StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm making plans for the disbursement of my yearly incentive payment, due next payday. :D

A GPS suitable for use mounted on my Wee is high on the farkle shopping list, along with the de-rigeur windshield, center-stand, maybe a skid plate too.

I don't know much about the state of GPS's these days but here are the features I *think* I need:

- weatherproof (duh)
- mountable on the Wee (duh)
- suitable for use way out in the boonies of Northern Ontario
- suitable for use in my boat as well
- portable enough for hiking
- useable in the car
- relatively easily transferable to my bush-bike, an XR650L
- relatively cheap, like under $200 on E-bay maybe?

Any help would be appreciated.

- Martin

·
Registered
319 Posts
A Garmin Quest would fill all your needs, except for the "under $200" part.. They're closer to $300 on eBay..

Mine is used in my car/boat/Strom/KLR650/ect..

Fantastic unit!! And easy to use.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
I like my Garmin E-Trex Legend C. They have updated it to the "CX" since I bought mine and I don't really know what they changed other than memory capacity. I get about 30 hours of use from 2 AA batteries and there is a handlebar mount for it that works fine on the V-Strom.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Check the Megallan Sport Track Color out as well. I use that for hunting, fishing and hiking and in my truck with a wind shield mount. I plan on using it on my V as soon as I put a power adapter in and get a handle bar mount.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Plus 1 on the Quest!

Go to GPSCity.com and buy the "Motorcycle Packaged" Quest. It comes with a handy-dandy mount for the motorcycle and another for the car and or boat.

The Quest will also work well as a handheld if you decide to go hiking.

It's so simple to use, even I have learned how to work it.

It's got auto-routing, color screen and voice prompts - if you wish.

I've mounted in on the left handlebar with two bars and a double ball. The unti sits right next to the mirror stalk and is very visible.

All Garmin units are "water resisitant" not waterproof. But if you feel the unit needs to come out of the rain, it's literaly a "snap" to remove it.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Another check for the Quest. I bought one for 360 NIB on ebay, and figured it out using the software within an hour. It's listed as waterproof, and after being in a downpour i don't doubt. It's been updated by the Quest 2, which for what i understand just has more memory which i can't justify the 200 bucks more. I didn't buy the motorcycle mount from Garmin, because I didn't want to run wires on my bike, however, i will say that you need the moto-kit in order to have an earspeaker port to listen to voice commands. I popped for the 40 bucks on the RAM mount from aerostich and mounted it between the risers, perfect product. I also use it in my jeep when i'm not on the strom, and I've used it on foot quite a few times on day trips. I'll post pics as soon as my fiancee gives me back the camera!

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the GPS suggestions...

I've decided to spring for a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSX, $380 from "Compuplus" and a RAM mount (with stainless-steel u-bolt) from gpscity for $36.

It's costing a LOT more :shock: than I was hoping to spend on a GPS but this unit is packed with features. I'll just have to trim my farkle shopping list, I guess. :cry:

- Martin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts