StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided I'm going to ride the cabot trail this summer. I'll be on vacation from saturday August 13 to sunday august 21. I live on the south shore suburb's of Quebec City; Lévis.

I plan 2 days to get there, 2 days of ride on the cape breton island, and 2 days to get back

I'm looking for a place to stay for 3 nights near the cabot trail, as well as 2 night in New Brunswick on my way and on the return

I'd also like to know what to see, where to ride beside the cabot trail in this area. I want to do the cabot trail each way around, too

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Lousibourg vaut une journée ou deux.

Please visit Louisbourg. The fortress is well maintained and magnificently managed.

Louisbourg, Cape Breton Island: Louisbourg and Area

Bilingual link about the fortress:
http://www.fortressoflouisbourg.ca/

This fortress was very important in Canada's history, and you will enjoy a day spent here. People work at the jobs they would have had almost three centuries ago, and explain their roles in the settlement within the fort.

I enjoyed my visit to this site, and I wish I had spent a whole day there.

Keith

·
Registered
180 Posts
let us know when

you are passing thru our part of Canada. On hiway 11 in New Brunswick Kouchibouguac National Park is one of the newest in the maritimes. 5 miles of beach .always a quite spot to rest etc. 90 km from Moncton.

hiway 6 in Nova Scotia to Malagash for Jost Winery. great wines with free samples and tours. Continue to Pictou look for the replica and sorry story of the Hector that brought the first Irish settlers also the factory that makes world renown Grohmann Knives.....

biggest thing to order prior to leaving is order the doers and dreamers guide tourist book for Nova Scotia. , also the Motorcycle guide ...free.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Please visit Louisbourg. The fortress is well maintained and magnificently managed.
+10,000 It is a world-class living history museum!

I was there for about 4 hours in 2009 and it wasn't even close to being enough time. Headed back in September this year, God willing.

Hope she's still there:

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
You don't have enough time to see all of the places that will be listed here. Within the time frame you have given, you will have to make a choice of visiting Nova Scotia, or Cape Breton.

You will pass through parts of Nova Scotia to get to Cape Breton. But, if you decide to stop and explore Nova Scotia, you will not have time to explore Cape Breton. Pick one or the other.

Most likely, you are riding with a GPS. My suggestion is to remove it from your bike and not to use it. Instead, purchase good road maps. That way, you can share your journey with a stranger in this fashion; "Excuse me, I am passing through this area, (pointing at the map), can you tell me where a good campground is, or motel, restaurant, muesum, etc, is?" With a GPS, that is very hard to do.

Many people have made a point to ride to Meat Cove at the tip of Cape Breton. I have done the same. I have asked these people, "Did you go down to the beach?" "No", is always the answer. I rode down to the beach and that is where I met a neat fellow named "Chirs". We had a wonderful conversation.

Take maps, ask questions of the people who live in the areas you are passing through. You WILL find your way because the local people want to help you.

That is my advice.

BTW, I like the people at the Tim Horton's in Levis. They have been helpful to me in the past as I have passed through there.

B.L.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
You don't have enough time to see all of the places that will be listed here. Within the time frame you have given, you will have to make a choice of visiting Nova Scotia, or Cape Breton.
Another +10,000 from me within an hour!

Nova Scotia is HUGE, don't believe the little spot on the map. Head to Cape Breton and ride the Cabot Trail -- also spend a half day at the Louisbourg Fortress. If you stay in the town overnight, go to the theatre that night. They do it up right.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Im with blacklab on this one ,you will have too choose one or the other ,if you do the cabot and decide to go to Meat Cove I believe you can also camp there as well ,On the top of the cliff with lots of fresh air ,but you may have to make arrangements ahead of time ... great ride either way .. I have also done it on a bicycle as well. OH! what a ride.... :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
My wife and I were there a number of years ago. All great advice so far.

We stayed at a B&B right on the Cabot Trail, just outside Baddeck. It was a perfect spot and the owners were amazing. We stayed for four days and became part of the family. The owners would join us for breakfast, we were invited to sit with them and watch TV and drink tea in the evenings. It was very memorable.

Taigh Mairi Bed & Breakfast (House of Maria), Baddeck, Bed and Breakfast Accommodation

We met friends from Ontario for dinner one night at the Baddeck Lobster Suppers and had a great time. Very casual dining, well priced, excellent food and they offer all you can eat, bowls of mussels, as an appetizer. mmmmmmmmm...mussels

Baddeck Lobster Suppers - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia - Canada

A stop at the Alexander Graham Bell National Historic Site is an interesting use of an hour, or so. It is right in Baddeck too.

Alexander Graham Bell National Historic Site

One of my all-time favorite motorcycle pictures came from that trip. I headed out really early on my 2001 Honda Shadow Spirit and got this at a stop.

Man, remembering all this makes me want to go back.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
If you have only 2 days...

day 1 CT clockwise via Rt19
day 2 CT counter clockwise including Margaree Valley

It will serve as the basis for planning your next trip (or your next bike...C14?).

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wow, thanks everyone for the information.

I began to read one of the link posted, and discovered Cabot Trail Motorcycle Retreat, in Middle River. I'm thinking about reserving for 3 nights there. I think this is a good base point to do the cabot trail cw and ccw, as well as riding the Sidney area or around the Bras D'or Lake.

Since this is a short trip, I know I won't be able to see every attraction. Actually, I really want to concentrate on riding beautiful roads.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
With you in spirit, anyway.

"Riding beautiful roads"?

I am sorry, but there is no way to avoid those. You are doomed to succeed.

I liked ME-6 and ME-9 across Maine, but I was eager to reach things beyond Maine. I hope you use the fine roads of Québec and New Brunswick in at least one direction, but if you ride New England, ME-6 will please you.

You might consider going one way through Milo, ME and
the other way through Bathurst NB, but I am no expert.

Keith

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
Cape Breton

Been there and loved it and it will be a small part of this summer's Around the Gulf of St Lwrence Loop.
But with only 2 days; just ride and forget Louisburg and as well the Graham Bell Museum. Even though I found the museum awesome and spent an entire rainy afternoon there.
Find you way to Port Hood and follow gravel as much as possible and stop in at the Red Shoe Pub in Mabou. Do the CB Trail and get to "Meat Cove Camping" and possibly book ahead with Ken McLellan 902 383-2379 to camp or rent a small shelter/cabin because his space is very limited. The modest local Chowder House in Neils Harbour will feed you well; so will the High Wheeler deli in Baddeck.
Good luck finding your way to Marble Mountain; fully loaded with my wife aboard we got stopped because of way to much rain and a maze of deep muddy roads.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I finally reserved at for 3 nights. It's what I call a Bed & Garage; everything a motorcyclist need to keep riding.

If I were leaving tomorow morning, that would be my plan

Day 1+2 : getting to the trail
Lévis, QC à Middle River's Cabot Trail Motorcycle Retreat - Google Maps

Day 3 : doing the trail, CountercClockWise
Middle River's Cabot Trail Motorcycle Retreat à Middle River's Cabot Trail Motorcycle Retreat - Google Maps

Day 4 : lower cape breton island
Middle River's Cabot Trail Motorcycle Retreat à Middle River's Cabot Trail Motorcycle Retreat - Google Maps

day 5+6 : go home
Middle River's Cabot Trail Motorcycle Retreat à Lévis, QC - Google Maps

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm from Cheticamp (living in Hfx now :( ) and can say you've made a great choice. The ride up to Middle River from Baddeck is great and the road winds through the river valley with enough turns to keep you awake..:)
One note of caution while in the National Park, there are moose..lots of moose and they tend to be out at daybreak and dusk...ride with extra caution at these times.
The campers and rv's tend to drag a bit of gravel onto the road in the twisty bits,so the usual caution there.
After coming out of the park on the Ingonish side, see if the Englishtown Ferry works on your route..it's a neat little trip ( 10 minutes)...this is always a nice photo opportunity.
Don't worry about GPS....just stop at any store or gas station and you'll get more help than you could ever need. That's the best part of Cape Breton !
There is a Suzuki dealer in Truro that would be on your way if you need anything before hitting Cape Breton.
Ride safe.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts