StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there, I'm stuck with swingarm pivot bearings seazed to the swingarm (the ones holding doggbones and connecting swingarm to the shock linkage). Is there a hole trough the swingarm so I could push those bearings all the way trough? It seems to me there is a base for the bearing in the middle of the swingarm?! In that case what tool I need to get those out please?! I almost managed to nock one out but realised the outer shelve of the bearings is still stuck inside the swingarm. This sucks, any advice greatly appreciated. If I can get them out without removing swingarm, that would be great as I don't have the tool for swingarm removal.

PS: i had a major issue with collapsing linkage, replaced all including the shock and at the same time upgraded the front fork as well. Now almost there and stuck with those bearings. How can I get those out please?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Go to a hardware store and get a length of 3/8" NC threaded rod, 2 3/8 washers, and 2 nuts. Piece of threaded rod through the bearing, and a 3/8" socket large enough inside to accept the bushing. Small enough socket on the other side to push against the bearing inside the swingarm bore. Washers and nuts on both side, tighten one while holding the other to pull the bushing out of the swingarm. You can use small sections of pipe instead of a socket, and depending on size, you can use 5/15 or 1/4" threaded rod, washers, and nuts instead.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Go to a hardware store and get a length of 3/8" NC threaded rod, 2 3/8 washers, and 2 nuts. Piece of threaded rod through the bearing, and a 3/8" socket large enough inside to accept the bushing. Small enough socket on the other side to push against the bearing inside the swingarm bore. Washers and nuts on both side, tighten one while holding the other to pull the bushing out of the swingarm. You can use small sections of pipe instead of a socket, and depending on size, you can use 5/15 or 1/4" threaded rod, washers, and nuts instead.
Yes that would be ideal if there would not be a base for the bearing in the swingarm?!I'm not sure but it seems there is a base from what I could see there, also on the picture. That would not allow me to push the bearing trough. Would you know if there is a bearing base? Thanks very much for coming to help. Appreciate that P

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
2 other alternatives--CAREFULLY Dremel a slot in the bearing, and using an awl, try to collapse the wall you just slotted. Then pull and work the bearing out. Another method--youll need a small slide hammer with an expandable collet on the end proved there is an area behind the bearing for the collet to catch.
Ive had to slot many bearings and bushings. It's time consuming, but it does work. You just want to weaken the wall so that the bearing or bushing can be cracked or collapsed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2 other alternatives--CAREFULLY Dremel a slot in the bearing, and using an awl, try to collapse the wall you just slotted. Then pull and work the bearing out. Another method--youll need a small slide hammer with an expandable collet on the end proved there is an area behind the bearing for the collet to catch.
Ive had to slot many bearings and bushings. It's time consuming, but it does work. You just want to weaken the wall so that the bearing or bushing can be cracked or collapsed.
That's a great advice, thank you very much! I'll get the dremel tool and try it that way. Many thanks indeed!! Best wishes P

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A simple tool made to get new bearings in. Much better than hammer all sorted now, only can hear her ticking. Pretty sure valve clearance adjustment needed. But won't do that, have had enough for now. Will have to book in to a garage. Thanks again and best wishes P

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!
I use a lot of threaded-rod pullers to remove and/or install bushings and bearings. Simple, inexpensive, easy to size, and easy to obtain.
The key thing to remember when installing bearings is never apply force through the rolling elements of the bearing. If you can(coudnt in this case) remove by pulling on the inner bearing race--then discard the bearing. Install by pushing on the outer bearing race.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts