StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I was wondering if somebody could offer me some advice.

I had to lend my new bike to my Brother who scraped the black plastic part of my original fitment Suzuki panniers on the garage wall whilst putting the bike to bed.

What’s the best way to get the scratches out??

My initial thoughts are to rub them down with wet & dry paper starting with a coarse grit, going down to a fine grit. Once the scratches are removed, I’ll be left with a smooth shiny finish, I was then going to bead blast this to replicate the original textured finish??

Does anybody have any other ideas??

In the UK we also have companies such as “Dentmaster” or “Chipsaway” who offer a mobile body repair service. They work from a van and repair stone chips, bumper scrapes and alloy wheel curb scuffs. Maybe they could repair it??

I know it sounds a bit anal, wanting to repair it, but I’ve only just bought the bike, it’s only got 850 miles on it, and it’s a minter.

·
Registered
832 Posts
'Twas a minter.

I've had good results using Novus plastic polish. No guarantee that it is best suited for your purposes, however. Perhaps dear Brother will offer to purchase the polish kit for you.

Amazon.co.uk: novus

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
If they are shiny thermoplastic it is surprising that heat sufficient to melt the plastic will bring back a sheen.

Like a dirt bike fender

The scratches have to be light and you need to practice but can be done with a propane torch

Back in the day we used virgins urine but where you going to find that today

·
Premium Member
4,187 Posts
Buy a new bag, then sell the scratched one. Probably cheaper than calling in Dentmaster or whatever. Some people consider a scratch to be a good thing, but i understand your issues with a brand new bike.

Tell your brother he can't ride it anymore too. lol.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I dont think I would even notice a scratch in the plastic. I scratched the crap out of my new givi cases after I got them and hadnt even left the garage. Oh well, its a bike.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
I dont think I would even notice a scratch in the plastic. I scratched the crap out of my new givi cases after I got them and hadnt even left the garage. Oh well, its a bike.
Sort of what I was thinking... unless you ride around in felt-covered boots, they're going to get scratched to hell very, very soon anyway.

Get a reflective sticker to put over the scratch?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I know it sounds a bit anal, wanting to repair it, but I’ve only just bought the bike, it’s only got 850 miles on it, and it’s a minter.
Invite your brother over, have a few pints then kick it over in the driveway...

get it over with :thumbup: might as well scratch it early...

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
That's a great idea, I hadn't thought of that....Cheers Mate :thumbup:
yeah thats a good one too, so invite your brother over.... have some pints, then put on the sticker....
:thumbup:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't know how well it would work in this situation, but it seems to work quite well for a lot of things... If it is just a transfer rub, go buy a Mr Clean Magic Eraser. Its completely non-abrasive, conforms, and you can buy them at the grocery store. Its worth a shot, and if it doesn't work, it'll clean the heck out of your fridge, stove, sink, wall, etc

·
Registered
225 Posts
Invite your brother over, have a few pints then kick it over in the driveway...

get it over with :thumbup: might as well scratch it early...
Thats close to how it went for me. Then I drop it on a forest service road, buts that was better than riding into the big hole in the road..........

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Andy,

You had to let your brother ride it? The rule is, you don't let anyone ride it until you scratch it first. Even family.

Oh well, I've had good luck on FJR cases with a product made by Maguiar's, but it was really more of a scuff than a scratch.

Meguiar

Okay, now that we've got that out of the way, about 5 years and 7 months ago I was in Scarborough with my wife. We also had her parents (her dad grew up in Keighley) with us in rented Toyota van, we were all over Yorkshire. The whole time I was thinking about what wonderful motorcycle habitat it is and how darned big a Toyota Van is on your narrow country roads. I wish we had had more time for hiking and sightseeing but we had family to visit.

Bugs do a great job of hiding scratches.

Cheers,

Norm

·
Registered
86 Posts
To echo the theme - now you have a VStrom! Before the damage it was just a new motorcycle.

I like the bug idea - go find a big locust and a hammer & make the scratch disappear! Either that or have your brother put away again on the other side of the garage, at least you'll match on both sides...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts