StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please see the white flecks of what appears to be corrosion on my brake calipers. These flecks cover my frame, my engine - they're everywhere. The bike came from Florida (near the sea). This type of corrosion won't come off with a scrub brush & vinegar, soap and water, or degreaser.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

Thank you!

Patrick

Attachments

·
Registered
1,845 Posts

·
Registered
22,373 Posts
I have learnt to live with it I lost a wire harness to cancer

Suzuki NA tech said he never seen anything like it

all it took was one northern New England winter, it's seen 10 of em now, and even though it looked like sh!t after the first, overall, it's holding up to em better than my 4 wheel vehicles

·
Registered
394 Posts
Please see the white flecks of what appears to be corrosion on my brake calipers. These flecks cover my frame, my engine - they're everywhere. The bike came from Florida (near the sea). This type of corrosion won't come off with a scrub brush & vinegar, soap and water, or degreaser.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

Thank you!

Patrick
Have you tried super fine steel wool, with soap and water? Try it on an inconspicuous spot first.

·
Registered
482 Posts
It looks like good old aluminum corrosion. All the parts you mentioned are aluminum. Possibly the salt from the air. Storing the bike under a tarp keeps the moisture from evaporating too. I had a Honda (car) engine that was covered in corrosion every spring. Naval jelly is a mild acid that removes rust, in fact I think there is a product exclusively designed for aluminum. Once it starts it etches the metal and is difficult to permanently eliminate. A wipe down with some sort of oil like WD40 helps. I saw a new aerosol product that is specifically designed to put an oily coating on metal parts. Simply cleaning it off won't keep it off. You have to protect the metal.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Try ACF-50 for prevention. Widely used in the aviation industry to protect aluminum.
If I temporarily detour the thread...I see you're in Santa Rosa. There was a picture in the paper this morning of an entire neighborhood leveled to ashes. How are you faring with the fires out there?

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Thanx for asking. We are doing well. It was close but our neighborhood survived. It's been one hell of a week. Our town will never be the same and many of our friends and associates have lost homes. Say a prayer for us.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Thanx for asking. We are doing well. It was close but our neighborhood survived. It's been one hell of a week. Our town will never be the same and many of our friends and associates have lost homes. Say a prayer for us.
It's been a bad season for disasters in this country. Sorry for what you all have been through. Glad you were spared the worst.

·
Registered
984 Posts
It is aluminum corrosion and you are fighting a losing battle. Any abrasive methods of cleaning will just give the water, salt and harsh chemicals more defects in the surface coating to attack. Parts of your engine will soon look the same if not worse over time.

My recommendation is to let it go and learn to live with it and just ride. If you keep the bike long enough to need a caliper rebuild you can have them powder coated to protect them from the elements. Here is mine, powder coated in Red Baron Red. The red calipers look good on my Silver/Black K7.

·
Premium Member
1,656 Posts
Do not use STEEL wool to clean aluminum. It will embed tiny steel particles in the aluminum and lead to further dissimilar-metals corrosion. You can get wool made from all the common metals. Use the same as what the metal is, aluminum wool, copper wool, brass wool, etc. Or a plastic-based media such as Scotchbrite.

If you live in an area that uses corrosive crap on the roads for winter ice-prevention, your bike will soon look like mine, meaning rotten from end-to-end.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts