StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I purchased a MadStad bracket despite mixed reviews on this site. The people who favor the product do so with quite a bit of zeal... I had hoped to experience that level of success, but sadly have not.

I am 5'10" with a 32 inseam. I ride with an Icon AirFrame helmet.

The MadStad is installed on my 2010 DL650 in the "Middle" (Default) mounting position as advised in the manual, with my OEM Suzuki Wind Screen. I also have a Pat Walsh Dash installed.

Prior to installing the MadStad bracket I experienced no buffeting. The main reason I got the bracket was to HOPEFULLY get the same blissful quiet I experience when full tucked, when I'm in a more comfortable riding position.

Unfortunately the MadStad does not appear to help the noise and has made matters worse by introducing buffeting with my configuration. Some threads suggest a 'sweet' spot VERY close to some of the more unfavorable ones... The problem is I find almost all of the MadStad spots unfavorable.

The 'good' spots are about on par with the OEM bracket.

Is there a 'trick' to getting it set up right?

I've done ~20 rides/configurations at highway speeds. I've tried it at multiple elevations and tilts. The best so far is when the screen is all the way down and out of the way and my head is sticking up in the wind. In this configuration I get no buffeting but I have the same noise I was trying to eliminate.

Unfortunately I can't just send it back as shipping to USA from Canada costs and arm and a leg and it's more trouble than it's worth. I was REALLY hoping this solution would work for me with minimal pain as advertised but my ears are still ringing from all the test drives and having my head bounce around.

Helpful advice would be much appreciated. I plan on tinkering with it until Saturday before giving up and hanging them on a nail in the garage.

Many thanks in advance!
-DL650

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm afraid I don't have any advice as I am awaiting the arrival of my Madstad myself, hoping for improvement in wind control. Unfortunately the place I ordered it from (A Vicious Cycle in Ontario) have been so far the worst place I have ever attempted to buy anything from. It has been over a month now and my order still has not been shipped - all I got was a lot of excuses so far.
However, if you decide to get rid of it, let me know - I will take it off your hands IF I can still cancel my order from AVC... and I will pay for shipping to Vancouver if your price is reasonable.
Hopefully it will work better for me - I have a Givi tall touring screen, supposedly works wonders with the Madstad as a combo. Will see.
Kris

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Prior to blocking the air from below, I was in the same position you are. Now everything is gold unless there's 40 mph sidewinds sledge hammering my head. It's hard to find a position the madstad and oem windshield doesn't work at now.

·
Registered
372 Posts
When its all said and done you'll probably want to upgrade your windscreen anyway so you may want to hang on to the madstad...I have the madstad and a givi windscreen which works well for me.:thumbup:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm afraid I don't have any advice as I am awaiting the arrival of my Madstad myself, hoping for improvement in wind control. Unfortunately the place I ordered it from (A Vicious Cycle in Ontario) have been so far the worst place I have ever attempted to buy anything from. It has been over a month now and my order still has not been shipped - all I got was a lot of excuses so far.
However, if you decide to get rid of it, let me know - I will take it off your hands IF I can still cancel my order from AVC... and I will pay for shipping to Vancouver if your price is reasonable.
Hopefully it will work better for me - I have a Givi tall touring screen, supposedly works wonders with the Madstad as a combo. Will see.
Kris
I would recommend doing business with Pat Walsh Design. The sales department was very straight forward and easy to deal with. They also have StromTrooper discount codes if you want to bundle the bracket with other accessories.

Ordered last week and it arrived Monday. Great service and they ship via USPS so you don't get over charged brokerage by UPS/FedEx/et cetera.

See below for a link:
http://www.stromtrooper.com/showthread.php?t=52525&highlight=madcombo1

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When its all said and done you'll probably want to upgrade your windscreen anyway so you may want to hang on to the madstad...I have the madstad and a givi windscreen which works well for me.:thumbup:
Thank you for the suggestion. I have a friend who has a Givi windshield. I'll try and borrow it when he's not looking and see how it works with both the OEM bracket and MadStad then report back.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Prior to blocking the air from below, I was in the same position you are. Now everything is gold unless there's 40 mph sidewinds sledge hammering my head. It's hard to find a position the madstad and oem windshield doesn't work at now.
How are you blocking the air?

Fairing modifications, tank bag, ??

Do you have pictures of your configuration posted on the forum?

Many thanks

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
I'd be interested in the details also. After purchasing and trying out a calsci 'short' both with and without a madstad, it is back in the box in a corner of the garage. :headbang: Can't imaging putting anything larger than that in front either. Not really interested in sitting behind a barn door. I'm inclined to agree with others that the solution lies elsewhere, not with the windshield. :confused:

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
//Is there a 'trick' to getting it set up right?
//
Yes, lose the abominable stock windshield for one that is properly designed.

According to Mark Lawrence, V-Strom owner, research physicist, and owner of CalSci, the curve on the top of the stock windshield compresses the air and greats the vortices that create the buffeting so many experience.

Alternatively, you could cut it down, removing the return lip.

·
Registered
168 Posts
When I got mine and used it with the stock WS, there was only a moderate improvement. Then, upon recommendation from another forum member, I bought and installed a Natioanal Cycle VStream WS. Since then I have been in calm air bliss. I am 5'7" and the sweet spot for me is middle position, and tilted 2/3 back. I also have the mirror extenders which help a bit more.

Stan Henley

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, lose the abominable stock windshield for one that is properly designed.

According to Mark Lawrence, V-Strom owner, research physicist, and owner of CalSci, the curve on the top of the stock windshield compresses the air and greats the vortices that create the buffeting so many experience.

Alternatively, you could cut it down, removing the return lip.
Thanks for the advice. I hope to borrow and try a Givi windscreen this weekend and see how it works with both the OEM and MadStad brackets.

What is your vehicles configuration up front? MadStad + CalSci Medum? Long?
What are your experiences with this configuration? Any buffeting? How are the noise levels?

According to MadStad, via private e-mail, the bracket + OEM shield should remove noise and buffeting for riders up to 6' in the 'middle' position. This promise so far has been false for my situation as MadStad has introduced buffeting and the noise is more or less the same... possibly a bit worse. I'm hoping it's simply a matter of tweaking at this point as the MadStad bracket is a brilliant product and I would like to keep it... it just doesn't 'work' for me yet.

I appreciate your feedback and will let the community know my findings with the Givi on both OEM and MadStad brackets after I've tested.

Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I got mine and used it with the stock WS, there was only a moderate improvement. Then, upon recommendation from another forum member, I bought and installed a Natioanal Cycle VStream WS. Since then I have been in calm air bliss. I am 5'7" and the sweet spot for me is middle position, and tilted 2/3 back. I also have the mirror extenders which help a bit more.

Stan Henley
Great information! I'll keep that in mind should all else fail.

This is the kind of post I was hoping for, except with the windscreen I currently own.

To confirm, 'air bliss' == significantly reduced road noise (very quite?) and no buffeting?

Thanks!

·
Registered
353 Posts
blocking air

snip>

I'd also be interested to know how the airblocking at bottom was accomplished. I received both stock windscreenand MRA screen with "spoiler" on a Mastadd with my used 07. I ran the stock for a few weeks and now have the MRA on and figure it is only slightly better than stock screen, experimeting with positions. My 06 had Cee Bailey with Mastadd and the MRA might be slightly better (I find it hard to judge sometimes but I hear my wife talking a lot better so it must be).

I think there could be less noise by blocking air from bottom so I may stuff some pipe insulation foam on the bottom to experiment but I'd be interested in hearing about other better methods that have worked..

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
I'm 5'11" The setting for me is all the way down all the way back. The "book" setting is usless. I run the stock shield. It isn't perfect, but it is worlds better than the stock bracket. With ear plugs, it is a workable solution with a full face helmet. I may try an aftermarket shield sometime, but my experience on other bikes makes me hesitate. They just never seem to do the trick any better and end up collecting dust. Good luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm 5'11" The setting for me is all the way down all the way back. The "book" setting is usless. I run the stock shield. It isn't perfect, but it is worlds better than the stock bracket. With ear plugs, it is a workable solution with a full face helmet. I may try an aftermarket shield sometime, but my experience on other bikes makes me hesitate. They just never seem to do the trick any better and end up collecting dust. Good luck.
Thanks for the information. With your configuration is the MadStad bracket mounted in the low, middle or top position?

I've tried the middle bracket mount position, all the way down, all the way forward. I can't remember if I tried all the way back as well. I'll try tilting it back all the way tonight or tomorrow and see if that helps.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had a madstat bracket on a vario screen, and it worked perfectly - i share similar dimensions as you 5'10", 31 inseam. Perhaps its the rake angle?

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Thanks for the information. With your configuration is the MadStad bracket mounted in the low, middle or top position?

I've tried the middle bracket mount position, all the way down, all the way forward. I can't remember if I tried all the way back as well. I'll try tilting it back all the way tonight or tomorrow and see if that helps.
I installed the madstad bracket per the inst sheet. I think just as the stock bracket was installed. Most sport/street bikes have low screens. They are meant to take the wind blast off you chest, which this set up does, and give you clean air at helmet level. Push that screen all the way down, pull it all the way back, tighten the two bolts and go. Mike

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm 5'10" with 31" inseam and the MadStad and OEM screen are eliminated the headshake and reduced the noise a lot. I have the bracket installed at default. The screen is adjusted at just above halfway up and at two-thirds back. I sit very upright.

Given our similar height and inseam, I wonder what the contributing variables are.

My front end is lowered 15mm. Could that be it?

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
@ DL650 & Chicago

Here's my prototypes made from an old snap on faceshield.
right side and a couple of top views.

Instead of funneling the air up to my head, most of it goes around my sides now.

I've had'm on for almost a year now and been meaning to order some of that kydex that WarHammer uses to enlarge the handguard shields and maybe make'm a little more professional looking.

A couple months ago I took'm off to clean and forgot to put'm back on. First ride without'm I was thinking, the wind sure seems bad today, then realised they weren't there.

Like I said, it's hard to find a spot the madstad and stock winshield doesn't work with these on whereas with'm off, it's just the opposite.

I started out just covering the depression by taping cardboard over it. With a noticed difference I pursued it further. It's simple to do, no cost, and nothing to lose. Give it a try.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@ DL650 & Chicago

Here's my prototypes made from an old snap on faceshield.
right side and a couple of top views.

Instead of funneling the air up to my head, most of it goes around my sides now.

I've had'm on for almost a year now and been meaning to order some of that kydex that WarHammer uses to enlarge the handguard shields and maybe make'm a little more professional looking.

A couple months ago I took'm off to clean and forgot to put'm back on. First ride without'm I was thinking, the wind sure seems bad today, then realised they weren't there.

Like I said, it's hard to find a spot the madstad and stock winshield doesn't work with these on whereas with'm off, it's just the opposite.

I started out just covering the depression by taping cardboard over it. With a noticed difference I pursued it further. It's simple to do, no cost, and nothing to lose. Give it a try.
ozart, you are a mad scientist. I love it. :green_lol:

I read your other thread about feeling with your hand where the air flow is coming from and feel I may have the same issue.

Maybe you should make a template and sell your modifications for the masses, that's what MadStad did after all... A mod for himself that others ended up wanting.

I'll see if I can get some material and mimic the modification.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts