StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may have been discussed numerous times, but I need pictures, please.
I am planning a trip from the lower 48 up through Whitehorse, Yukon, Dawson City, and eventually North up the Dempster Highway to Tuktoyaktuk in July 2019.
I have Oxford heated grips and am considering a heated vest. Maybe a full heated jacket liner would be nice, but I am realistic and do not expect my bike to be able to power too much more than my Oxford grips and a vest.
I am also a person who needs to keep low power things charged such as Garmin GPS, cell phone, IPad, Drone batteries (Mavic Air) probably inside my tank bag.
The big question is where to install power port(s) on my 2015 V-Strom 650 XT ABS.
Please, does anyone have good pictures and electrical installation suggestions?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Mostly what I am talking about is a Powerlet location. I already have a battery tender that I can pull from under my seat to wherever I want. I am talking a bout a really neat and secure power port location.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
I installed a 2x USB port and voltmeter up front, and a power port for heated jacket liner on the left side. See attached pics.

Installing in the vertical panel like my USB port and voltmeter as pictured, you have to be quite careful about placement and depth. There are some supports behind the plastics and varying amounts of available depth that make placement a little tricky. Were I to do it again, I'd probably install roughly on the horizontal sections circled in red -- fewer obstruction / depth considerations.

The heated jacket liner port on the left side is a little too far forward for my liking, so if I did it again I'd locate it more rearwards. Again, however, the structure of the plastics and the available space underneath the plastics will dictate possible alternative locations.

For tank bag, you might also consider just having a loose dongle to toss into your tank bag from the front, rear, or side of the bag. When not in use, you could tuck the dongle away / strap it down with velcro, etc.

Edit to add: the USB port and voltmeter are hooked up to the stock accessory plug, while the jacket liner power plug is connected to my switched fuse panel.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts