nearest Wally-World just to get a few more quarts so I could put the civic back together and get out before football traffic started coming in.

Ahhh, college...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOL you people are making me feel better and better.

About the only other thing similar to this that I've done, is I put diesel fuel in a non diesel car. Of course I completely filled up the car from empty to make matters worse. Final insult. I had borrowed the car from a friend, was just being nice enough to let me use it for a few days. gulp

1 - 15 of 15 Posts