StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry I know the info is somewhere on here but I cannot find it.
I want to run my heated grips thru a relay and also a centech ap1 fuse panel.
I want it switched so if I forget to shut grips off the key/relay does this for me.
I understand there is a plug-in, easy to get to for taillights under left? sidepanel....What color should I grab (+ feed to tailight) for the triggered wire on relay? Is this a good idea? I am using a simple 5 prong relay , the 30, 85, 86, 87 x2 relay along with a centech ap1 fuse panel...how should the relay be wired across this panel. Thanks, still learning. My stebel horn is blasting, I just wired that. Doug

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
A 4 prong relay is all you need. 87a is normally closed so isn't needed in a fuse panel activation relay. Airheads Beemer Club - Relays: FAQ and Tech
Good trigger wires are orange with a green stripe or solid brown. Ignore colored dots. They are not part of the color code. The power wire to the rear brake light switch for the O/G or the Br wire in the sheath along the left side of the under seat tray are good locations. Note the Br wire is hot with the ignition in Park but the O/G is not. Eastern Beaver has stuff that plugs right in but there is a $20 minimum order. Suzuki VStrom Electrics

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Once again Greywolf has it

I will only add that radio shak has gret screw terminal blocks I just ZIP TIE to a frame rail.

Good thicker wire can be had at Home Depot

I will be HOT wiring my GPS because if your on a route and shut it off you can't get back on the route. My Garmin would just re route you back to the starting point.

·
38,104 Posts
Terminal blocks aren't fused. You really need a fuse block. Putting all the accessories on one fuse big enough to handle them all is poor practice.

·
Registered
57 Posts
What about the heated grips plug behind the radiator shroud? Thats already fused and the wiring is already at the front of the bike.

·
38,104 Posts
What about the heated grips plug behind the radiator shroud? Thats already fused and the wiring is already at the front of the bike.
That's a valid choice. It's another location for the O/G wire. All the wires mentioned run off the signals fuse.

·
Registered
67 Posts
SOrry to hijack the thread, but I am in the process of hooking up a Blue Sea fuse block, and I have only been able to find a 5-pronged relay (with 2x87 connectors). Can I simply wrap the extra 87 terminal with some shrink tube and seal it off, and have the relay still function as intended?

Thanks,

Dave

·
38,104 Posts
SOrry to hijack the thread, but I am in the process of hooking up a Blue Sea fuse block, and I have only been able to find a 5-pronged relay (with 2x87 connectors). Can I simply wrap the extra 87 terminal with some shrink tube and seal it off, and have the relay still function as intended?

Thanks,

Dave
Sure. Just don't use 87a. It is normally hot so sealing it off is a good idea.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks, as always, GW.

I do have a quick follow-up question though: How do I tell which is 87 and which is 87a. If I lay the relay down, with one of the 87's at 12:00, as in the diagram, the other 87 post is right beneath it, in the middle of the other posts. Sorry I don't have a picture available. I had planned on using the "top" 87, and covering the one that's in the middle of all the posts,. Does this sound right? I guess I could try it this way, and if I have picked the wrong 87, I could reverse things.

Also, does anyone have an extra 16 guage (I assume the brown wire I will splice into is 16) posi-tap (blue) they would be willing to sell and mail my way? I will post this request in the marketplace section, but thought I'd leave it here too. There is no local supplier of the posi-tap connectors near me, and it seems my only option is to order a small box of those connectors, which, with shipping, is going to be close to $20. Seems like a lot for the one connector I need.

Thanks,

Dave

·
38,104 Posts
The relay posts should be labeled. If you can't read it, 87a and 30 will have continuity with the relay not wired. You can easily test for that.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks again GW. I will have a closer look at the fine print on the relay and hope that solves things for me.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a poor picture of the relay, but will have to figure out how to attach it.

My relay does not differentiate between the two 87 posts. one 87, the 30, 85, and 86 posts are virtually evenly spaced at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock, while the other 87 post is centered amongst the others. This centered one does have a L and H on either side of it. It's a headlight relay, so I assume that could stand for low or hi beams. could that be 87 a, and the one I should cover and forget about?

Thanks,

Dave

·
38,104 Posts
Assuming the relay is thrown to activate the high beam, H is the equivalent of 87 and L is 87a.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts