StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy a hard topcase for my Weestrom. There are lots of choices out there in the new and used markets, but I need some help deciding.

Required features:

- Enough room for a Shoei RF1000 size M helmet, a camera bag capable of holding a DSLR, 2 lenses, and a flash unit, and maybe some room left over - but keeping the size otherwise minimal

Optional features:

- Key compatibility with my Givi monokey side cases
- Integrated brake lamp

Suggestions? Also, if you're selling one that might fit the bill, feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Givi e52 w/ Admore Lighting brake/blinker/running light kit

I squirmed a little at the price when I first bought mine but love it to pieces now and very happy it's what I chose.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I agree. . .can't be too big. . .I use whatever the largest Shad is (I think 50 ?). . .I use it w/pelican 1550's--plenty of room for camping, etc.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Depends on priorities. The sears topcase is hard to beat as far as value. The Givi is certainly a little nicer but I'm pretty happy with my sears trunk and $42 is tough to beat. Bottom line, it you want to spend a couple hundred bucks go somewhere else. If you want a decent topcase for a great price look at this one.

http://auto.sears.com/Item.htm?catalogId=10624&productId=100000656812&appId=

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts

I squirmed a little at the price when I first bought mine but love it to pieces now and very happy it's what I chose.
+1
That's all you need to know.

·
Registered
63 Posts
you can never go too big. splurge on the e55.

Best place to buy the e55? Price? Does it have matching side bags?

Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

That Admore kit looks pretty awesome. Any reliability or installation issues, or other gotchas I should be aware of?

·
Registered
450 Posts
That Admore kit looks pretty awesome. Any reliability or installation issues, or other gotchas I should be aware of?
If you're going to go with the Admore kit, don't buy the Givi case with the lights already installed - save money and get the one w/o lights. A friend of mine has the same Givi case as mine but with the Givi-installed light kit -- very dim lights compared to the Admore and it doesn't have the "blinker" function. Installation of the Admore kit is a piece of cake ... even for the "fabrication-challenged" like me. I took about an hour to install the light kit including re-reading the instructions several times and triple checking my work... basically being obsessive-compulsive. The biggest challenge I had was fitting my hands into the tight spot where the factory wiring runs along the left side to tap the lines. You'll either need a wiring diagram to know which wires to tap on your bike or I'm sure there are other posts here stating the insulation colors you need to find. Admore includes posi-taps that work great.

As for reliability, Admore had an issue with the wiring harness being spoofed by the 08+ Suzuki circuit when I bought mine two years ago that would make the lights blink. They replaced the harness very quickly and it's been issue-free ever since. In speaking with them, they re-programmed the control circuit in their harness and I bought mine just as they were becoming aware of the trouble so it's long since been updated on new purchases. I like their disconnect much better than the one Givi uses and the latter is known for early failures.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
If money is not a big concern than Givi. However be aware the bigger the box, the more it is effected by wind and such. Also note that top cases and side cases have speed and weight limits. yes people often exceed both, but I have seen cracked tails from too many heavy loads.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If money is not a big concern than Givi. However be aware the bigger the box, the more it is effected by wind and such. Also note that top cases and side cases have speed and weight limits. yes people often exceed both, but I have seen cracked tails from too many heavy loads.
Yeah, I'm a little worried about the wind factor and other handling issues. I already leave my side luggage off if I don't need it, because I've noticed it adversely affects the handling of my bike through high-speed twisties.

In fact, I'm considering removing the requirement that my hard case be able to contain a helmet for this reason. What if it were just an overnight change of clothes and my camera gear?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Hard to go wrong with Givi top cases. I chose a H&B Junior case instead and it is probably the best piece of luggage I've owned on a bike. Super durable and it fits the look of the 'strom imo.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Which model? And are they compatible with Givi keys?
There are various models, the S48 (48 litre capacity) holds a full face hlemet and some other stuff easily, not sure a camera case and other things would fit (don't know how big that camera case of yours is). The S55 (55 litre capacity) holds two F/F helmets. BUT they are not going to use Givi keys...although they have their own keys which includes a cool remote key "fob", push the button and you get the little "chirp-chirp" lock/unlock like on your car doors, so it's more convenient and cool...err...."Coo"......

Those of us with 'em seem to dig 'em, I know I'm very happy with my S48.

BUT probly only other givis will use givi keys, eh?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
My bad - looks like I got my capacities and description wrong. I have the S48 and come to think of it, yes two F/F helmets would fit if they were lined up just right.

I wll say that the motion detector "alarm" is really pathetically funny. It's very low-volume chirping/beeping. Might get the attention of a sparrow or a finch. Good for a grin though. :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts