StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellows,
Hey, I'm sorry. I am not much of a forum person but I'm mad and upset because while sitting in traffic today, my 2008 Vstrom 650 just stopped going into gear??!! No weird noises, no clung or grind or anything. Just sitting there left the clutch out and went nowhere. I thought maybe I didn't have first gear pushed the whole way down so I tried again. The shifter clicked down but nothing. So I coasted over to the side of the road and thought that maybe I just lost first gear. So I went up thru the gears and had no engagement whatsoever. The clutch feels fine. All of the linkage down to the transmission is in tact. There is no noise internally, there are no grinding sounds, it coasted fine up onto the trailer, there is no fluid pouring out!! Does anybody know what might have happened?? I'd appreciate any thoughts!
Thanks in advance.
Jeff

·
Administrator
13,943 Posts
Some things you might do:

Douuble check that the lever that moves the clutch actuator isn't stuck. (The lower end of the cable)

Take a look at the chain and the front sprocket and also the clutch actuator inside the front sprocket housing to make sure it isn't somehow jammed up.

..Tom

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
6,937 Posts
You say the shifter "clicked down" but there was no engagement. If you are sure that you can feel the pressure on the clutch lever when you pull it in, could it be the gear lever or linkage not fully moving?
Have you got down to the lever and moved it with your hand while the bike is running (while holding the clutch in)?
Can you really feel the gears engaging?
Its got to be the clutch, gear linkage, or gearbox (and they are quite reliable).

p.s. your bike does not have a slave cylinder. It uses a worm gear connected to the cable which pushes the clutch rod to disengage the clutch.

Is the neutral light on?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
All of the linkage down to the transmission is in tact.
Sticking with the hope that this is not some major failure and that the linkage is reported as "in tact":
With the bike not running _ get down on the floor and move the foot lever with your hand to verify that the actual shift shaft is rotating AND returning to original position when you let your hand go?

Reactions: Brockie and Spec

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Is the shift lever hitting on anything?

Are you sure the clutch is engaged? There's a push rod through the engine take off the primary cover to access.

Does the shift lever return when pushed down there's an internal spring.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Should have added to check if that shift shaft (#18) can be pushed in towards the center of the engine / or out. That shaft has an end piece which moves the part (#19). It is #19 that moves the shift drum / fork concert. It is not impossible on Hondas and Suzukis, etc to have the pin get outside of the open rectangle space on 19.

With the right karma, it can be jiggled back inside.

Attachments

·
Registered
770 Posts
Sticking with the hope that this is not some major failure and that the linkage is reported as "in tact":
With the bike not running _ get down on the floor and move the foot lever with your hand to verify that the actual shift shaft is rotating AND returning to original position when you let your hand go?
In addition to this, make sure that the shaft can't be pushed or pulled out of position. There is a retaining ring close to the engine. For some odd reason about five years ago mine came out of place, the shaft went further into the engine out of position and the bike wouldn't come out of third gear.

Pretty sure it's #26 on this diagram: https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/suzuki/motorcycle/2006/v-strom-dl650/gear-shifting

Mine shifted fine again once I got it back into place and pushed the ring into its groove.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Brockie, you're right. It is a worm thing but that seems to be working. I will check to see if what NVDucati offered does anything. In the diagram offered, I know that shaft #18 is moving with each click up and or down of the shifter. I did not try pushing in or out on it. I will try that in the morning.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To the shop

Thank you all for your suggestions. I can't figure it out. Took it to the Suzuki shop today to have it diagnosed. Now it is just a matter of time and $. I'll post an update for everyone when the pain is over.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Thank you all for your suggestions. I can't figure it out. Took it to the Suzuki shop today to have it diagnosed. Now it is just a matter of time and $. I'll post an update for everyone when the pain is over.
I'm hoping you fix is simple and quick like the outer-most cir clip #26. You might consider asking the shop (in a friendly way) for permission to publish the work order / invoice on the V-Strom forum, at the end.
:wink2:

·
Premium Member
5,365 Posts
:surprise: that actually makes all sorts of sense.

Reactions: richlandrick
1 - 15 of 15 Posts