StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The mirrors on my 2006 DL650 will not stay in the position I put them in. When I get up above 70mph the wind pushes them towards me and all I can see is myself. It's really annoying and I'm not sure what I can do about it. My right mirror is definitely worse then the left.

I tried searching the forums but didn't see any threads about this so I thought I'd ask you guys if it's a common problem or if I just have a couple crappy mirrors.

Thanks for any input,
Erich

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Is it the mirror that's turning or the whole thing including the stock? If it's just the mirror, try rotating the mirror to a different position to see if you can find a tighter position.

I've never heard of the problem before.

SS

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
IIRC, the stock mirrors are crap. The adjustment collar snapped on mine as soon as I tried to adjust them. I replace with cheap, long-stem rectangular EMGOs from jcwhitney, but don't see them available now. Anyway, aesthetically, they disappeared on the bike and are rock steady in application.

I do recall one "glass" being not correctly seated when I got mine. A dip in some boiling water softened the plastic enough for me to snap it into place.

See other options here: http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,10936.0.html

Mine are the third pic down.

PS: Oh, just noticed the link to JCW still works: http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/...Id-100000146321/Pr-p_CATENTRY_ID:100000146321

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
After you slide up the rubber boot,the bottom set of wrench flats tightens the entire mirror assembly to the bars. Tighten it 1st, but don't go nuts on it-it is possible to strip out the thread base! Once you have it tight, hold the bottom flat with your wrench and loosen the top, this is the flat that lets you pivot the actual mirror anywhere you want it, you may have to loosen it quite a bit, mine were extremely tight. There is a collar that compresses the mirror stem and holds it in place. I didn't like the stock mirrors, and swapped them out for a set of different mirrors, but they all work about the same anyways. Cheers-BB

·
Registered
37 Posts
Go with the Aprilia Tuono mirrors. $20 each from a dealer and they bolt right up. Rock solid and they reduce turbulance also.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I heard though they provide less rearward vision?
I've not noticed much difference after having mine installed for a few weeks. I can see more of the stuff behind me and less of my shoulders & arms... so even if they have less reflective surface area, I'm seeing more of the stuff I need to see in traffic.

I think they're a nice addition to the V-Strom. Plus my stock mirrors were worthless is the rain since they were fogging up as soon as it began misting. They more than likely started separating at the seams and let water in behind the glass. :cursing:

·
Registered
671 Posts
I've not noticed much difference after having mine installed for a few weeks. I can see more of the stuff behind me and less of my shoulders & arms... so even if they have less reflective surface area, I'm seeing more of the stuff I need to see in traffic.

I think they're a nice addition to the V-Strom. Plus my stock mirrors were worthless is the rain since they were fogging up as soon as it began misting. They more than likely started separating at the seams and let water in behind the glass. :cursing:
I dig it... thanks...

Anyone know if this will work with stock heated grips module?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Anyone know if this will work with stock heated grips module?
None of the parts of the mirrors or stalks come in contact with the grips.

Unless there's a part for the heated grips that uses the little threaded part that holds the mirrors in place, you'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
One of my stock mirrors did the same thing. It would not tighten up no matter what I did. The other mirror worked fine. I took it to the dealer for a warranty claim and they blew me off and wouldn't help. Aftermarket is the only way to go.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
I couldn't get mine to snug up no matter what I did.

I put a couple of washers on and - presto - perfect fit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts