StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm out on a two month tour of North America, and today I dumped the bike over while in Austin, TX. I've got ProTaper SE Bars on the bike, and had been using the stock bar end weights which I'd modified to fit the ProTapers. The left bar end is now thrashed and I'd like to replace both ends with something that approximates the weight of the originals and will fit the smaller interior diameter of the ProTapers... I don't have enough time or tools in any of my stops to re-mod a new pair of stockers...

Any ideas?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?

I spent part of the afternoon looking around in local shops to no avail. I'd be happy to order something overnighted (if I could just figure out what to order...)

Thanks!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'd remove the other side and keep riding. Lots of people run the SE's with no bar ends. Have fun!

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
Cyclegear sells some by Motrax that has two insert sizes, one for steel bars and a smaller set for Aluminum bars.

I don't have them, I have just heard about them. Maybe google Motrax bar ends and see if that helps.

·
Registered
68 Posts
head to the hardware store

here is what I am using for my Pro Taper SE:
I took the stock bar weight and screw.
I bought
1/4 inch I.D. hose that has an O.D. almost the size of the bar's opening
5 nuts for each side (10 total and they are metric)
a thin vinyl hose that fits over the nuts (keeps them turnining as a unit and creates friction in the bar in order to tighten)
a few washers

so put screw into bar end. then a washer then 1/4 I.D. Hose, washer, 5 nuts and then a short piece of vinyl over the nuts.
I thought about using J.B.Weld on the nuts but I didn't. I have not tried to take it apart yet

If you bent/broke the screw see if you can find a 1/4 inch bolt close to that long.

The McGiver in me thinks a lag bolt and a pre-drilled 1/2 wood dowel might work to hold on the stock bar end till you get home.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't use bar weights on Pro Tapers, and don't feel they are needed. I have Acerbis hand guards, so I couldn't if I wanted to anyhow. Bar weights would be nice, but only so I could do the o-ring throttle lock.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Bar end adapters

Hi all,

I'm out on a two month tour of North America, and today I dumped the bike over while in Austin, TX. I've got ProTaper SE Bars on the bike, and had been using the stock bar end weights which I'd modified to fit the ProTapers. The left bar end is now thrashed and I'd like to replace both ends with something that approximates the weight of the originals and will fit the smaller interior diameter of the ProTapers... I don't have enough time or tools in any of my stops to re-mod a new pair of stockers...

Any ideas?
Stumpmeister....look for a pair of Acerbis brush guard mounts(not the clamp on, the bar end insert type) that have both steel and aluminum adapters...I used a set on my K7, I think they cost about $20.00 or so and work great......they will also work with the stock handguards:cool:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks to everyone who responded - i rode home with a whistling handlebar, open on both sides...
the vibration isn't bad at all with the protapers and no bar ends, but it's almost non-existent with the weight of the stock bar ends, so now that i'm back i picked up a set of stockers to re-mod.
thanks again, ya'll!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts