StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to get a topcase rather than panniers, to keep the bike's narrow profile. I can always add panniers later if I'm going on a trip and need the space (but who am I kidding, I'm not going anywhere :)).

I'm looking for a case that's waterproof, lockable, easily removable, and will hold at least a FF helmet plus some riding gear. I'm leaning towards GIVI because it's the de facto industry standard; they make mounts to fit just about any bike. The cases I'm mainly considering are the E52 or V46 in black (safe choice - goes with everything) but undecided between flat or gloss finish.

Any thoughts/experiences with these cases? Any others I should be looking at? Are the backrest or luggage rack worth getting?

K

·
0 Posts
I'm leaning towards the E36NJ for $128. It will hold a helmet, jacket and gloves and is basic black in color.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The E36 will hold some helmets. It won't hold my Arai GTR XL size though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Look at Hepco Becker bags. The 45L holds two FF helmets. They are quick to remove, very well made, strong, and the rack is placed perferctly for my wife's comfort. (no small consideration)

Vincent

·
Registered
144 Posts
I went with the E460 in flat black. I exchanged the E45 when I saw it "in person." The E460 is not much more than the E45/E45NJ and is more steamlined looking with better looking trim. The red stripe on the E45 is just pin-stripe tape and not necessarily applied straight! You also have to apply the other decals (not on NJ). I went with flat black because it will not show the scratches and other marks, such as kicking it when you throw your leg over) as easily. Because of their size, to me, they are bulky/bulbouse looking anyway.

I also have the E21 side cases, they sit high, and being 5'6"/30" inseam, I kick those...unless I just try to slip my leg through the driver's part of the seat (with help from my right arm).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have the 46 liter Givi case, and I love it. It holds a lot of stuff. If I had the 52 liter case I would probably fill that up, too. It's like a garage--keep filling until it's full.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have the E52 on my Strom - like it a lot! It will hold two FF helmets (and a few more things too). I did not get the backrest - the side towards the passenger is flat with rounded edges, no problem if they are wearing a jacket.

Take care,
Bob S.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've got E52NF for myself (that's the one with the stop lights pre-installed).

Very nice. Fits tons of stuff, and it does not look too bulky.

·
Registered
65 Posts
GIVI is hard to beat! My Wee had e46's mounted as sidebags when I got it and they are great on a roadtrip but too wide for daily riding. I need to get a mount so I can run one as a topcase. I was just looking for a mount @ http://www.happy-trail.com/ and found they have what looks to me to be a pretty good sale on many of the GIVI bags. Check em out.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Form and Function

I settled for a Hepco Journey TC40. The Hepco rack is perfect and there's plenty of room for a pax between me and the case.

Got to tell you though, those DL's (and other's) out there with the larger liter sized cases - look like fat assed woman in my very humble opinion. I use a Wolfman Explorer tank bag for overflow and ride usually one up.

I've been kicking around the idea of side bags but the 4 mpg hit on fuel economy I'm seeing on this board is giving me 2nd thoughts. I like the idea of keeping the weight (CG) low on the bike however.

Oh those pesky tradeoffs.

Paul
'06 Red 650K6

·
Registered
65 Posts
Re: Form and Function

allonsye said:
I

Got to tell you though, those DL's (and other's) out there with the larger liter sized cases - look like fat assed woman in my very humble opinion. Oh those pesky tradeoffs.

Paul
'06 Red 650K6
Agreed,when wearing the GIVIs I have been known to sing that old song about "Fat bottomed girls making the rockin world go round" in my helmet! :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
In the free world we have humor and music of our choice, gotta love it.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the inputs. One more question: If I got the E52NF and the E528 mounting bracket, do I need anything else to wire up the brake lights? Right now that's the setup I'm probably going with.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts